Encyclopedia by Farlex gives you free, instant access to more than 330,000 articles, over 77,000 audio pronunciations, and 24,000 images, all from the most trusted sources, including McGraw-Hill, Harper-Collins, Columbia University Press, Cambridge University Press, and more—all in one app!
Whether you're a student, professional, or just curious about the world, this free encyclopedia app can help you find clear, in-depth articles on vast amount of topics right on your iPhone or iPad. Search multiple authoritative encyclopedias and specialty dictionaries for entries on:
Animals, plants, and the natural world
Biographies of prominent figures
+ much more…
* Search 330,000+ encyclopedia articles on any topic you can think of, all from top sources you won't find anywhere else.
* Learn by seeing: 24,000+ images, including vivid photos, diagrams, and illustrations.
* Save unlimited bookmarks to quickly access your favorite articles.
* Use native voice search to look up a word just by saying it. (With supported devices)
* See search suggestions as you type and always find what you're looking for.
* View your recent searches.
* Perform advanced searches, including "Starts with," "Ends with," "Contains," and "Wildcard."
* Adjust font size.
* Listen to 70,000+ audio pronunciations for both American and British speakers.
* Share your favorite articles via social networks, email, and text. (With supported devices)
User-friendly, comprehensive, and authoritative: Encyclopedia by Farlex is the perfect free app for students, professionals, and anyone curious about the world. This is NOT a preview or a trial version, and there is no "locked" content. Open the app on your iPhone or iPad and immediately access all content — no subscriptions required!
How do we do it?
TheFreeDictionary.com - Farlex apps have been downloaded tens of millions times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Our flagship app is The Free Dictionary (TFD), powered by TheFreeDictionary.com. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in the App Store.
* Fixed bugs, including crash issue when starting without Internet connection.
Ratings and Reviews
Good value and very handy
I am learning copyediting that sometimes need to fact-check what I read. This encyclopedia becomes handy even when my smartphone isn't connected to the Internet.
I looked for over a dozen terms (from the Straight of Gibraltar, to fait accompli) picked randomly from my Encyclopedia Brittanica (hard cover), and the results we're not encouraging... It returned a roughly the-way split; no results at all, correct results, and results from an Encyclopedia from the USSR, circa 1979.
Admittedly, some of the results differed little from a more current reference, but honestly.... 1979??? From the Union of Soviet Socialists Republic??? Not the source I'm looking to as trustworthy, and, with the march of technology and available tools, the accuracy will simply continue to wither.
If I'm looking for an up to date and accurate source for research, I'm sorry, but this isn't it.
Developer Response ,
Our Encyclopedia app includes multiple sources. The one you're referring to is provided for historical interest and is clearly labeled.
This app is very helpful, one of the most useful apps I have. I wanted to learn about the revolutionary war and that is exactly what I did thanks to this encyclopedia. Thank you so much! 😊
- Farlex, Inc.
- 91.6 MB
Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016 Farlex, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Ad-free upgrade $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.