Unique: Measure the distance from a depth map created by the two (dual) back cameras of your iPhone!
The two back cameras of the iPhone X and 7/8 Plus offer a unique opportunity to calculate the distance to objects seen be the two cameras. These cameras effectively mimic how the two eyes of human beings enable distance estimations. This app enables you to utilize this phenomenon, create a depth map and use your iPhone as an accurate measurement device!
The scientific term for distance calculations from two cameras is stereopsis, or binocular disparity. Distance is derived from the different projection of objects onto each retina to judge depth. By using two images of the same scene obtained from slightly different angles, it is possible to triangulate the distance to an object with a high degree of accuracy. Each camera views a slightly different angle of an object seen by the left and right camera. This happens because of the horizontal separation the cameras. If an object is far away, the disparity of that image falling on both cameras will be small. If the object is close or near, the disparity will be large.
EasyDistance is using an innovative, highly efficient calculation algorithm to quickly derive the distance to objects you capture with your camera. No need for tape measures anymore, as EasyDistance will work accurately up to 4 meters! No calibration needed!!
NOTE: Due to the close separation distance between the dual cameras, EasyDistance can measure accurately between 15 and 400 cm (6 - 160 inches). Best results are obtained when you support your phone on a stable surface when taking measurements!
HOW TO USE IN 3 SIMPLE STEPS
1) Drag and aim the yellow target box at the object you want to measure. Notice the distance estimates on the screen
2) Tap the Measurement button for a more accurate calculation of the distance
3) EasyDistance will accurately derive the distance to the object. In the captured screen, you can drag the yellow target box to measure other objects
Note that when you save your measurements, you can always go back to the photo and measures distances at any location on the photo (upgraded version).
TIPS FOR ACCURATE MEASUREMENTS
- Support your iPhone on a stable surface to ensure minimal movement of your phone during the measurement
- Always use your iPhone in portrait orientation when using the app
- Tap the toggle button on the top left to view the depth map
- Make sure the object you intend to measure has sufficient 'edges'. Especially vertically oriented edges help to make the measurement successfull. A completely uniform area cannot be measures, as the two cameras will not be able to distinguish differences from their view points
- Ensure a well-lit, bright environment. If the measurement is unsuccessful, you can switch on the flashlight in the app.
- During the measurement procedure, try to hold the iPhone as steady as possible. For best results, place or lean your iPhone against a solid, stable support when taking a measurement
- Measurements up to 4 meters are possible, and down to about 15 cm
DISCLAIMER: To function correctly, this app needs the dual camera that are currently available on the iPhone X and 7/8 Plus. The app will not work on other devices. To measure distance on other devices, please use our app EasyMeasure.
Fixed an issue with requesting camera permissions
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I have been looking for a distance measuring app for a while now, given the 7+ has two cameras. This, as far as I can tell, is the first of its kind in the Apple store, and for that I commend it. It doesn't work as well as I'd like (sometimes horribly) but I applaud the developer for being the first to try this. I hope that future updates and apps from other developers will bring much more accuracy. For now, it's more a gimmick than a tool.
Two different objects which were the same distance away (10ft) came up as 1'3" and 50'0"
Don't waist your time or money! I haven't had an accurate measurement yet.. I want me money back..
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Caramba App Development
- 9.5 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 Caramba Apps
- In-App Purchases
- EasyDistance Premium $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.