Embark on the adventure of a lifetime with FarOut, the most reliable navigational guide app for long-distance exploration. With over 200 hiking, biking, whitewater rafting and paddling navigational guides around the world, FarOut has everything you need to blaze your owns trail.
Whether you're scaling the highest peaks or exploring the wildest rivers, FarOut provides you with trusted, official trail data even when you're offline, so you can explore with confidence. And with our Check-in feature, you can keep your loved ones in the loop by letting them know exactly where you are and that you're safe.
Subscribe to FarOut Unlimited and get access to all of our navigational guides, which covers over 50,000 miles. Our monthly, annual, and 6-month Season Pass plans give you the ultimate flexibility to explore the world on your terms. Or if you prefer to own a single guide forever, you can make a lifetime purchase. With FarOut, the choice is yours.
Join the hundreds of thousands of adventure enthusiasts who have already experienced the benefits of FarOut. Whether you're hiking, biking, whitewater rafting or paddling your way around the world, FarOut is your ultimate guide to unforgettable experiences. Download FarOut today and start your next adventure!
1. Extensive coverage: FarOut includes guides in popular long-distance hiking, biking, rafting, and paddling routes worldwide, including the United States, Australia, Canada, the UK, Europe, New Zealand, the Middle East, South America, and Central America.
2. Trusted, official trail data: FarOut partners with dozens of trail organizations, book authors, and publishers to provide official, up-to-date trail data that you can rely on.
3. Check-in feature: FarOut's Check-in feature allows you to let your friends and family know exactly where you are, providing peace of mind for both you and your loved ones.
4. Comprehensive waypoint information: FarOut provides everything you need to know on the ground, such as junctions, water sources, road crossings, portages, launch sites, trailheads, town guides, and much more.
5. Flexible purchasing options: You can subscribe to FarOut Unlimited and get access to all navigational guides, or you can purchase a single guide as a lifetime purchase. The choice is yours.
12.3.3: Introducing a new app feature called Field Reporting! Now you can suggest new waypoints to be added to the app or report conditions in the field by creating a custom waypoint, report any errors you notice on waypoints or comments, and flag inappropriate comments, etc. Try it out!
- Improvements to Elevation Profile
- Fixed display issues with Elevation Profile
- Fixed waypoints displaying incorrectly on Elevation Profile
- Custom routes now show up for all guides in profile view
- Fixes for data syncing and file manager
- Fixed a crash caused by quickly downloading multiple guides
- Fixes for bugs when switching between guide view types
- Certain Area Infos now display correctly
Ratings and Reviews
World Class Hiking App!
FarOut long trail hiking products are the very best for novice and experienced backpackers alike. They are simple, reliable detailed maps with everything a backpacker needs for a successful hike. The maps are routinely updated to ensure accuracy and saved me a couple times when I wondered off trail on the PCT while not paying enough attention. The embedded trail alerts and user generated reports on water sources and camping are invaluable. I have hiked many times with and without FarOut map products on various trails. If they are available for your hike, pay the very reasonable price and don’t set out without FarOut in hand. One more thing, their tech support is second to none. I needed to have my account reset and several of my previously purchased hiking products reloaded to my account and tech support (Kevin) got right on it and gave me the personalized attention that companies rarely provide in the post Covid world. I was up and running again in no time. These guys are the best! Thanks FarOut.
What a difference this app makes on a thru hike! Although it does take away a bit of the spontaneous adventure out of a hike, it’s more than necessary for the modern interpretation of a thru hike. Being able to plan out your day with accurate up to date information makes it possible to push all the way until dark and not worry about water or a flat spot to camp. The aspect of a community is also great with the ability to easily add your own input and look back on what previous generations of hikers had to say. You’ll see some sweet hidden gems along the trail because of this!
I love the concept for the big trails, and I won’t ever attempt a thru hike without something like it. However, I give 4 stars because there is still a lot of room for improvement. Even in the couple years I’ve had the app they’ve made some good changes, but it still feels a bit awkward navigating through the app on occasion and some features feel a bit lazy. I’m sure as more and more folks start to flood the trails who are used to the constant influence of technology the app will feel pressure to change.
Overall it serves the purpose great, and the GPS feature could literally be a life saver. Just don’t get too caught up in the constant updates on mileage.
Anything I can do to get this app a 5-star review is worth my time. Everything from the ground up, from the original idea to how well it works on trail is life-changing on the trail and even in the planning stages. I come from 25 years of thru-hiking experience. My hiking days began with National Geographic articles, carrying guide books on trail, and then Halfmile’s maps were a constant companion on the PCT, until the Colorado Trail in 2015. That was my first Guthook experience and it was incredible. In an instant, I was able to see exactly where I was on trail, where the water was or wasn’t, and even the best places in towns in more or less real time. I like the social aspect somewhat, more for the information I really need. I hope Atlas expands to include more trails- while realizing that lesser known trails are less traveled and the return on investment might not be warranted. But there’s a space on my phone for a Guthook on a thru-hike no matter how how short or long, a thru is a thru- my money and yours is well spent within this app.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Atlas Guides DE, Inc.
- 182.8 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2023 Atlas Guides, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Appalachian Trail $74.99
- AT Section 1: GA/NC $9.99
- Pacific Crest Trail by Guthook $39.99
- Colorado Trail Hiker $24.99
- Arizona Trail $17.99
- John Muir Trail by Guthook $24.99
- AT Section 2: NC & TN $9.99
- AT Section 4: Northern VA $9.99
- AT Section 5: PA & MD $9.99
- AT Section 3: Southern Virginia $9.99