Tired of launching the macOS Calculator app and stepping through menu paths just for doing a simple currency conversion? Missing cryptocurrencies in Spotlight's currency conversion feature? Annoyed by the limited curreny selection of both of these system features? Here's the solution:
"Exchange Rates" is a small currency calculator residing in the macOS status bar and/or in your notification center – always available and always up to date. Nothing more, nothing less.
Everything can be done using keyboard shortcuts, so you can easily convert an amount between two currencies without interrupting your current workflow by using the mouse or even launching another window-based application. It also provides two system services to make currency conversions even more convenient.
All exchange rates are being updated continuously in the background, so you don't have to do anything about it. In addition, the fixed exchange rates of all euro predecessor currencies are available, such as the Austrian Shilling or German Mark. And just in case you would like to know what your paper currency is worth in sound money: Exchange Rates also offers four precious metals for conversions - each in grams and troy ounces.
Exchange Rates can also notify you automatically with a notification when a predefined threshold of a currency pair is de- or exceeded. This feature is available for all supported currencies (including various cryptocurrencies) and the 4 precious metals (either in grams or troy ounces).
The most important features at a glance:
• All important world currencies
• All euro-predecessor currencies
• Precious metals (gold, silver, platinum, palladium)
• Various cryptocurrencies with builtin support for Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, Monero and Ripple
• Several different exchanges for each cryptocurrency
• Allows you to add other, missing cryptocurrencies as well as custom feed definitions for price feeds from other exchanges (JSON via http or https)
• Two today widgets for your notifiction center: a currency calculator and a collection of your favorite exchange rates
• Exchange rate notifications
And there is even more:
• everything can be done using keyboard shortcuts to avoid interrupting your workflow.
• official LBMA fixing prices for gold and silver loaded via quandl.com (this requires a freely available Quandl API key)
• precious metals can be shown either in grams or troy ounces
• two system services (convert to local currency or to all currencies in your favorite exchange rates)
• a command line interface for currency conversions
• data minimization: no unnecessary data collection (e.g. user tracking)
• uses encrypted https connections for all built-in data sources
• the today widgets keep their content up-to-date by themselves and can be used regardless of whether the main app is running or not. The main app is only required to change their configuration and manage your favorite exchange rates
Please note: Exchange Rates is a research tool, it cannot trade foreign exchanges on your behalf. It is however a fantastic tool to keep an eye on the market, so all exchange rates and precious metal prices are provided for informational purposes only, and do not constitute financial advice of any kind
More informations as well as a complete version history can be found on the product website.
If you should find a bug in this app, please contact me via the contact form on the product website so I can fix it as soon as possible. Thank you!
A free tryout version is available on the product website as well.
• fixes another possible crash on OS X version 10.11 (El Capitan), sorry about that
• a few minor localization fixes
New in Version 3.0:
• Exchange Rates now finally allows you to add any missing cryptocurrency, which then will make use of the already existing possibility to add new cryptocurrency exchanges
• the menu bar panel has been rewritten fom scratch and opens much faster, especially when using a large number of favorites
• favorites now always consist of two currencies of your choice. Hence the old list types aren't necessary any more and have been removed.
• there are now two separate and completely rewritten today widgets: a currency calculator and a collection of your favorite exchange rates
• contains various bugfixes for macOS version 10.15
• a myriad of other bugfixes and small improvements
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.