Do you ever explain “computer stuff” to other people? Instead of writing long winded emails filled with screenshots, or spending time on the phone, use the Explainer app.
With the app you can capture multiple snapshots into a single image.
Explainer app is for those times when a single screenshot is not enough, but a screen recording too much of a hassle.
HOW IT WORKS:
1. Capture up to eight pictures of your screen
2. Arrange them into a sequence of steps
3. Add instructions if needed
4. Share via email, Facebook, etc., or save as image file
USE THIS APP WHEN:
- You have to explain a sequence of steps
DO NOT USE THIS APP WHEN:
- A single screenshot is good enough
- Things are too complex to express in 4 to 8 steps (consider a screen recording app)
Lots of new features:
- The sidebar: giving you detailed control of all design aspects
- You can now change the font, font size, text- and background colors
- Full undo/redo support
- Export as PDF
- Define your own screenshot keyboard shortcut
- Better support for multiple monitors
There is now also an In-App purchase for those of you who would like to save your screenshots to make changes later on. If you like the app and you would like to support its future development, take a look at what else you get with the purchase.
Ratings and Reviews
Simple, straight-forward, super
I have an illness. I collect screenshot apps. This one helps me do something the others don’t.
I had version one of this app a couple years ago and saw yesterday that version two was available. I whipped out a quick series of steps to illustrate a process and immediately purchased the in-app upgrade because the app is so easy to use and I love supporting developers that provide awesome products.
No annotations, but hopefully those will show up in an update/upgrade.
Handy little tool
I'm a big fan of apps that do "one thing well," and Explainer does just that. Some people might dwell on the simplicity and perceived limitations of the app, but I actually enjoy the constraints as it forces me to think harder about what I'm trying to convey. The result is almost always better than a 400 word document with a handful of screenshots.
Great idea, not quite there yet
I love the idea behind this app. But I see a few problems with it…
• Let’s start with the obvious: if you upgrade to Pro, you’re still limited to 8 steps… seriously?
• You can’t change the default aspect of each step (very problematic when you want to show, say an iPhone screenshot)
• Output is really poor quality regardless of the quality of your content
• You can’t simply reorganize steps by dragging them around
• There’s only ONE layout available
Given all these and the fact that it was last updated in 2014, I don’t see a future for this app.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.