The FEMA App is the best option to receive emergency alerts and information so that you and your loved ones know what to do before, during and after disasters. This simple and easy-to-use app provides safety notifications, emergency preparedness tips, and disaster resources.
- Receive real-time and reliable alerts about disasters, severe weather, and other emergencies for the places that matter to you
- Safety and preparedness information available in English and Spanish
- Locate open emergency shelters in your area
- Know what to do before, during, and after disasters, including wildfires, hurricanes, searthquakes, tornadoes, volcanoes, and more
- Share real-time alerts with loved ones via text, email, and social media
- Find Disaster Recovery Centers nearby where you can talk to a FEMA representative in person
- “Know Your Risk” feature allows users to learn about hazards in their state
- Improvements for voiceover compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
Wakes us in the middle of the night with minor alerts
So the freeze warning was extended, or maybe some other fairly normal weather event gets reported, and the weather alert notification dings and wakes us at all times of the night. I like to keep the sound on for notification in case there is some real extreme weather developing, but I really don’t care to be advised that a freeze advisory has been extended at 2:15 am.
I should be allowed to define what types of weather I consider critical or minor, and the notification with sound should only be used for what I define as critical events. A farmer may have different needs than a taxi driver or a builder or a writer of suspense novels, just to name a few.
95% of all the alerts are for things I either know about (I looked at the forecast, I can hear the thunder or the heavy rain, etc), or have a reasonable expectation will not affect me much (flash flooding typically doesn’t affect the places I go, beyond the fact that visibly heavy rain creates conditions for hydroplaning).
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. Our development team is currently working on new features that will allow users to customize the alerts they receive for each location they enter. We value your input and will continue to use it to inform the design and development of the FEMA App.
The information is there, so that’s good, but generally the App is a little clumsy and doesn’t have the most intuitive UI.
A couple of things I’d like to see the developer address please:
1. Notifications: if my App has a red number “badge” meaning there’s a (quantity of) new notification(s) in the app, this should be intuitive to find, and reflect the number.
My expectation: red badge “2” = open app and see 2 new alerts.
If an alert has expired and is no longer there, it shouldn’t be in the badge alert count. Thank you.
2. Request: it would be really useful to have a “share” button on the alerts. E.g. We run a small family rural Ag business and I try to share occasional frost Alerts with our customers (like a sudden frost after a warm spell or first frost of the season). “Share” would be great.
I especially want to always share “do not burn” alerts on business Facebook page. Currently I take a screen shot, but the alert is usually longer than one screenshot.
Thank you for reading and I hope these changes are possible.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you would like to share the alerts with your customers. We have plans to add a "share" function this year. We value your input and are committed to improving our app based on user feedback.
Notifications stopped working
Hello developers - I am a meteorologist and had been recommending this app to all of my friends for robust and reliable weather alerting. Everything about it was great. Within the last couple of months, I stopped getting alerts. I asked around, and several friends are having the same issue. We are all on various newer iPhones. I tried turning notifications on and off, alerts worked once, then quit again. I tried deleting and resetting my location, got one set of alerts, and it quit again. The alerts are there if I open the app, but no notifications are received. I am now deleting and reinstalling the app, to see if that helps, but I’m nervous about having recommended this to so many people.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. We will be releasing an update to the FEMA App (version 2.10.4) in the next week or so. This updated version should address the issue you are experiencing about not receiving notifications. We apologize for the inconvenience. We rely on feedback from users like you to inform future development.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- 14 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016 Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.