The Original SP1200 Experience on your iPad
Create sampled beats the original 90's way using eSPi.
The SP-1200 was the primary tool of many legendary hip-hop beatmakers and house music producers in the 90's.
It is well known for its gritty sound and simple but effective workflow.
Now with eSPi you get to experience this machine right at your fingertips, on your iPad.
Import samples or record them yourself, chop them up, pitch them and sequence them within the app.
Features include multiple filters, effects, a compressor, and most importantly the best emulation of the gritty signature sound produced by the SP-1200 when pitching samples up & down.
eSPi is also available on Mac, Linux & PC.
*SP1200 & SP12 are registered trademarks or Rossum Electromusic LLC.
- Save/Load/Clear midi mapping now works properly
- Tap/Repeat button is now mappable to MIDI
- Compressor threshold fader was inverted when controlled by MIDI
- The VU meter is now working when sampling from an audio input
- Multi-level doesn't clash anymore when using two sounds from the same bank in multi-level mode
- Effects are now applied properly when loading a project with per-pad fx and/or compressor enabled
- Files are now saved with proper file extensions when saving on windows
- The app does not request microphone access when launching it anymore
- Pads with decay applied now report the correct volume in the mix screen
- Keyboard shortcuts are disabled when naming sounds/projects
- Pads are now renamed to "sample" after samping to them instead of retaining their previous name
- The faders now reach the full range in all menus when controlled by midi
- Live erase now works when controlled by midi
- You can now stop recording without stopping playback of the sequencer
- Tap/Repeat now works with multi-modes
- Further reduced Moog filter latency
- Various performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
There’s potential, but still a work in progress.
It’s a cool app, it emulates the legendary SP1200 workflow and sound pretty well. Get it if you really want that classic boom-bap sound from early 90s. Think Pete Rock, Large Professor, DJ Premier, etc. But be aware of it’s limitations. Like other comments have mention, it can be kind of buggy. For reference, I’m on an iPad Pro 10.5. There is a bit of latency with tapping on pads. Not a ton, but it’s noticeable. There’s also some sound dropping out when I try to play a pad over a sequenced loop. For example, I have a snare and hat looping and when I play a kick, the kick mutes my recorded snare and hat while I perform. On playback it sounds fine however. It makes sequencing a beat frustrating. It’s pretty bare-bone in terms of modern features. No Audiobus or AUv3 support. Also, make sure to save your project before closing the app as there is no auto-save option. Lastly, the workflow of an SP-1200 is kind of clunky. But that’s not the fault of the app developer. There are quick tips that help, but I found myself looking up how to use the app. Just mentioning this for new users who are used to modern iOS samplers like Koala or Samplr. I would wait to purchase this app until the developer updates some of software and audio issues. Or wait until the price drops. $14 is pretty steep when comparing it to Koala that is about $9 with all its upgrades.
Needs more development
Apps is cool but needs more support, when can we expect the iOS version to have support for audio input?
Truly an achievement and a labour of love. I have a real SP1200 and I'd prefer to use this. It's not perfect but real SPs fetch over 5k and are super limited. This can be the future of the SP with so much more potential when it is refined. There is a soul to that machine and the workflow that inspires a sound and an approach and this captures that. People who say it's no good simply do not understand. This is a real production tool.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Louis Teboul
- 34.4 MB
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Low Hiss Systems, Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.