Fighting Fantasy, the world famous interactive gamebook series is back! Steve Jackson and Tin Man Games present House of Hell on iOS!!
"Taking refuge in the infamous House of Hell has to be the worst mistake of your life! The dangers of the torrential storm outside are nothing compared to the blood-curdling adventures that await you inside. Who knows how many hapless wanderers like yourself have perished within its gruesome walls? Be warned! Tonight is going to be a night to remember..."
** REVIEWS **
"This is a faithful port to an electronic format, and it is also packed with features. Old fans will love the nostalgia, and those who have never played this sort of thing before are in for a treat." - STARBURST - 9/10
"If you have any appreciation for choose-your-own adventure games, you’ll love this app. Fans of the original Fighting Fantasy series of books will absolutely love the iOS version." - PADGADGET - 4.5/5
"All the other hallmarks of the Tin Man treatment are also to be found in House of Hell, including an atmospheric soundtrack, good use of multimedia and smooth and easy usability." - GAMEZEBO - 4/5
"The extras, like the achievements, art gallery, background material, and the retro look, are features that the developer didn’t have to do, but went that extra mile." - BOARD GAME GEEK - 4/5
"House of Hell is very engaging; it manages to produce a compelling story that transcends the realm of young adult fantasy game books. It’s also a trip down memory lane for gamers who grew up reading the Fighting Fantasy paperback series. Here’s to Tin Man Games for a job well done." - PIXEL PERFECT GAMING - 5/5
** FEATURES **
House of Hell is a digital Fighting Fantasy gamebook, an interactive adventure in which YOU are the hero! You can only win through by choosing the correct path, finding equipment, avoiding traps and surviving combat.
Exclusive new features in the app:
• Make the gamebook as easy or hard as you like and even turn on a special cheat mode to read it old-school!
• Atmospheric new visuals which can be turned off to make the gamebook look like it came off the printing press in the 80s!
• Tim Sell’s classic illustrations colorised for the app, making full use of the high-resolution retina displays.
• Ian Miller's famous cover animated and brought to life.
• Fantastic new cover artwork to unlock!
• Achievements to find throughout the gamebook with full Game Center connectivity.
House of Hell has been brought to iOS using Tin Man Games’ critically acclaimed Gamebook Adventures Engine featuring:
• Universal iOS support. Buy the app once and it works on all your devices!
• Read the book horizontally or vertically on your iPad.
• An automated Adventure Sheet to keep track of stats and inventory.
• Realistic physics based dice rolling. Shake your iPhone or iPad!
• Artwork gallery. Find an illustration in the gamebook and be able to access it full-screen forever.
• Bookmarking system which saves your position in the gamebook, much like putting your fingers between the pages to remember your previous page when reading the paperback!
• Specially composed soundtrack and sound effects.
Tin Man Games have signed a licensing deal to release the Fighting Fantasy series on iOS, so expect to see more of your favourite adventure gamebooks appearing on the App Store!
Also available: The Forest of Doom, Island of the Lizard King, Starship Traveller, Caverns of the Snow Witch and Bloodbones!
Coming Soon: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain!
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Minor Bug Fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent (but missing some critical features)
Let me begin by saying that I am a huge Fighting Fantasy fan and hope that Tin Man Games is able to inject new life into the entire series. I would especially love to see them do a faithful adaptation of Steve Jackson's Sorcery series as these books were always the crowning achievement of Fighting Fantasy.
On to the book at hand. Despite my overall enjoyment of House of Hell, I will say that it is missing features that I hope will be added in future upgrades. I play the roll of Gamemaster for my kids, meaning that I read the book to them and allow them to make all of the character's choices. In order to be a more effective GM, I need the following features to be added:
1. Ability to modify the stats on the Adventure Sheet at any time
2. Ability to roll your own dice. My kids are very tactile and enjoy the participatory thrill of chucking dice. Players should be allowed to enter the numbers generated by their real dice into the combat screen.
3. Ability to enter the name of your character onto your Adventure Sheet
4. Ability to run multiple games on the same device. Each game could be represented by a different profile. A nice feature would be a leader board showing the progress of each profile, including number of achievements unlocked and total number of enemies killed.
5. Ability to modify the stats of your enemies during combat
6. The ability to play in game music from your iPod. The game's soundtrack is decent but repetitive. I'd love to up the creepiness factor by playing classic horror film soundtracks like "Halloween."
UPDATE: I have discovered that you can play music from your iPod if you turn off the game music using settings.
If these demands are met in a future upgrade, then I will enthusiastically change my rating to an emphatic five!
A blast of nostalgia
I'd read this as a child, some 30 years ago, and was looking for the books for my son. Hadn't thought of them as iPad apps, but they're even better than the books, as they do the dice rolling, and eliminate my uncanny ability to roll double six every time when I was reading the books! It was great to re-read this with my son, who was enthralled by the interactive roll-playing in the story. I think it's inspired him in a whole new genre, so that was well worth the money. Can't wait to read the next one!
An excellent revisitation to RPG gamebooks
A great implementation of the "pick your path" adventure books from the 80s. Keeps all bookkeeping for you so you can have fun. They even have a mode where you can cheat (if you prone to do so way back then). Still a great story!
The developer, Tin Man Games, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Tin Man Games Pty Ltd
- 406.5 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2013 Tin Man Games Pty. Ltd.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.