We filmed distinguished biblical scholars & theologians teaching & interacting with deeply engaged participants. Themes considered ranged from Apologetics to Martin Luther, from Spiritual Formation to Medical Ethics, from The Divine Conspiracy to Faith & Science. The courses varied from 5-day intensives to a 2-hour seminar. There were lectures and Q&A sessions.
We edited the footage, transcribed the lectures & interactions, and integrated all of it in synchronized form to present to you about 120 thought-provoking hours of genuine insight.
Faith seeking understanding, discovering wisdom. That’s our hope, in creating e4.
Three courses are free, and the rest cost US$5 or less. That's a pretty incredible deal for the quality, depth and scope of these courses.
e4 contains the following courses:
1. The Provocative Church • Graham Tomlin (14 hours). What kind of church might offer disenchanted postmoderns genuine trust, hope, & love? Graham Tomlin explores this question in a deeply moving course that is inspired by history and grounded in the scriptures. Graham is the Principal of St Paul’s Theological Centre in London and Dean of St Mellitus College.
2. Christianity: the Future • Alister McGrath (2 hours). Alister McGrath reflects on the future of Christianity. Alister is the Chair of Theology, Ministry & Education at King's College, London.
3. Apologetics • Bill Edgar (23 hours). Bill Edgar offers a historical look at Christian apologetics and culture. Bill performs jazz on the piano and offers fascinating analyses of film, art, & music. Bill is Professor of Apologetics and Coordinator of the Apologetics Department at Westminster Theological Seminary.
4. The Divine Conspiracy • Dallas Willard (19 hours). What is the good life? What does it mean to be blessed? How do we live the authentic Christian life? Dallas Willard explores these fundamental questions and offers answers rich in wisdom and biblical strength, with a focus on the Sermon on the Mount and its application to modern discipleship. Dallas is Professor in the School of Philosophy at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
5. Faith & Science • Alister McGrath (17 hours). Are science & religion fundamentally incompatible? Alister McGrath, a gifted theologian and experienced scientist, looks at the major historical developments in science, philosophy, & religion, dispelling myths and offering a thoughtful case for the complementary roles of religion & science.
6. Medical Ethics • David Cook (2 hours). David Cook presents a Biblical perspective on medical ethics. David is the Director of the Whitefield Institute in Oxford & Holmes Professor of Faith & Learning at Wheaton College.
7. Media Culture • Gordon Pennington (5 hours). Media consultant Gordon Pennington draws upon his marketing experience in a provocative course intended to help us understand and win the battle for our minds. Former director of marketing for Tommy Hilfiger, Gordon is an international consultant.
8. re:Formation • Graham Tomlin (24 hours). Graham Tomlin offers a creative program for church-based spiritual development, drawing from biblical discipleship narratives and the stories and traditions of the Reformation, with emphasis on Martin Luther's life & struggles.
9. Martin Luther • Graham Tomlin (9 hours). Graham Tomlin surveys Martin Luther, with a view to mining Luther’s wisdom for contemporary spiritual formation. [Note: this course is extracted from re:Formation, and is therefore completely contained in re:Formation]
10. Biblical Stewardship • Bruce Waltke, Randy Alcorn, Andy Stanley, Rick Warren & others (13 hours). Stewardship and giving are crucial areas of spiritual development. This course offers perspective from a diverse group of scholars, financial experts, & pastors.
1. "We"= Faith, Joe, Jonathan, Kennedy, Chad, TJ, Lauren, Sherry, Luder & Pavi.
2. Please don’t buy “Martin Luther” if you already own “re:Formation”.
Redesigned for iOS 7.
Ratings and Reviews
Thank you for providing teaching from Dallas Willard! Please keep this app maintained if at all possible. Thanks so much. J.N. Vanc, WA
e4 Fantastic Theological Content In A Portable Format
This app features a series of in-app purchases that enable the user to be able to learn from some of the most influential and thoughtful theologians and religious scholars of the modern era. Each module is reasonably priced as they contain several hours of video content of teachers like Dallas Willard, Rick Warren, Andy Stanley, Alister McGrath, Graham Tomlin, Gordon Pennington, and many others.
As an example, for $4.99, a user can purchase 19 hours of lectures from Dallas Willard sharing thoughts about spiritual formation, the nature of truth and a number of other subjects.
The app allows users to switch from watching video to reading while listening to a transcription of the lecture, and even has a feature which allows quotes to be tweeted directly from the app with the hashtag #e4app.
The lectures are divided into individual sessions of approximately one hour each so one does not need to download the entirety of the content at once, but can enjoy the lectures within a course section by section.
Overall, I highly recommend this app for its quality of content and its extremely affordable and portable platform.
I would say this borders on false advertising. I saw the app, read the descriptions, and got pretty excited about the content. Much to my surprise, there is NO free content. The app is free, but unless you pay for each and every session, there is absolutely no content to the app. This was quite frustrating, and I plan to delete it right away.
I am sure the content is top notch, and I don't have a problem with the content being available for a charge. Just don't call the app FREE and then mention nothing about the fact that you have to by all the content of the app to get any use out of it.
- Pavithran Thomas
- 61.6 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © e4
- In-App Purchases
- The Divine Conspiracy $4.99
- Apologetics $4.99
- Faith & Science $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.