IMPORTANT: DO NOT buy FieldMonitor without reading this ENTIRE description.
Some cameras have VERY LIMITED capabilities in remote mode: test your camera using its native Wi-Fi app and make sure your workflow and recording formats are supported, and that image quality and lag are acceptable, BEFORE buying FieldMonitor. Email me if you have any questions!
• FieldMonitor has the same latency, resolution, and reliability as the native app.
• If a camera control or feature does not work with the native app, it won’t work with FieldMonitor.
• FieldMonitor has no playback, review or download capability, only shooting controls.
• Wi-Fi monitoring needs a clear Wi-Fi channel. In areas with many busy Wi-Fi networks and/or sources of radio interference, performance cannot be guaranteed. Test for acceptable performance with your camera’s native app BEFORE buying FieldMonitor.
See https://www.adamwilt.com/fieldmonitor/ for more details.
WHAT IT DOES:
FieldMonitor™ lets you monitor picture, exposure, and color on supported Fujifilm™, Panasonic™, and Sony™ cameras, and Teradek™ H.264 transmitters. FieldMonitor runs on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Use markers to show safe areas, aspect ratios, and framing grids. Desqueeze anamorphic images, cropped to your final aspect ratio. Flip the image on either axis. Focus Assist helps you nail focus (camera sources only). Use a waveform monitor, vectorscope, and/or histogram to monitor exposure and color balance. Add 3D LUTs (camera sources only).
With iPhone 5S or later, iPod touch 6G or later, iPad Air or later, iPad mini 2 or later, or iPad Pro, you can see a false-color picture with adjustable levels.
With a supported camera and lens you can start/stop recording, control exposure and color settings, and zoom or focus remotely. Controls are designed for fast, realtime adjustments.
• FieldMonitor does not work with cine cameras or camcorders, only “hybrid” still & video cameras like the GH5, S1H, A7Sii, and A6500.
• Audio is not transmitted from cameras, only Teradeks.
• Camera Wi-Fi images are 640x360, 320x180, or 1024x576 depending on the camera (for 16x9 formats). Teradeks support 720p and 1080p.
• Fujifilm: only X-T3 and X-T100 are supported. X-T3 only records 1080p / 29.97 fps; X-T100 only records 720p / 24 fps. On-camera display and controls are disabled. For manual focus, mechanical-focus lenses must be used (not XC or XF lenses). Focus points can only be set in photo mode. HDMI can’t be used. No High Speed recording. Camera shuts down when app is terminated.
• “Smart Remote” Sonys do NOT allow use of Picture Profiles (including S-Log) or S&Q Motion when using Wi-Fi remote control. Focus points can only be set in photo mode.
• “Ctrl w/ Smartphone“ Sonys do not display focus area, battery level, and/or storage info. Focus points can’t be set in the app.
• Fujifilm: only X-T3 (at 1080p/29.97) and XT100 (at 720p/24).
• Panasonic: Lumix cameras that transmit a live view while recording when using Image App or Lumix Sync. GH3 and earlier cameras do NOT support video recording in Wi-Fi remote mode.
• Sony: only Alpha and RX cameras that transmit a live view while recording when using Imaging Edge Mobile. A5000, A6000, A7, A7R, A99 and earlier cameras do NOT support video recording in Wi-Fi remote mode.
• Teradek: Cube (100–600 series), VidiU, and Clip transmitters. Bolt, Serv Pro, and 700–800 series Cubes are NOT supported.
• More info at https://www.adamwilt.com/fieldmonitor/support.html#Compatibility
Fujifilm & Camera Remote; Panasonic, Lumix, Image App, & Lumix Sync; Sony & Imaging Edge Mobile; Teradek, Cube, Clip, VidiU, Serv, & Bolt are all trademarks of their respective owners. FieldMonitor is an independently-developed app; Fujifilm, Panasonic, Sony, and Teradek are not responsible for FieldMonitor’s performance, suitability, or fitness for purpose.
Camera Remote API by Sony.
Bug fix: several camera option settings were missing their switches. They have been restored.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I don’t regret buying FieldMonitor
I am using FieldMonitor with a Sony A7iii and an IPad Pro 10.5”.
FieldMonitor is an adequate way to give clients something to look at and play with while they try to slow down production. The app works well enough to pass off to someone who wants to feel involved.
FieldMonitor is a great concept that was built by someone who clearly has production experience. I hope people that are interested in buying this app realize the limitations before they complain about their $20.
With that said, I would not rely on this product as a primary field monitor. My guess is the developer would not be offended by that statement.
1. Low latency. Didn’t expect it to be this good.
2. Customizable features. Well done.
4. Scopes are pretty accurate. More testing is needed.
5. I have a live image on my flippin’ IPad Pro.
6. Fair Price
1. “Network timeouts” when playback is engaged on the camera. Is there any way to avoid re-connecting every time I want to see playback on my camera? That is frustrating.
3. No playback. (I know, read the description.)
I don’t regret buying FieldMonitor and I look forward to future updates. Thank you Adam.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the detailed and rational review (grin). As to "network timeouts", when you put the camera in Play, it drops the network connection. Sorry, that's just what the camera does; unless and until Sony changes the way it works, we're stuck with it (you'll see the same thing using PlayMemories Mobile). You can bump resolution up to 1024x576 (Settings > Camera Options > Sony Max Resolution), but frame rate will drop and latency will increase as the camera is pushing much bigger JPEGs though the skinny Wi-Fi pipe.
Excellent tool and great support
I am very pleased with this app. Having full screen monitoring is a huge help. I have a Panasonic GX85 and for some strange reason, Panasonic disables focus peaking and zebra stripe through the WiFi stream while recording video. Both are present in the stream before the recording is started and while recording it is only available on the camera screen. The extra features in this app allow me to still use sharpened edges and light to do essentially the same thing through the app.
I had some pre-sale questions and Adam was excellent and answered all my questions very quickly. The lower reviews seem to be from customers whom did not read the description of the app to see if it would or would not be compatible with their camera.
If your camera is in the supported list, or an email to Adam verifies it is, then buy this app. It is so much better than the ones the manufacture offers for monitoring purposes. If you just need to download images, the manufacture app probably already lets you do that. This one won’t.
good, could be better?
We use a Sony A7iii, the Sony app is just garbage, it has no support for full screen viewing, this app makes that camera complete. The meters are surprisingly accurate, interface is decent, but could be better. My only complaint would be the picture quality, but given they are working with the cameras built in tech and speed, I am not sure it is possible at this time. Overall, this is a great app, and a great tool to have on any video production.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.