What does it do?
The FCC Speed Test app accurately measures your mobile broadband performance and displays an in-depth view of its factors (e.g. download and upload speed, latency, jitter and packet loss).
Why download it?
Learn about your mobile broadband performance in one click. Track it over time.
What about privacy?
No personally-identifiable information is collected whatsoever. Testing is totally anonymous.
Still curious? Read below for more detail.
Mobile broadband has become part of our everyday infrastructure. We hope the app helps provide greater clarity about your mobile broadband performance.
Once installed, you can test your mobile broadband performance at the touch of a button. Aggregated, anonymous data will also help us build a map of mobile broadband performance across the country.
Privacy is paramount. The FCC has taken significant measures to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of volunteers for this program. Using privacy measures developed and reviewed by a diverse team of privacy experts, any data that could potentially identify specific smartphones is analyzed and processed to ensure privacy protection.
How does this help you?
• Run manual tests on Download Speed, Upload Speed, Latency, Jitter and Packet Loss. (Make sure to disable Wi-Fi before testing cellular broadband speeds.)
• Additional passive metrics collected such as Carrier, Country Code and GPS location.
• Access real-time performance data on your device.
• Historical results available at the touch of a screen.
• Be a volunteer! You can help the FCC’s Measuring Broadband America program in developing the first open and transparent information on mobile broadband performance in the United States.
• By default, there is a 100 MB limit per month but this can be changed according to your preference--always consider your broadband usage carefully on limited data allowance plans.
• The app is ad-free.
This version provides up-to-date test methodologies and improvements to the user interface, including recording network test failures, improved performance on iOS 11 and iOS 12, and the ability to view historical results.
Ratings and Reviews
Seems to be the most realistic
As with any speed test they can be rigged but why would the fcc do it? I run a network shop and it seems to have the most explainable results.
One thing fcc if your listening. Please flip the month and day in the charts. They are backwards.
If you can judge a book by its cover...
Then this APPEARS to be the best speed test app. Due to the nature of it being an iOS app, I understand we're not gonna get to see a lot under the hood to begin with. While the results and tests SEEM the most realistic and genuine in their reporting, I don't know how any of us could know if it's truly legit.
I like this speed test cause it gives you the average of the test results. I really don't care that I got a burst speed of up to such and such for a fraction of a second like the other tests do if it's not going to be representative of actual data usage.
- Samknows Limited
- 34.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 SamKnows
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.