Ferrite is the award-winning app you need for creating podcasts, radio journalism, or other professional voice production work — lectures, speeches, voiceovers and more.
It combines the ease-of-use of a “voice memo” audio recorder, with a versatile multi-track editing studio. Powerful tools like effects and automation are available when you need them. With its time-saving features and a UI designed to get out of your way, people around the world are switching to Ferrite.
— Streamlined Recording —
Open Ferrite and with just one tap you’re recording. No fuss, and it won't break a sweat even with hours-long sessions. Just make sure your device has enough free space!
Recording an interview and you want to highlight a few quotes? Have to take out some inappropriate language? Or just fluffed a sentence and need to fix it? Bookmark moments during your recording and they’ll be flagged up during edits, so you can jump right to them.
Monitor levels with live recording meters, or listen through headphones. Tag your audio to find it quickly later. And of course you can import audio from your Music Library, iCloud, and other services such as Dropbox.
Please note: the free version has limited duration for recording & editing projects. Upgrade to Pro and you can edit projects up to 24 hours long!
— Editing is a Snip —
Ferrite features full multi-track editing, from quick cuts, to producing a complete podcast or broadcast package. Zoom out to see hours at a glance, or zoom in all the way down to individual samples.
Take a single clip, or a bunch, and arrange them in an editing project: move, crop, slice, fade in and out, or crossfade between clips just by overlapping them. You have full control over each track’s volume and panning, and can Mute or Solo as needed.
And best of all, you needn’t fear trying out changes: Ferrite has great Undo/Redo — even if you quit the app and come back a month later, you can still undo all the way back to the moment you created your project!
— Advanced Features —
Need more? Ferrite also includes:
• Automatic ducking: set tracks to “duck under” others (e.g. ducking music behind voiceovers).
• Strip Silence: Carves away all the silent sections from a recording, making it easy to edit the remaining audio.
• (iPad only) Split View and Slide Over support: Use Ferrite side-by-side with other apps. Recording a narration? Open another app with your script and place Ferrite down the side of the screen. Or open the User Guide in Safari on one side while you learn Ferrite on the other.
With a single In-App Purchase, you can unlock many additional tools, including:
• Record up to 8 channels at once (with iOS 13 and compatible audio interface)
• Prepare your audio for production with Noise Reduction and Auto Levelling.
• Add professional effects to your tracks such as EQ, Noise Gate and Dynamic Range Compression, for projects that sound clean and engaging.
• Automate volume, panning and effects settings so they vary over time, both on individual tracks and the final mix.
• Tighten Audio can automatically take out awkward pauses and gaps.
• Producing a podcast or series? Create a template to get each new episode off to a flying start.
• Found the perfect settings for an effect or tool? Save them as a Preset for re-use in other projects.
• Audio Unit Extensions: if you have other apps installed that provide effects as Audio Unit Extensions, they’ll show up in Ferrite, where you can add them to tracks or projects.
Note: Split View and Slide Over require a recent iPad. Please see our support pages for more details on compatibility. Maximum number of tracks available depends on the speed of your device.
• Various performance, user-experience, accessibility and reliability improvements
Note: Ferrite 2.4 continues to work with iOS 12.4, but new features require iOS 13/iPad OS 13 or later.
New for Ferrite 2 Pro users on iOS 13/iPad OS 13:
• Record up to 8 channels at once (with compatible audio interface)
• Switch off channels to omit them from recordings
• Auto-detect in-use channels
• Adjust headphones stereo spread when monitoring recordings
• Compact Mode recording panel (on iPad)
New for all users on iOS 13:
• Updated design for recording panel
New and improved for all users:
• Various performance, user-experience, accessibility and reliability improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best audio editing app I've seen in a while.
This is the best audio editing app I have found out there on the App Store. It is also one of the very few audio editing apps that work with voiceover. What I think would be cool though, is that when you are recording a new track, you can listen to your audio from another project. This way, I could have background music going, and when I can hear that his song is about to end, I could finish up what I am saying and finish the recording at the appropriate time, rather than the Recorder track being too short or too long. I also like how you can just the time more precisely and zoom in and out, I was able to make music loops from songs that I created with my windows PC
I was really enjoying using the pro version of this app until I discovered there is no way to export edited files in anything other than 16 bits. The internal format is 32 bit but there is no way to access it. Had I known this, I would never had purchased it. I can no longer use all of its great features knowing I cannot export my work in a professional audio format. This is unacceptable. Despite all its great editing features, Ferrite is simply not a professional editing app. Please add 32 or 24 bit export of edited files in a future update.
Reply: I edit audio (all kinds) professionally and I thought I had found the perfect audio companion to my iPad Pro. I would like to be able to edit in Ferrite and master the finished edited project in my mastering suite, but your refusal to implement high quality export of edited audio makes that impossible. I also find it preposterous that you would not implement a function that would, in effect, make your product perfect. It is so close. Why not go that extra little bit and make the internal format of edited audio exportable? Your refusal to do so is truly baffling.
Developer Response ,
Hello! If you have 24- or 32-bit audio stored in Ferrite, you can export it using the "Original File" option, which will export it in its original 24-/32-bit format. Those higher bit depths can be important during editing, because they can provide "room" to do certain kinds of editing without loss of quality — that's why Ferrite does support 24- and 32-bit source audio, and uses 32-bits for its audio engine, to maintain the highest quality during editing. But when you export a finished podcast, radio programme, audiobook, lecture etc, it's output as a 16-bit file, which is the industry standard for those types of production. You mentioned you're wanting to use Ferrite for music editing? If folks find it useful for that, that's great, but it's not what the app's designed for — as it says above, Ferrite is designed for podcasting, radio journalism and other spoken-word audio. It sounds like your needs would be better met by one of the many excellent music-focused editing apps that can be found in the App Store. All the best with your music production!
Astonishingly good podcast editor
There are so many aspects of my podcast editing workflow (usually done in Logic Pro X) that I thought would never be able to be done on an iOS device. This app has it all. I can easily strip silence, it has a quick triple tap for select all following, it can ripple delete and insert, it can add chapters... The list goes on and on. In some ways I prefer it to Logic since I can relax on the couch with a nice pair of Bluetooth headphones instead of sitting at my desk. Getting audio onto the iPad is obviously a little trickier than it is with a computer (I load everything onto iCloud Drive, then import to Ferrite, which takes several minutes even for short episodes) but once it’s in Ferrite editing becomes pretty effortless.
- Wooji Juice Ltd
- 20.3 MB
Requires iOS 12.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2019 Wooji Juice
- In-App Purchases
- Ferrite 2 Pro $29.99
- Ferrite 2 Pro $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.