The File Search Machine quickly finds:
File contents, documents, photos, videos, audio tracks, applications, emails, other files, folders, packages, hidden items.
Ease to use, convenient work with search results and search speed - these are the basic principles in the app concept.
Optimised to work with extremely large drives of any type. Uses Spotlight & Find (file by file) services together.
How to get started for Beginners
• Select drives or folders to search.
• Enter a search string.
• Click the "Search" button.
For the most exacting professionals
• Shows file contents in File Viewer. Quickly navigation through search words in file contents.
• Shows the search result for indexed drives instantly.
• Supports any drive types (including non-indexed, external and network drives).
• Scans multiple drives and folders at the same time.
• Searches by:
⁃ All words
⁃ Any word
⁃ Wildcard format. For example, the search string: ( beginFileName* and *endFileName and *partFileName* ) or exactFileName
• Searches for:
⁃ Files & Folders
⁃ File contents
⁃ Files & Folders & Contents
• Additional search settings:
⁃ File type
⁃ Case insensitive
⁃ Hidden items
⁃ Package сontents
• Shows search result automatically or manually during scan process.
• Additional search according to the results of the main search.
• Saves search history. You can quickly find the search query and repeat it.
• Saves search result after quit.
• File operations from the popup menu of the result table:
⁃ Open with
⁃ Show in Finder
⁃ Show info
⁃ Move to trash
• Ability to open any subfolder of the file path.
• Includes Spotlight manager to enable / disable disks indexing.
• Optimised to work with extremely large drives of any type. Uses a minimum of memory.
- Improved showing of a result list for "Phrase" search.
- Improved search for "Wildcard format".
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent alternative to Spotlight
There are several things I really like about this application:
- You can easily identify where the located file is and sort by path, size, date, etc. You can't do that from the Spotlight interface, you have to use the Finder (which is a littly clunky anyway).
- Once you find files by certain criteria, you can refine that search with a secondary criteria (by name, path or content) without messing up the original search. Very useful.
- You can switch between Quicklook and a raw viewer of the file. This is really good if you're looking at code or configuration files. Sometimes I have to look at email headers - a pain to do in most email clients... here it's just a breeze.
The localization feature was very cool and invites user contribution and collaboration. Although the translations were good for the languages I use, it's comforting to know you can edit per your preference and even submit it for review. More applications should implement this approach.
The Spotlight Manager option is an interesting addition but it didn't work for me. I think it's a useful option for people that don't need fancy configurations, just being able to enable/disable indexing per drive.
I do have a non-standard Spotlight configuration so I guess that might have had an effect on the Spotlight Manager but also on the Spotlight integration as well. It just didn't seem to be able to grab indexed results directly from Spotlight, instead it had to search through the file system. Having said that, it wasn't slow at all and found hits in a suitable time. As it builds its internal index hopefully it should improve.
- It would be nice to have a menu bar icon for it, just like Spotlight's. Not necessarily to replace Spotlight (not sure you can) but to have the option to quickly invoke the application.
- The Spotlight Manager could be refined.
- It might get a little slow in the middle of a search to the point of temporary unresponsiveness. Not a huge deal but sometimes you realize you want to tweak your search and need to be able to cancel it quickly and retry.
Good option to Spotlight
Most defenitly a good option to Spotlight.
- VADIM ZYBIN
- 1.5 MB
OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © GreenWorldSoft
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.