Easy CSV Editor is one of the best editors for CSV and TSV data files you'll find on the market. In a clean and user-friendly interface, it offers simplicity and flexibility to edit both small and large documents.
• Open, create, edit and save CSV & TSV documents even if they are not properly formatted, like don't have the same number of fields in each row!
• Resizable rows and columns so you can easily see the whole content of the cells.
• Set up to 10 rows as header rows and 10 columns as header columns. Choose if these stay frozen or not.
• Sort the entire document or a range of rows, based on multiple sorting rules.
• Find duplicate (or unique) data from your documents.
• Merge or split the selected cells or entire columns.
• Split documents by number of rows or document size. This is available from "File -> Split...".
• Hide rows and columns.
• Autofill by establishing a pattern from the selected cells, and if no pattern can be determined then simply repeat the selected cells.
• Fill the selected cells using text of your choice.
• Find and Replace text using a familiar, yet powerful, interface.
• Find and Replace is supported in the entire document as well as in selected columns/rows/cells.
• Find lets you configure where in the cells' text to look for matches: "Contains", "Equals To", "Starts With" and "Ends With".
• Find also lets you search for special patterns, some of the supported ones being "empty cells/fields", "emails", "URLs", "phone numbers".
• Use "Clear" menu item to "cut" the last fields from a row (or even entire rows!). This way you can produce beautiful documents, without the usual clutter produced by the in excess field separators.
• Auto-detect CSV format, while providing you the option to adjust the detected parameters.
• Copy, cut or clear a group of cells or entire rows or columns.
• Full support for Undo & Redo.
• Copy & Paste data between Easy CSV Editor and other applications (i.e. Excel, Numbers). Works the other way around, too!
• Text transformations which allow you to cleanup and beautify your documents.
• Customize the font used to display the CSV data. You can even increase or decrease the font size per document window (from "View" menu). These changes are persisted between application relaunches!
• You can configure, from "Preferences" -> "General" tab, whether or not you want to be prompted for CSV input properties each time you open a file that has been opened before. If you choose to not be prompted then the application will use the last known properties for that file to open it.
• Status bar at the bottom of the CSV window. On the left, it shows various statistics about the selection or document. On the right, it shows a calculation performed on the selected cells. You can choose one of the following calculations: Sum, Average, Min, Max, Count Numbers.
• A big, resizable, text box located above the status bar showing the content of selected cell. You can edit the text in this box, too. Use Command + Enter shortcut to quickly put the focus in this box.
• Customize the CSV properties when the document is saved.
• Quickly visualize and change the properties of an opened document - just hit Command + I or "Inspector" button in the toolbar.
• Drag & Move entire columns and rows.
• Add rows or columns, via existing shortcuts or menu items, to the left/right/up/down of selection.
• Insert copied rows/columns above or below the selection.
• Quickly jump to a row (Command + L).
• Quickly jump to the cells which are selected (Command + J).
• Quickly move, via existing shortcuts or menu items, to document's left/right/top/bottom margin.
• Preferences - among other things you can change the visibility of gridlines, column headers, footers and line numbers.
• Full screen support.
• Tabs support on macOS Sierra 10.12 and above.
• Dark Mode support on macOS Mojave 10.14
• To have a better visibility of the selected cells, especially when working on big screens, you can now highlight the entire rows or columns corresponding to the selected cells. This can be achieved from "Preferences" -> "View" tab, by checking "Highlight: Entire rows for the selected cells" and "Highlight: Entire columns for the selected cells".
• Adds "Include resulting cells which are empty" option to the ones available for "Split" functionality. By default this option is turned on.
• The title of the print job now reflects the real name of the document instead of showing "Untitled".
Introduced in Version 1.39
Support for "header columns"
• You may choose up to ten columns to be part of the "header columns".
• The number of "header columns" can be configured from "Table" -> "Header Columns" menu or right clicking the column header.
• The "header columns" may be set to be "frozen" (or not), from "Table" -> "Freeze Header Columns".
• All the empty rows and columns can now be selected using "Edit" -> "Select All Empty Rows" and "Edit" -> "Select All Empty Columns" menu items.
• Fixes a crash which rarely happened when performing a "Paste".
• Fixes an issue where the calculations from the status bar were affected by a slight error, for example instead of "135.8" the application displayed "135.80000000000002". This happened only for numbers having fractional part and only in some situations.
• The sheet for the CSV input properties now allows you to select up to 10 header rows, bringing consistency with "Table" -> "Header Rows" menu.
Introduced in Version 1.38
Reduce the Intrusiveness Caused by Sheets
• This release aims to reduce the intrusiveness caused by the presentation of sheets, by moving the configuration and execution of some actions into a sidebar located at the right of the CSV document.
• More precisely, the options for Sort, Merge, Split, Fill and Pad are now presented in the right siderbar.
• The main advantage of this change is that you can easily navigate the CSV document while the options are visible on the screen.
• You can toggle the visibility of the above-mentioned options by using the buttons from the toolbar or by selecting one of the items from "View" menu: "Show/Hide Sort Options", "Show/Hide Merge Options", "Show/Hide Split Options", "Show/Hide Fill Options", "Show/Hide Pad Options".
• To choose which columns to sort by, you can also select one or more columns in the main document, right click the header of one of the selected columns and choose "Set as Column(s) to Sort by". This is in addition to manually picking the columns in the "Sort" sidebar.
• New windows are no longer opened in the upper left corner of the screen but rather in the middle and then cascaded from here. This is especially handy if you have a big screen.
Ratings and Reviews
Moving Excel documents to Filemaker Pro
I am a FileMaker Pro person in an Excel world. I hate it when someone sends me an Excel spreadsheet as a report with headers and footers, rows and columns and extra chunks of text that I don’t need. Easy CVS Editor lets me clean up the data and remove unwanted formatting, unneeded text, rows or columns. I save the Excel Spread sheet as .csv and open it in Easy CSV Editor. Then edit out the information I don’t need. FileMaker Pro can then import the data for me to use. The process works very well and I can bring the information into FileMaker Pro with out a lot of hassle.
If you are doing OCR from a document with lots of tabs, Easy CSV Editor could also help keep your columns in line.
Developer Response ,
cmugrick, glad to hear you find Easy CSV Editor useful! And thank you for the review and rating. If there is any improvement you'd like to see, don't hesitate to write me (at email@example.com)
I use Google Sheets for my spreadsheet work because I find it allows me to work more quickly than I can in Excel. But Google Sheets doesn’t handle large files. All of the reports I download have rows and columns that can be eliminated with no significant loss of information, and, once reduced, they can be imported into Google Sheets. That’s what I use Easy CSV for. Easy CSV has handled the largest files I use, and its clean interface and speedy Find, Sort, and Delete functions (compared to Excel) make it a great tool for slimming down unweildy files. An added benefit of paring down the files is that it makes it easier to analyze them visually.
Developer Response ,
Petezger, thank you for the review and the rating! I'm happy to hear that you like the application and you find it useful. If there is anything else you would like to see in the app, don't hesitate to contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Efficient, effective tool for quickly working with CSVs
I work with CSV files a lot when doing data analysis. I often need to quickly open a file, rearrange columns, search/replace values, and so on. Spreadsheet tools like Numbers or Google Sheets are too heavy for these tasks, with UIs overly cluttered for the task at-hand. Easy CSV Editor, on the other hand, lets me quickly and painlessly work with CSV files without getting in the way.
It’s well worth the cost. In fact, I probably saved more many than I paid (in time saved at work) in the first few days of using it.
Developer Response ,
charliebay, thank you for the review! I’m so glad you find the application useful and it brings value to you. If there is anything that you feel can help even more (and it’s missing), please don’t hesitate to write me at email@example.com
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.