Esion is a sound design and experimentation tool. You start by recording an audio sample into one of 3 tracks (e.g. by whistling into the mic). As soon as you're done recording, the audio starts looping.
Now, here's the fun part! Each track is run through its own effect chain which includes a pitch shifter, bit crusher, delay and reverb. Each effect has 2 parameters you can adjust by positioning circles on the XY pad. You can also bypass any effect.
Tired of your recording? No problem, simply record over it. The effect settings remain in tact when you record a new sample. This allows you to experiment with different textures and quickly turn your simple samples into polyrhythmic, organic, unrecognizable sonic textures. Cool right?
Unlike traditional loopers, Esion is not time-sync'd or rhythm-based (i.e. it's not your standard guitar looper pedal). Instead, Esion is free flowing and designed to be used to create ambient experimental sonic textures and complex evolving loops.
After spending some time tweaking your sound, you can double-tap anywhere on the XY pad to start recording your performance. All your recordings are saved as wav files which you can then export into your favourite DAW and or share with your friends.
••• FEATURES •••
• 3 independent tracks.
• Record audio loops with the mic.
• Reverse the loops in real-time.
• Mute/Disable/Clear loops on the fly.
• Flexible architecture. You can turn all effects and tracks on/off independently.
• Run each track through 4 effects: Bit Crusher/Sample-Rate reducer, Time/Pitch Stretcher, Reverb, Delay.
• Each effect has a dedicated XY-pad to control parameters independently for each track.
• XY-pad dedicated to changing pan and volume for each track separately.
• Global record feature allows you to record everything you hear. Recordings are stored as wav files which you can export/share.
• While recording you can tweak all the parameters to create complex performances.
• Universal app (iPhone/iPad)
••• PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING •••
• This is *not* a tempo-sync'd/rhythmic/beat looper. If you're looking for a traditional looper app for making beats, this is not that app.
• Audiobus/IAA/AUv3/Ableton Link are *not* supported, sorry! I designed this to be a standalone sound design tool. Think: "Voice Memo" for aliens.
• While the app is primarily designed to be used with the built-in mic, you should be able to connect other interfaces and hardware too. I've tested it with the Roland Go:Mixer Pro and it worked fine but I can't guarantee that it'll work with all other hardware interfaces (since I can't test them all).
If you want to see the app in action please watch my YouTube videos (http://onceuponasynth.tv).
If you do get the app, thank you so much! I hope you create beautiful and strange sounds with it.
Made with <3 in Canada.
Ratings and Reviews
Creative and fun
This app is really well designed and very intuitive. It’s fun to just mess with sounds and record anything good that comes out of it. In the first 10 minutes I already had two ideas recorded. I’m excited to continue using this!
Super fun and easy to use app. I turned my four year old loose on it and we have had a whole fun day of making crazy noises. Definitely going to plug this noise maker in after bedtime and do some recording with it.
Simplicity and immediacy
I really like Esion’s simplicity and immediacy. Despite the lack of AU3, AB or IAA, this is a very useful recorder for capturing organic and immediate rhythms and drones for use in other places.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.