The ESV Bible app was designed to be the most beautiful and intuitive Bible app available. The app includes free resources such as interactive reading plans, audio streaming, and free access to the full ESV Global Study Bible.
• Read. Dig into the English Standard Version via an elegant interface designed specifically for mobile devices. Quick access to cross-references, split-screen reading, and a distraction-free reader’s mode make it easy to engage with God’s Word on a deeper level.
• Free Reading Plans. Make Scripture reading a habit with 60+ Bible reading plans featuring content from well-known Bible teachers such as Jen Wilkin, Paul Tripp, Charles Spurgeon, Nancy Guthrie, Kevin DeYoung, Gloria Furman, and more. New reading plans are added every month.
• Study. Read the ESV Global Study Bible alongside the biblical text for free. Subscribe to one of our paid plans at ESV.org to unlock additional study resources, like the ESV Study Bible, ESV Archaeology Study Bible, Preaching the Word commentary series, and more.
• Audio. Stream a free audio reading of any passage (internet connection required).
• Search. Search the Bible by reference, keyword, or phrase with lightning speed.
• Write. Capture your ideas and reflections while listening to a sermon or during Bible study in personal notes attached to specific passages.
• Highlight. Highlight and bookmark favorite verses with just two taps.
• Sync. Sync your highlighted verses, personal notes, and bookmarks with ESV.org—giving you access to all of your personal content from any device.
• Share. Share verses with friends and family via text message, email, Facebook, and Twitter.
• Now includes 60+ free reading plans featuring content from well-known Bible teachers such as Jen Wilkin, Paul Tripp, Charles Spurgeon, Nancy Guthrie, Kevin DeYoung, Gloria Furman, and more
• Library resources now organized in categories (Study Bibles, Commentaries & Sermons, Devotionals, and Other)
• Theme options (White, Sepia, and Black) now mirror the web version
• Improved and refined the design and animations across the app, especially on iPad
• Improved text readability across the app, especially on iPad
• Fixed several bugs affecting navigation from links within library content
• Fixed a bug where notes and answers to questions in Knowing the Bible were not able to be saved
• Fixed a bug causing certain readings to be missing from several reading plans
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Love this app!
So far, I’m loving this app and specifically all the tools that come with the subscription. I’m doing a study on Daniel, and truly enjoying it. One issue I’ve come across, however, is in the Knowing the Bible 12 week study guide for Daniel, there is a Q&A section which gives you space to write your thoughts and responses. I LOVE this, however an error message pops up when trying to save my responses. Also, I’m not sure if you can edit a response once saved, but that would be important as well. Also, is there an ability to somehow do this study with a friend and share each other’s responses? Just a thought.
Separately, the navigation of the app isn’t entirely intuitive however there is A LOT of content to navigate through, so understand it can be tricky to design. With that said after spending some time with the main ESV app, and navigating between the study Bible, Knowing the Bible Daniel study, and other content, I’ve developed more familiarity and it actually works quite well and makes sense. So thankful for this app, and the work you all are doing.
Great app but...
I love this app. I love that I can get my ESV Study Bible notes on it. I love that it has my ESV Gospel Transformation Bible notes in it as well. I love the aesthetic appeal...I just looks simple and classy. It would have 5 stars except that the reading plan section is a mess. It is fine if you only read what you are supposed to read that day. However if you read ahead it tends to forget my check marks. If you get behind it’s hard to know how much behind you are. And the audio reading feature is almost un-usable in the reading plan section as it messes everything up...boxes get checked off that shouldn’t be, it reads sections not in the plan, it crashes occasionally, etc.
I’m currently reading the ESV Study Bible plan and there is no way to tell what day I’m supposed to be on because each day’s reading shows only the current day’s date, not the day you should have read a particular set of passages.
Could you please give some attention to the reading plan section? It is such a big part of my day, and if it can’t stay on track I don’t know if I can continue to use this app. Also, I’m happy to financially support good apps so if there is a way we as your users can help you make this app better please let us know. Thank you for all your hard work so far!!!!
I’ve given this app 4/5 stars ONLY because since they’ve recently updated it, for some reason now my search does not work.. I can type in the verse I want to read (ex: Luke 1:1) but when I click the verse, it just takes me right back to where I was before the search.. Almost as if clicking the newly searched verse is as though I’m clicking the “back” button.. very frustrating. I’m in a bible study with a group of guys I work with so it is very important to have that work properly. It is more convenient to use my youversion Holy Bible app to do my studies now and there is no comparison between the two apps.. ESV is much better for my use and needs.
This is my only complaint and the single reason for the 4 star rating.
I fear if I delete the app and download it again, all of my progress and work will be lost so I’ve not tried that yet. Thank you for the otherwise wonderful app! No other issues except the one listed above.
Developer Response ,
Sorry for the trouble. We sought to address these issues in the latest 3.4.9 update. Could you update to the latest version and let us know if that addressed your issues?
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.