The complete Encyclopaedia Britannica - the world’s most trusted reference source, enhanced for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch.
“Especially for students, or anyone who values what Britannica has to offer, I found the new Britannica iPad app to be a pleasing, easy way to navigate through a large body of knowledge.”
- Walt Mossberg, All Things Digital
*Search & Browse:
Over 80,000 articles – expertly written and thoroughly fact-checked – on everything from A-Rod to Zebras. Our contributors include over 100 Nobel Laureates plus subject gurus like Bill Clinton, Tony Hawk, and Desmond Tutu.
Photographs, diagrams, and charts help bring each topic to life.
*Test Your Knowledge with “Quizzes”:
Our app now features our popular quizzes testing your knowledge on pop-culture, literature, science, and more!
“LinkMap” lets you explore each article with a dynamic view of related topics.
“My Britannica” keeps track of your favorite articles and more.
Free to download. Over 65,000 articles are available for free and users can get access to 100% of the content in an ad-free experience for a $14.99 annual subscription.
- Length of subscription: 1 Year
- Price of subscription: $14.99
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
o Quizzes! Our app now features our popular quizzes testing your knowledge on pop-culture, literature, science, and more!
o Over 65,000 articles are available for free and users can get access to 100% of the content in an ad-free experience for a $14.99 annual subscription.
o iOS 9 compatibility
o Various usability updates
Ratings and Reviews
As others have pointed out, this could really use a bookmark, place holder feature. After leaving the app there’s no way to return to where you left off.
On the web/browser version in the help it talks about bookmarks but I’m unable to find that feature so decided to try the app but it’s the same - no way to mark progress.
A dictionary would also be nice. In a browser it’s not so bad as I have a Chrome dictionary installed but I still have to manually lookup a lot of words. The app could really use it.
Terrific content but frustrating to use.
It is really nice
I have used the encyclopedia Britannica books and before I read the books i used Wikipedia, until my teacher told me that Wikipedia can be edited by people and you don’t even need an account, so after that are used the complete set of Britannica that I bought the books from eBay there from 2004 and I did attempt to read all the books ALL 32 books and I use them for studying for school, but when I’m on the go I actually use this the encyclopedia Britannica app I really love it it’s actually better than Wikipedia, i would use it like Google but I won’t delete Google for this app but I give it a five star rating.
Needs Lots of Improvement
I'm upgrading by one star. New version doesn't crash, looks nicer. App still needs work (access to dictionary and other common reading app features). Getting better though.
Since this app is pathetic I'm downgrading it to one star, reason being is that since I started using it a lot it crashes on certain pages of some articles and also because it has seldom been updated.
Content is great and reasonable for fifteen bucks a year but the app is really bad - no access to the dictionary no book marks no customization. It looks alright and works well but is really lacking otherwise.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc
- 143.3 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Encyclopædia Britannica Content $1.99
- Encyclopædia Britannica Content $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.