Flyskyhy forms your flight instrument during flight and shows all information you need for that. You get the normal data like altitude, climb rate, ground speed, and glide angle. But it also calculates and shows the current wind direction and strength, very important for your safety.
A moving and rotating map shows your current flying position and flight trail. It indicates where you have gone up (in a thermal), and where you have had faster than normal decline. With that, you can easily find back that thermal that you lost. The map also shows the nearest known landing spots, and whether they are reachable by normal glide, given your current altitude and wind direction.
Integration with Bluetooth varios SensBox, FlyNet, GoFly iPico, XC-Tracer, BlueFlyVario, or SkyDrop gives accurate altitude and lift information. That turns your iPhone into an full-fletched GPS-vario, including vario tones.
The app makes a full log of your flight, that can be analyzed afterwards. Besides normal data like start and landing positions, duration of flight, and an altitude graph of the flight, Flyskyhy also calculates the scoring distances for you. So you can immediately see whether you have broken that FAI triangle record.
Your live location is reported on livetrack24.com or loctome.com if you desire, so anybody can follow your flight while it is happening. If you are flying together with friends, then their location is shown on your map during your flight. So you never have to wonder anymore whether they are in front of or behind you.
The flight display has multiple screens which are all fully configurable. You can move all elements to other spots, delete and add elements, and resize them.
Through in-app purchases, the app also supports airspaces and waypoints.
The app is optimised for paragliding and hang gliders, but can be used with all kinds of airsports.
Main features during the flight;
• Altitude, climb rate, ground speed, air speed, direction, glide angle and many more
• Wind strength and direction
• Moving map of the flying area
• Spots where you have had lift, great for thermal coring
• Shows whether you can still reach a landing spot with the current altitude and wind
• Live tracking of your flight on livetrack24.com or loctome.com
• Shows live location of your friends during flight
After the flight:
• Full logbook of all your flights
• Basic flight data like start/landing, duration, height difference, distance flown, and many more
• Calculation of 5-points, open triangle, and FAI triangle distances
• Graph of altitude and climb rate
• Signed IGC and KML log files of flights
• Transfer the log to iTunes or send by email
• Upload the flight directly to XContest, ParaglidingForum, DHV-XC, and other Leonardo servers
• Open flight in Google Earth on the iPhone
• Replay the flight and relive it!
By purchasing the Waypoints Extension you get access to:
• A fully zoomable and scrollable map with the waypoints and optimised route. The map also shows start and landing spots, as well as restricted airspaces (with the Airspace Extension)
• Enter new waypoints, either on the map or by specifying the parameters
• Full route support with start time, goal, entry/exit points, etc.
• Many instruments to guide you along the route
• Visible and audible indication when a waypoint has been reached
• Complete waypoints organiser
• Import and export of various waypoint file formats
By purchasing the Airspace Extension you get access to:
• Airspaces of 30 countries
• Display of airspaces on the map with configurable colors and formats
• Display of your vertical position w.r.t. airspaces
• Visible and audible warnings when approaching and entering an airspace
• Shows local airspaces by touching a spot on the map
Note: a live internet connection is required for live tracking of your and your friends locations
Note: continuous GPS and screen usage makes the battery drain faster than normal
Flyskyhy now comes with Italian texts, many thanks to Iacopo Boccalari for the translations!
We continue to enhance the app with improvements and bug fixes. The CPU usage has been reduced, and excessive usage of the CPU in the background has been tackled. Various other small issues are solved.
Ratings and Reviews
Needs to use barometer for altitude
I like this app, but it needs a little improvement. Mainly it needs to use the built in pressure sensor of smartphones. The gps altitude is always displaying inaccurately. It needs to at least use the barometer to display height above ground and not gps. Or at the very least the ability to choose either gps or pressure altitude. Pressure altitude is way more reliable. That’s what drones and virtually all aviation uses. Because it does not utilize pressure altitude, I had to buy an altimeter watch that does. But id prefer to use only one device. Especially for data and flight telemetry. If altitude is displayed wrong, then the recorded telemetry is also wrong. Sometimes by several hundred feet.
The last con is the map. Tap to zoom is not intuitive. It should use pinch to zoom.
Developer Response ,
The pressure sensor is definitely used in exactly the way that you wish. See http://flyskyhy.com/faq.html#pressuresensor for the details.
Pinch to zoom for the map is extremely difficult during flight.
App works great for sailplanes
App has been great so far but could definitely use additional sailplane features like an estimate of needed altitude to reach target based on glide ratio and groundspeed. The maps could be a bit more clear resolution as well. I'd like the app icon to be updated to reflect glider pilots as well :)
Keep up the good work!
Only good for recording tracks
None of the numerical instruments give useable numbers:
- lift is insanely optimistic, often showing 2m/s+ when my other instrument and senses tells me more realistically that I’m going down.
- glide ratio is very pessimistic
- wind speed calculations always believe I have a massive tailwind when on glide because of speed bar. Calculations are even further off if your phone is not aligned to your direction of flight.
- if more than 100km from my house, height agl is equal to my altitude msl, indicating that the app is not loading ground height data. This is even when I have very good reception.
As a result the only useful things the app does for me are:
- show a map (with airspace and waypoints)
- record my track
- report my position to livetrack24.
It does not feel like the full fledged instrument I would expect from a phone app.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Rene Dekker
- 26.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Swedish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2012-2021 Renevision
- In-App Purchases
- Airspaces $7.99
- Waypoints $7.99
- XC-Package $7.99
- Map Download $6.49
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.