Exif Editor is an application that allows you to edit metadata in directly your photos.
The tool is useful when you don't want to expose camera to your customers. When your RAW processor doesn't open your file because it doesn't recognise valid camera/lens combination.
In some applications, it's needed to reload metadata as they are heavily cached, for example Adobe Bridge, Lightroom or Aperture.
• Adobe Lightroom - select image, right click and in the popup menu select Metadata->Read Metadata from Files
Exif Editor now support for the following file formats
• Canon CR2
• Nikon NEF
• Olympus ORF
• Adobe DNG
• Leaf MOS
• Fuji RAF
• Panasonic RW2
• Pentax PEF
• Phase One IIQ
• SONY ARW
The following tags are supported.
• EXIF: Artist, Image Description, Copyright, Software, User Comment, Make, Model, Owner Name, Date/Time Original, Create Date, Modify Date, ISO, F Number, Aperture, Shutter Speed, Focal Length, Focal Length In 35mm Format, Exposure Compensation, Flash, Orientation, Color Space, Components Configuration, Exposure Mode, Exposure Program, Exposure Time, Metering Mode, Scene Capture Type, White Balance, Saturation, Sensing Method, Sharpness, Subject Distance Range, Lens Make (by exif standard, not by some makers standards), Lens (by exif standard, not by some makers standards), Lens Model (by exif standard, not by some makers standards), Canon specific Lens Type, Pentax specific Lens Type, Leica specific Lens Type, SONY specific Lens Type, XResolution, YResolution, ResolutionUnit
• GPS: Latitude, LatitudeRef, Longitude, LongitudeRef, Altitude, AltitudeRef, Img Direction, Img Direction Ref, DateStamp
• Canon Maker Note: Owner Name, Canon Model ID
• FUJI Maker Note: Film Mode, Dynamic Range Setting, White Balance, Shadow Tone, Highlight Tone
• Sigma RAW Maker Note: ISO
• IPTC: Author By-line, By-lineTitle, Copyright Notice, Contact, Headline, Caption-Abstract, Writer-Editor, Object Name, Category, Supplemental Categories, Date Created, Keywords, Sub-location, City, Province-State, Country-Primary Location Name, Country-Primary Location Code, Original Transmission Reference, SpecialInstructions, Credit, Source
• XMP: Serial number, Lens, Keywords, Create Date, Modify Date, Latitude, Latitude Ref, Longitude Ref, Longitude, Photoshop Date Created, Focal Length
• XMP Panorama: Use Panorama Viewer, Stitching Software, Projection Type Pose Heading Degrees, Full Pano Width Pixels, Full Pano Height Pixels, Projection Type, Cropped Area Left Pixels, Cropped Area Top Pixels, Cropped Area Image Width Pixels, Cropped Area Image Height Pixels, Source Photos Count
If you have any problem or question, please, don't hesitate to contact me via support form on the Exif Editor website.
• fixes a problem with saving on network drive
Ratings and Reviews
Works well for basic metadata editing
I made a mistake setting the date on my new camera and needed a tool to change the date. It was late at night and I didn't fancy starting down the path of using exiftool.
After searching I found the author's website and then downloaded the app from the App Store. It was possible to set an offset of one day, but this option took a little effort to find because initially I was setting the absolute date. After getting my dates correct, this tool processed my files quickly.
It was able to detect the Fuji RAW format used and output a friendly warning that it hadn't been tested. I appreciate this since many tools will happily process files without warning. I double-checked some files after they were imported to Lightroom and all was good.
I'm going to try some other metadata modifications, but I don't think I'll use this tool regularly. I'll still keep it around for times when I do something stupid. Every serious photographer who isn't ready to embrace the exiftool command line utility should get a copy.
Works, but no support
When it works, it works great. Especially when you want to change (or add) something like GPS data. Or, in my case, when you want to add keywords that are permanent, instead of using Lightroom, where if you lose your catalog, you lose your keywords.
My only quibble…when it doesn’t work… don’t expect ANY support. Tried to get an answer to a simple question and never got so much as a confirmation email that he received my support request. Not. A. Single. Word. For the price, support should be there. But it’s not. I see a couple review that say support was great. Maybe it was in 2013. In 2017… notsomuch.
Not worth $11
Doesnt work. Trying to add GPS data to numerous photos. First, the “wrong format” error message just pops up when I cut and paste a coordinate in there, and then won’t leave the screen after I have fixed the format. So I have to move the app so that the pop up is not blocking the working screen. Then for every cut and paste, I get the same non-disapperaring pop up. Then when the data is finally in the blank, and I hit “process” it just goes AWOL. It doesnt crash, but nor does it appear to be doing anythng at all. The screen goes grey and then it just sits there until after 15 minutes I get impatient and force quit the app.
So then I try to change the lens malke and model on 1 photo. It throws another error telling me that it can’t store the photo…In the same folder where it already resides.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.