The official, complete Etymonline app with useful features to help you understand the origins of words as well as improve your vocabulary.
* The text of the word entries is entirely from etymonline.com, the Internet's top choice for quick, reliable, comprehensive yet comprehensible English word origins
* Instantaneous search with spelling suggestions works fast on your iOS devices
* Browser-like definition content navigation with cross-reference features
* Works offline; no Internet connection is required to use it
* It's a Universal app, works on your iPad and iPad mini, as well as iPhone and iPod touch
* Related Words: Now you can easily access words that share the same origin/root. For example, you can check out all the words with root –logy, such as agriology, anthropology, biology, cardiology, choreology, Christology, chronology, cosmology, etc.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Sub fees way too high but I still love it
I’ve loved and used the website for years and was super excited to see you made an app for it!
I fired it up, looked something up, and saw the app looks really nice and works great, nice job.
I saw the bottom banner ad and the option to remove, so I went to immediately pay to remove them as I really would like to support Doug & crew, but then I saw there was only subscriptions available and then the price... $5/month or $18/year?
I’d happily send over $10 as a one time fee for an ad free app but I’m not going to pay those huge subscription fees.
Therefore instead of getting 5 or 10 or $20 from me you’re getting $0. That makes me feel bad and gives you no money.
Please consider making an ad free paid version of the app.
5 stars regardless because the content and work behind it more than deserves it.
Can’t live without it
A thousand thanks to Doug for creating this site, doing all the research and providing it free —I happily support your work through donations and Patreon. Your work may have started as a hobby but it’s become a necessity in classrooms and in homes across the world. My students and I are grateful many times a day when we wonder about a relationship words may have and can instantly begin our quest with reliable information through Etymonline.
My favorite dictionary
I’ve used Etymology Online for several months, and just now got the app. I love this. I use it as my standard dictionary, and find it works much better than normal dictionaries for most words I want to look up. I look up lots of words.
- Chongwei Liu
- 75.7 MB
Requires iOS 11.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Douglas Harper and Chongwei Liu
- In-App Purchases
- Etymonline Premium 12 Months $17.99
- Etymonline Premium 6 Months $13.99
- Etymonline Premium 1 Month $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.