The FLORA OF VIRGINIA PROJECT (www.floraofvirginia.org) presents the complete app for learning about the plants of Virginia, whether a wildflower from a weedy roadside, a shrub from a coastal dune, or a tree from a deep Appalachian hollow. The app does not need an Internet connection to run, so you can use it no matter how remote your wanderings take you.
The FLORA OF VIRGINIA app is based on its predecessor, the FLORA OF VIRGINIA book published by the Flora of Virginia Project in partnership with the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation. The flora was the first comprehensive flora offered for Virginia in exactly 250 years. The app and the book describe nearly 3,200 plant species native to or naturalized in Virginia in nearly 200 families.
The FLORA OF VIRGINIA app combines information from several other ecological data sets with the FLORA’s own data, including moisture regime, light regime, level of invasiveness, state and global rareness rankings, and listings as rare or endangered. Emphasis is on habitats, ecological earmarks of natives. Also appealing, of course, are the app’s portability and update-ability. And a unique, simple Graphic Key! This combination of features makes it a hit with much younger users, especially 6–12 students who might otherwise have their Flora experience limited to a few handouts in the classroom. In addition to the Graphic Key are the full dichotomous keys from the Flora of Virginia book in app form -- it's easy to tap through the choices presented until your plant is found.
App features include:
- Original illustrations and photos aiding in plant identification.
- Range maps for quick reference.
- Ability to filter plants based on user's geo-location.
- Ability to arrange plants by scientific name, common name, genus name, or family name.
- "Plant Discovery and Documentation in Virginia," a guide to the history of botanical exploration in Virginia.
- "The Nature of the Virginia Flora," a section that clarifies the ways in which geology, climate, and biology together create the rich, complex plant life in the state, with fine color photography illustrating key habitat types.
- "Learning the Virginia Flora: 50 Sites for Productive Field Botany," a brief guide to some of Virginia's botanizing hot spots.
The Flora of Virginia Project was initiated in 2001 to steer creation of the first comprehensive reference work on the native and naturalized plants of Virginia. For more information about the Flora of Virginia Project, please visit www.floraofvirginia.org.
1. Ruler will now show up on newer iOS devices.
2. Quercus virginiana's range map was updated.
Ratings and Reviews
A lot of content
This app may seem expensive but it is worth every penny and more. I've been able to key out several plants with this app that I have previously failed to identify with my various guides. Plus the info on plant families, genera, and species is well organized and has beautiful photos. I was eagerly awaiting this app and it did not disappoint.
Developer Response ,
Thanks Shannon! We really appreciate your positive comments. Glad you are enjoying the app.
Personally, this app is so worthwhile. Is a botanist on the eastern coast of the United States this resource is indispensable. It’s worth more than the hard copy of the flora of Virginia. With just this one purchase, as the years go by and things are updated so will this app be updated whereas the book will not. 100% worth it
Daily use App
As an ecology professional in northern VA, this app is invaluable to my work, easier to use and more convenient than carrying a field guide; very thorough, this app has taught me countless new plants
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.