Turn your iPad into an instrument of the violin family and play just like on a real instrument !
FingerFiddle introduces a new and highly sensitive musical experience with your IOS device. Your actions on the screen are turned naturally into an exceptionally realistic and responsive sound, whatever you do. Place your fingers on the fingerboard to change notes. Move your other hand on the screen to rub the strings with the bow and shape the sound continuously in real-time. Pluck the screen to play pizzicato. FingerFiddle responds accurately to your movements and lets you play with the full palette of violin expression, just like with a real instrument.
FingerFiddle is a musical instrument that you can bring with you everywhere to play, practice, have fun and perform with others. It includes a full collection of fine-tuned instruments from the violin family (violin, viola, cello and double bass). The basic version comes with a cello, and other instruments are available to try and purchase. Wherever you are, at any time, pick one of the instruments and play music for real with FingerFiddle.
Who is it for?
Anyone interested in music playing can find something in FingerFiddle:
- For the beginner, FingerFiddle is an affordable way to experience and enjoy fiddle playing, alone or in group. Play, practice to improve your playing, try different instruments and maybe, eventually, buy a real instrument…
- For advanced players, FingerFiddle is a new instrument to discover and have fun with. Use it in your musical productions and live performances, when jamming with others, or just to sketch ideas.
- In all cases, FingerFiddle is a musical instrument that is always right at your fingertips, whenever you feel the need to play music.
- Natural mapping between movement and sound: your finger is the bow !
- Outstanding sound rendering for a realistic output
- Pitch is controlled with a fingerboard on the screen to allow fiddle-specific playing techniques (vibrato, glissando, chords)
- The fingerboard is customizable: set its width and the space between notes for a comfortable playing
- A specific area is dedicated to pizzicato playing
- Inter-App Audio / Audiobus support (generator)
- Very low memory requirement: no samples library is used
- Inter App Audio and Audiobus support
- The basic version includes the Cello from the Classic Collection. Other instruments are available as In App purchases (Violin, Viola, Double Bass, normal or with mutes)
- Compatibility with all IOS devices
- Improved reverberation engine
- Implementation of several possible interface layouts
- Redesign of settings menu
- Scale settings to display various scales on the fingerboard
- Fixed bug with audio when the sample rate is changed
- Various improvements with graphic design
Ratings and Reviews
Easily The Best of Its Kind
Astounding realism and responsiveness not seen before in a simulated stringed instrument for iOS. Bought the single instrument version and will now upgrade to the full quartet because I'm so impressed with the attention to detail this developer has paid. Not a game, it's the real deal. Good enough to use for professional recording if a person takes the time to learn how to properly position their fingers and learn good bowing technique (which means bowing up & down, versus back & forth, as one would normally do). Feels very natural and it's the instantaneous feedback that works best, unlike in other apps. This is not playing back prerecorded samples, it's modeling the sound on the fly.
Immediately Impressive synthesizer
I've only spent a short time with this synth so far, but I think it is exactly what I've been waiting for in physically modeled string synthesis.
FingerFiddle is way more playable than comparable Reaktor ensembles played via keys and modwheel. It might also sound better than the bowed string Reaktor ensembles I've tried, though the expressiveness really has a lot to do with the resulting sound. FingerFiddle is the most expressive soft synth I've used so far (due to the touch interface). Maybe Reaktor with a good iPad-OSC setup can compare, but why go through the configuration trouble when FingerFiddle is just instantly playable?
The only thing missing is something I don't know how to ask for: being able to record the performance data into a DAW as MIDI, and play back the performance to a synth via MIDI. No instrument plugin or Reaktor ensemble is likely to have exactly the same modeling parameters as any other. It seems this is where we must perform and record audio... just like with the traditional instrument FingerFiddle models.
Easily the best strings app
This is by far the most realistic, expressive and enjoyable violin/cello app I’ve used so far, and I’ve tried pretty much every other app that tries to do this.
The expressiveness is far, far beyond what any other controller gives you, especially with 3D Touch, the bends are some of the most natural I’ve experienced, and feel exactly how I’d want them to feel on a physical instrument, and the sounds are amazing (especially the warm, smooth Viola). I am truly blown away.
My only request is please, PLEASE add Apple Pencil 2 pressure support for the bow force to mimic 3D Touch on the iPad, it would be amazing to have this same expressiveness on the larger device.
- Matthias Demoucron
- 23.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016 Matthias Demoucron
- In-App Purchases
- Violin (Classic Collection) $4.99
- Viola (Classic Collection) $4.99
- Classic Collection $11.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.