The ESV Bible app was designed to be the most beautiful and intuitive Bible app available. The app includes free resources such as interactive reading plans, audio streaming, and free access to the ESV Global Study Bible.
• Read. Dig into the English Standard Version via an elegant interface designed specifically for mobile devices. Quick access to cross-references, split-screen reading, and an innovative reader’s mode make it easy to engage with God’s Word on a deeper level.
• Study. Read the ESV Global Study Bible alongside the biblical text for free. Subscribe to one of our paid plans at ESV.org to unlock additional study resources, like the ESV Study Bible, ESV Archaeology Study Bible, Preaching the Word commentary series, and more.
• Audio. Stream a free audio reading of any passage (internet connection required).
• Reading Plans. Choose from over 30 free interactive Bible reading plans and devotionals and track your progress.
• Search. Search the Bible by reference, keyword, or phrase with lightning speed.
• Write. Capture your ideas and reflections while listening to a sermon or during Bible study in personal notes attached to specific passages.
• Highlight. Highlight and bookmark favorite verses with just two taps.
• Sync. Sync your highlighted verses, personal notes, and favorites with ESV.org—giving you access to all of your content from any browser.
• Share. Share verses with friends and family via text message, email, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Addressed a number of related issues affecting iPhone 4S, 5, 5S, SE, and iPod Touch.
- Tapping on verse references was not navigating correctly. This affected verse references tapped from Search, Personal (Notes, Favorites, History, etc.), and Plans.
- Audio was not syncing correctly with the displayed Bible text, playing audio from passages previously viewed rather than the passage currently being viewed.
- Library content was not syncing correctly with the displayed Bible text, showing Notes and Resources from passages previously viewed rather than the passage currently being viewed.
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve given this app 4/5 stars ONLY because since they’ve recently updated it, for some reason now my search does not work.. I can type in the verse I want to read (ex: Luke 1:1) but when I click the verse, it just takes me right back to where I was before the search.. Almost as if clicking the newly searched verse is as though I’m clicking the “back” button.. very frustrating. I’m in a bible study with a group of guys I work with so it is very important to have that work properly. It is more convenient to use my youversion Holy Bible app to do my studies now and there is no comparison between the two apps.. ESV is much better for my use and needs.
This is my only complaint and the single reason for the 4 star rating.
I fear if I delete the app and download it again, all of my progress and work will be lost so I’ve not tried that yet. Thank you for the otherwise wonderful app! No other issues except the one listed above.
Developer Response ,
Sorry for the trouble. We sought to address these issues in the latest 3.4.9 update. Could you update to the latest version and let us know if that addressed your issues?
Great app but...
I love this app. I love that I can get my ESV Study Bible notes on it. I love that it has my ESV Gospel Transformation Bible notes in it as well. I love the aesthetic appeal...I just looks simple and classy. It would have 5 stars except that the reading plan section is a mess. It is fine if you only read what you are supposed to read that day. However if you read ahead it tends to forget my check marks. If you get behind it’s hard to know how much behind you are. And the audio reading feature is almost un-usable in the reading plan section as it messes everything up...boxes get checked off that shouldn’t be, it reads sections not in the plan, it crashes occasionally, etc.
I’m currently reading the ESV Study Bible plan and there is no way to tell what day I’m supposed to be on because each day’s reading shows only the current day’s date, not the day you should have read a particular set of passages.
Could you please give some attention to the reading plan section? It is such a big part of my day, and if it can’t stay on track I don’t know if I can continue to use this app. Also, I’m happy to financially support good apps so if there is a way we as your users can help you make this app better please let us know. Thank you for all your hard work so far!!!!
So glitchy again!
I use this app almost every day for my daily Bible reading, and noticed yesterday that it’s gotten so glitchy again. About once a year, the developers try to reinvent the wheel and then it’s this slow painful process of working through the bugs before it’s finally useable again. There has got to be a better way of testing updates before going live, right? In the last 24hrs, I’ve had the app close repeatedly for no reason, the screen freezes up every time I select a reading in the Read Through The Bible plan (to the point that I have to close the whole app and restart), when it does work I no longer can access the study notes during my daily reading (used to be able to swipe down to pull up tabs along the bottom to access the notes/resources, reading schedule, etc...), and the sheer number of reading plans has quadrupled...isn’t there some way to recategorize the plans into short reading plans, year long plans, something so that I’m not swiping multiple times just to find my plan? I’m sure you all will figure it out eventually, but could there be more careful testing of updates before they go live, since it seems like there are many people that use this app to do their bible study? It’s a great app...when it works.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for letting us know about this issue. Our developers have just become aware of the bug and are working on an update to address it. Please reach out to us at email@example.com if you have any questions regarding this.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.