EFA automates and simplifies email management. EFA is built on the premise that every time you want to file an email, your brain needs to conduct a context switch. That is, it needs to interrupt a usually high-value cognitive task for a low-value task, which is to think about where an email should be filed and then drag and drop that email into the target mailbox.
EFA addresses this issue by keeping track of the location of emails in your mailboxes. By analysing previous filings it is able to suggest the most likely locations where an email could be filed. All you need to do is to confirm a suggestion and EFA takes care of the rest.
Based on this premise, EFA presently offers the main key capabilities
- Individual Filing: The filing of a single email or a group of emails
- Batch Filing: The automatic filing of emails from an entire mailbox, such as Sent Items or Inbox
- Email Reply: A workflow that joins the steps of sending a reply email, filing it and co-filing the original email.
EFA functionality can be accessed from
- The main EFA window, both in a full and a minimalistic version
- A Head up Display, which is always in the foreground
- The Dock
- The Touch Bar on compatible MacBook Pro models.
- The keyboard.
EFA requires Apple Mail, which is part of macOS.
EFA 5's primary focus is the implementation of the EFA Mail Extension for Apple Mail through MailKit to integrate some functionality of EFA directly into Apple Mail: As the user is writing an email, the EFA Mail Extension lets them select the folder into which EFA should file the mail after sending. This feature eliminates the manual step of filing the email from the Sent Items mailbox. It has been the #1 feature request by EFA users. The EFA Mail Extension requires the main EFA 5 app to run and Object Reference Caching to be active (see EFA preferences -> Other)
Other new features and improvements are:
1) Indexing: When using the Single Mailbox index functionality, the new 'Include Sub-Mailboxes' checkbox improves the speed of refreshing indexes when the user has tidied up their folder structure manually.
2) New preference setting under the 'other' tab: The simplified HUD is more slimline and only shows the mailbox name and the search function.
3) Batch Filing: Added context menu to exclude proposed mailbox from filing. The context menu accelerates the creation of a list of excluded mailboxes) that EFA should not automatically file into
4) General: Create a hotkey option for opening the main window instead of having to go through the View menu bar: shift-command-0
Ratings and Reviews
Needs a hotkey desperately
I've started using it and seems quite good. It took me sometime to realise that the app and Mail windows must be on your screen. If I could call the app with a hotkey, or from within Mail, that would give all the available 'space' from Mail.
works sometimes, sometimes not
EFA has been really helpful with filing messages in Apple Mail. But it requires a separate window, and its ability to predict the correct mailbox for filing does not always work or works really slowly. The 'send and file' function has never worked despite repeated attempts. The developer is intermittently responsive. There are lots of useful features, but I don't use many of them so can't rate the product on that. All I want is quick and accurate filing. And so far I've not found anything better than this, despite its flaws.
I have a large quantity of e-mail and mailboxes. Email Filing Assistant indexes the email that I have and “learns” where I like to store different types of e-mail. Now I choose the mailbox and EFA moves the e-mail there saving me the time required to find the mailbox and drag the e-mail there myself. This application does exactly what is expected and does it well. The technical support is among the best I have encountered. I had a minor technical issue in the beginning as I was indexing (which ended up being a older, corrupt mailbox), but my questions were answered within hours (often minutes). Highly recommended.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Karsten Schulz
- 1.9 MB
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-22 Schulz Software
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.