Editorial is a plain text editor for iOS with powerful automation tools and a beautiful inline preview for Markdown, TaskPaper, and Fountain documents.
* Inline Markdown/Fountain Preview – With Editorial's subtle syntax highlighting, you can see your document's formatting immediately while you're writing. And when you need a full HTML preview, it's just a swipe away.
* Extensible with Workflows and Scripts – Select from over 50 text processing actions to create your own workflows for extending Editorial's feature set. For even more advanced automation, you can write Python scripts with an integrated code and UI editor.
* Dropbox Sync – The sync folder is customizable, so you can easily edit your documents with multiple apps.
* Smart Keyboard – The extended keyboard was specifically designed for writing Markdown and includes all the special characters you need. You can also control the cursor with simple swipe gestures.
* Snippets – Quickly insert frequently-used pieces of text by typing abbreviations. Snippets can include dynamic text, e.g. the current date or clipboard contents. TextExpander™ snippets are also supported.
* In-App Browser – If you need to do some quick research while writing, you don't have to leave the app for that. You can even open multiple tabs.
* "Folding" allows you to quickly hide individual sections of your document while you're writing.
*** *** ***
“It would be hard to imagine a better editor, let alone recommend one that actually exists.” — The Verge
“This is it. Editorial sets a new standard for third-party iOS automation, and, for me, there’s no going back.” — Federico Viticci, MacStories
“Editorial just reinvented iOS text editing.” — Merlin Mann
• Added support for the iPhone X with its native resolution.
• Changed toolbar color in the preview/accessory panel – this makes it easier to distinguish the preview from the editor.
• Improved performance for switching between dark and light mode.
• The accessory panel (preview, in-app browser...) uses the same tab bar UI on iPhone and iPad now.
• Removed support for the public workflow directory. Your shared workflows will remain online for the foreseeable future, but the directory will soon become read-only. You can still share workflows using the "Copy Workflow" feature, of course, which is more flexible anyway, as it allows you to put your workflows in any plain text file.
• Fixed an issue with explanatory text in the settings being displayed incorrectly (particularly on small screens).
• Fixed footnote navigation in Markdown preview.
• Fixed table view actions not being executed in "Custom UI" workflow actions.
• Fixed a few issues with inline boneyard in Fountain documents.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app, would like to see additional functionality
Been using the app for some time now. It has a lot of great features and works very well. I especially like the folding headings feature which allows me to hide and show different parts of a document. The only disappointing thing so far on the app is that it does not allow folding subheadings which would be very helpful for organizing more complex documents.
Best markdown editor for iOS
This is my favorite Markdown editor; I have never found another that comes even close—search works amazingly well every time I've had to find something; I love how customizable the typography while you're working is and how you can write your own CSS for preview themes (so few editors do this, and it's so satisfying to not only write in text that pleases me but also use the Markdown previews I create in a form that's most beautiful and useful to me, right in the app); the UI isn't too graphical and clunky, but more like a filesystem, which gives me more space to work; the extra keyboard keys and macros are so useful and easy to use and set up (I use them all the time). I adore this app! I take all my technical notes in it because of how customizable it is, the Multimarkdown support, the TextExpander support, and how sweet it is not having to put up with themes you dislike but know how to fix if only the app would let you.
(Thank you so much for updating! I've missed the full functionality of this app, but everything works wonderfully now.)
The Most Powerful Writing App
I use it primarily for note taking in meetings, at conferences, etc and it works amazingly for my workflow. I do agree that the app is ready for some updates, however in my opinion it was 6 years ahead of it's time when it was released. Ole Zorn is a forward-thinking genius and Apple is just beginning to even become close to catching up from the OS side by acquiring Workflow and launching Siri Shortcuts. At this point, the app is still ahead of it's time in some areas, but just barely beginning to fall behind in other areas. It's important to keep in mind that Editorial is primarily geared toward power users with at least a little bit of programming knowledge, the extremely negative reviews are coming from users who were in way over their head when they installed it. If you have a little bit of curiosity, hunger to learn, ans commitment to improving the way you write or take notes, Editorial is for you.
The developer, omz:software, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.