Final Cut Pro combines revolutionary video editing with powerful media organization and incredible performance to let you create at the speed of thought.
Revolutionary Video Editing
• The Magnetic Timeline uses advanced metadata and Clip Connections for faster, easier editing
• Enhanced Timeline Index lets you drag and drop audio roles to rearrange the layout of your timeline
• Powerful drag-and-drop Object Tracker automatically matches titles and effects to the movement of faces or objects
• Change focus points or the depth effect for video shot in Cinematic mode on iPhone (requires macOS Monterey or later)
• Edit multicamera projects with automatic syncing and support for up to 64 camera angles
• Automatically transform projects for square or vertical delivery with Smart Conform
• Import and edit 360° equirectangular video in a wide range of formats and frame sizes
• Create, edit, and deliver closed captions from within Final Cut Pro
• Extend the capabilities of Final Cut Pro with third-party workflow extensions
Powerful Media Organization
• Organize your work within libraries for efficient media management and collaboration
• Create proxy copies of your media for portability and performance
• Apply custom keywords or favorites on the fly as you select clip ranges
• Smart Collections dynamically organize content for you to quickly find any shot in a few clicks
• Locate duplicate media in the timeline using highlighted clip ranges or the Timeline Index
• Improved speed and efficiency on Mac computers with Apple silicon
• Unrivaled performance with optimizations for the M2 Pro, M2 Max and M2 Ultra chips
• Work with a broad range of formats including ProRes, RED, XAVC, AVCHD, Avid DNxHR®, Avid DNxHD®, H.264, HEVC, and more
Compelling, Customizable Effects
• Beautifully animated, easily customizable 2D and 3D titles
• Change the look of titles, transitions, and effects using intuitive controls
• Choose from an ecosystem of third-party FxPlug plug-ins with custom interfaces
Integrated Audio Editing
• Assign roles during import to easily track and organize your project
• Expand and edit multichannel audio files directly in the timeline
• Apply intuitive Logic-based effects and reduce background noise to isolate voices
• Sync video with separate audio in a single step with instant audio waveform matching
Intuitive Color Grading
• Import, edit, and deliver video in standard color spaces, or in Rec. 2020 and HLG color spaces
• Powerful color wheels and curves for precise adjustments with keying and masks
• Accurately view HDR on the MacBook Pro and Pro Display XDR
One-Step, Optimized Output
• Incredibly fast export for playback on Apple devices and upload to websites such as Vimeo and YouTube
• Export audio stems and multiple versions of a finished video using roles metadata
• Import and export XML for third-party workflows like color grading and sound mixing
System Requirements: macOS 13.4 or later, 8GB of RAM (16GB recommended for third-party effects and plug-ins), Metal-capable graphics card (Intel-based Mac computers only), 5.8GB of available disk space.
Some features require a Mac with Apple silicon. Some features require internet access; fees may apply. Blu-ray recorder required for burning Blu-ray discs.
Final Cut Pro 10.6.9 includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:
• Take advantage of the flexibility and dynamic range of log-encoded video shot on iPhone 15 Pro.
• Enhance the look of footage shot on popular Fujifilm, DJI, and ARRI cameras using new log profiles.
• Fixes an issue that could cause Motion templates to not respond to the Opacity setting.
Ratings and Reviews
Fastest NLE on the market, without sacrificing any quality
The less you know about editing, the easier to learn this software is. Those who have edited in track-based software for years and years will find this jarring. Some will outright dislike it at first. But they really need to power through the paradigm shift to reach the point where the speed is really felt. One month after switching from a track-based workflow to FCPX, I was shocked to find myself going home on-time for a change. I quickly noticed a 40% speed increase over track-based editors where everything you want to do is a deep dive down a rabbithole of sliders and checkboxes and dials. Most don't really matter to what you're doing. FCPX is intuitive. It does so much for you in the background, and, typical Apple, they've removed unnecessary options by doing them for you automatically, and exclusing ones that are irrelevant.
In the early days, editors scorned FCPX because it wasn't fully-featured. Then they added all the features pros wanted over the next 2 years, and not only did they add them, they RE-IMAGINED them to work better and faster. Other NLEs have since copied many of them. If control is your ultimate goal, choose something else, like Premiere. If speed without any sacrifice in quality means anything to you, though, FCPX is your best bet. I don't mean to make it sound perfect. It isn't. But using it is like driving a sports car — way faster and more fun.
Take the time to REALLY understand it and you will love it!
I have been an editor/graphic designer for nearly 20 years and work in FCPX eight or more hours a day 5 days a week and, while not perfect in the sense that there are some features and functions I would really like to see added(the reason for only 4 stars), it is by far my favorite (and fastest to use) editing app. And I have used MANY over the years.
In my opinion it has the cleanest and most efficient media browser that really allows you to organize and see all of your media at a glance. You have to really take the time to understand and embrace (rather than fight) how to use the Magnetic timeline but once you do it will allow you to edit must faster and facilitate your creativity more than any other editing program. I recently had to use Premiere Pro for a couple of projects and I can tell you that it is only when you use and really understand FCPX and then have to return to the traditional editing paradigm that you realize how much more flexible the magnetic timeline is. Not to mention I don’t HAVE to render as much in FCPX.
I also love the ability to build templates/effects in motion that are so powerful and flexible to use in FCPX.
Don’t beleive all the negativity, a remarkable NLE
When the revamped Final Cut Pro X first dropped, it upset many longtime users. There were legitimate issues at the time, with many features missing and an entirely new program to learn for editors that knew FCP like the back of their hands. Add to this the fact that Apple handled the update inelegantly, and it was quite the firestorm. However, that’s not Final Cut Pro X today.
Today Final Cut Pro X is an outstanding NLE. I think it’s the best in the business. When it comes to Final Cut, and Apple in general, there is a lot of schadenfreude out there. It can be hard to filter out the legitimate complaints. Try FCPX and see for yourself that it is far, far from “iMovie for prosumers”. It’s a great program for prosumers who want more than iMovie can offer, no doubt, but it’s also a superb tool for pros. Just ask the many that rely on it daily to edit television and film projects.
BTW: When you see a review that says “basically iMovie”, “very limited functionality”, or “not for professionals”, you can trust the reivewer either doesn’t know how to use the product (likely) or has an agenda in favor of Adobe (also likely). Given the number of commercials, documentaries, and feature films that have been edited using FCPX in just the last few months, it’s safe to say it’s neither iMovie or very limited. Just check with some of Hollywood’s best filmmakers to see if it’s “not for pros”.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- 4.7 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 13.4 or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2023
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.