Every year, thousands of children go missing. The FBI’s Child ID App can help.
This free app provides a convenient place to electronically store photos and vital information about your children so that it’s all at hand if you need it. You can show the pictures and provide physical identifiers like height and weight to security or police officers on the spot. Using a special tab on the app, you can also quickly and easily e-mail the information to authorities with just a few clicks.
The app includes tips on keeping children safe, as well as specific guidance on what to do in the first 48 crucial hours after a child goes missing. Links to additional resources for families and victims are also provided.
Please be assured that no information on your child will be collected or stored by the FBI unless you provide it during an emergency.
Warning: If you downloaded an earlier version of the FBI Child ID app (all versions released prior to 2015), any photos and/or information you previously entered will be lost when installing this update.
Child ID Highlights:
- Include a default e-mail address for your local police department.
- Auto-populate addresses and phone numbers across profiles.
- Add photos for identifying characteristics (birthmarks, scars, etc.).
- Set and send your phone’s location as your child’s last known location.
- iPhone/iPad/iPod compatible
Organize Your Child’s Information
- Create as many child profiles as you need.
- Use your phone camera and photo library to take and upload photos of each child.
- Add and update key identifying information.
Know What To Do
- Get safety tips on keeping your child out of harm’s way.
- Learn what to do in first few critical hours after a child goes missing.
- Visit additional links with resources for families and victims.
Get Information to Authorities in an Emergency
- Quickly call 911 or the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.
- E-mail your child’s pictures and information to authorities.
- Show identifying information to security or law enforcement officers on the spot.
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Good idea, poorly executed
A great idea, but it’s poorly designed and executed. All the data apparently gets wiped out whenever there’s an update to the app or to iOS. What good is that?! I just tried to check the data on my three granddaughters and every bit of it’s GONE!
When I tried to put in a support complaint about this, I found that there is no support.
There’s no support in the app or through the App Store. When I clicked on the one Support link I found, all I got was a news article about how wonderful this app is. It isn’t.
All in all, a really half-assed job of designing, maintaining, and supporting this app by the FBI.
Sharing between devices
Good I dear but somethings missing. I put the information on my iPhone and it does not share the information with my iPad. This means you have to add everything including photographs on each of the devices.
A voiceprint would be a nice addition.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- 9.6 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Federal Bureau of Investigation
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.