Firetask empowers project-minded people to get things done efficiently.
From capturing your thoughts and managing your to-dos to organizing and focusing on your most important tasks, Firetask combines David Allen's Getting Things Done (GTD®) approach with Kanban task management in a unique way.
GETTING THINGS DONE®
If you don't know how GTD works here are some of the basic concepts:
(1) Perform a "brain dump" -- collect all your open issues and tasks in your "Inbox"
(2) Decide whether tasks are actionable, i.e., you want and can complete them yourself, whether you want to delegate them (Firetask provides a "Waiting For" list), or whether they are more of a "someday/maybe" thing
(3) Organize your actionable tasks into so-called "next action" lists (Firetask provides "projects" for this)
(4) Assign contexts to indicate, e.g., whether a task can only be done in a certain environment (e.g., you have to be "Home" to do clean up your house; we call this a "category")
(5) Perform a weekly GTD review where you repeat steps 2-4 on a regular schedule in order to keep your trusted GTD task management system up-to-date
WHY USE FIRETASK?
Firetask provides a very logical implementation of GTD in a way that concepts such as the "Inbox" or "Someday" are implemented as task statuses; this way, categories (contexts) and project assignments can optionally be already associated within the Inbox and thus, making a task actionable only means changing its status to "Actionable".
Although tasks do not have to be part of a project, projects are first class business objects in Firetask: they have their own statuses, you can organize them via "portfolios" (project folders) and you have full control over the order of tasks in a project. Successful project-oriented task management has never been easier.
Firetask comes with great, visual tools that help you with your weekly GTD review such as "Kanban" and "Dates" views. Simply use drag & drop to move tasks between statuses, categories, priorities, due, or start dates.
Firetask is also deeply integrated with the Apple ecosystem with optional integration with Reminders, Calendar events, Contacts, and syncing via iCloud.
Firetask is available on iPhone, iPad, macOS, and Apple Watch providing you with a seamless user experience across platforms.
* Solid and logical implementation of GTD including dedicated "Inbox", "Someday", "Upcoming", and "Waiting For" lists
* Uniquely focused "Today" view showing "In Focus" (things you want to do ASAP) as well as and overdue tasks
* Practical "Upcoming" view showing upcoming due and next tasks at a glance
* Full support for simple project management via project task lists, portfolios for organizing projects, and actions for breaking down complex tasks into individual steps
* Support for link attachments
* Unique color and icon-based approach to task and project categories
* Clean and at the same time visually rich user experience
* Seamless syncing via iCloud
* Optional integration with built-in Reminders, Calendar, and Contacts apps
* Today widget and highly focused Apple Watch app providing quick access to Inbox, Today, Upcoming, and Waiting For lists
NEW IN FIRETASK PRO
If you are a long-time Firetask 3 user and wonder whether it is worth upgrading -- these are just some of the more than 100 new features in Firetask Pro:
* Enhanced overall workflow based on real-life user feedback
* Portfolios for organizing projects
* Actions for breaking down tasks into individual steps
* Link attachments
* Full control over the order of tasks in Inbox, Someday, Scratchpad, and Starred task lists
* Reminders, Calendar, and Contacts integration
* Easier and faster syncing via iCloud
* Today widget and Apple Watch app
Firetask 4.6.5 comes with two important changes:
- We retired the "Next" [tasks per project] section in "Upcoming" as it confuses many new users and is basically superseded by the new Kanban views
- We also switched full text searching to Core Spotlight with improved support for non-latin character languages such as, e.g., Russian
Ratings and Reviews
A Good Start to a useful GTD Tool
I recently got dropped into a failing program spanning 9 strategic project initiatives. The epic failure was a $50M project that has 4 dependencies on other projects that are all delayed and chaos abound. This kind of failure at epic purportions requires a person to think quick, strike first, and use any tools you can find to gather information by project, assign tasks, monitor, and GTD. I have used Microsoft OneNote and Things, but neither could give me the dashboard view I needed for immediate actions. I tried Omni Focus, but gave up on it. I have been searching for medium weight productivity tool that I would grow dependent on for my job, and not get bored with and forgotton about with all the other apps that have not met my needs.
I stumbled upon FireTask Pro by accident, was a bit taken back by the price, but it showed some promise of the integrated GTD toolset I believed may work in my personal workflow. Here is a quick list of feedback.....
1. Documentation how to use all the features is bit light. More FAQ or "How-To" tips would be helpful. Only reason for taking a star, or I would rate a 5-star.
2. Not much on YouTube to offer. I plan to share my experiences there in the next few weeks. A few quick tips will make this app useful even faster after purchase.
3. Once you figure out the basic concepts to enter contributors, projects ~ you will be off to the races. Took me a bit figure out the logic how to use the app, but once I did I became extremely efficient using it.
4. Already communicated to the developer how adding the contributors from the Mac Contacts app was clunky. He agreed a future feature. I ended up figuring out a manual workaround that is fast and achieves the same goal. Will post on youtube.
I also purchased for my iPad Pro and my iPhone. Although pricy, both apps are stable, and mimic the desktop version perfectly. iCloud Sync works as designed.
Best thing I can say is, I actually look forward to getting into this app everyday. It makes me feel in control, on top of the important tasks, and makes me feel I am adding value to my client.
Worth the price of admission!
I’ve tried a number of task/todo/kanban apps. I tried bending these others into a good GTD workflow, but each ended up leaving overwhelmed - either with a long list of tasks, or with the work involved in managing the tasks in the app. I tried the eval on this one and found a winner, and promptly purchased when the trial ran out. Firetask gives you a focused view of your tasks, is easy to add tasks, and gives you plenty of options for tagging. If you want, you can even view them in Kanban form, though I find Kanban less useful in digital form. The Today and Next 3 day views are indispensable to me on a daily basis. This app will help you stay focused on what needs to get done. It can be a little daunting at first, just create some sample items, play with the tagging, and soon you’ll understand what works best for you. The iCloud sync works well too, so with the companion iOS app, you won't be disconnected from your tasks. Don’t waste your time looking at other apps, this one has what you need.
Disappointed in that this update did not address any of my "cons". Tried to see the new kanban view types and could not see that with categories.
1. iCloud sync (keep your data private) is flawless!
2. Highly customizable
4. Stable (never lost data with years of use)
5. Good documentation
6. Detail sidebar with actions lists (subtasks), notes and attachments for every note.
7. Nice project details.
1. Tasks in the Kanban view need to display an icon if the task has a note, and display the number of total subtasks and how many done (like 0/8 or 1/4, ..). This is really important to me; Kanban is the only view I use.
2. If you are in any other view, all subtasks (called here actions) are displayed under the task increasing the size the task occupies in the view area. A simple count of done over total tasks is enough, or make the subtasks list collapsible. We can always see these subtasks in the “actions” tab in the “Detail Sidebar”.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback -- we really like the idea of showing only counts for actions (at least in the Kanban view). We will also think about a setting allowing you to show the counts instead of the full list of actions in the full-width task lists.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Elemental Tools GmbH
- 8.8 MB
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
English, French, German, Russian
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Elemental Tools GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.