FocalPaint pushes digital painting into new dimensions of expression with a whopping 16 channels (4X more than most apps!). FocalPaint's 256-bit paint engine simulates thick paint and pigment mixing with realistic physics models. Create unique pigments with the spectral paint editor, and even add your own GPU Shader code for nearly limitless custom brush possibilities.
- Realistic 3D paint thickness and opacity
- 16 channel color model (256 bits per pixel)
- Spectral reflectance editor to create unique pigments
- Realistic Pigment mixing (based on weighted geometric mean)
- Blue and Yellow make Green instead of Grey (like most apps)
- Advanced brush designer with GPU Shader code editor
- Wide color gamut (P3)
- Undo/Redo gestures (2/3 finger tap)
- Apple Pencil support
- MetalFX Spatial Upsampling (on supported Apple Silicon devices)
- Import multiple reference images with tracing options
- Brush Controls for size, strength, or custom settings.
- Four customizable "joystick" controllers to quickly change brush behavior on-the-fly
- Pressure-sensitive color picking with 3 modes (active layer, merged layers, and merged layers + background)
- Dozens of Brush Settings and Inputs
- Dynamic Textured Canvas simulates "tooth" and bumpiness
- Contextual color wheel mixer with additive (light), pigment, and subtractive modes
- 10 Standard Tube Paints: 5Y, 5GY, 5G, 5BG, 5B, 5PB, 5P, 5RP, 5R, 5YR
- Hue, Chroma/Saturation, Value sliders
- Color Mixing Palette
- Automatic autosaves
- Share/Export as JPG
- Additional Canvas backgrounds, or import new.
- Canvas Texture Properties Editor
- Import Images as Layers
- Import Images as Canvas Backgrounds
- Basic Layes with Opacity and Thickness controls
- Layers: Add, Move, Merge, Remove
- Greyscale mode
- Flip horizontal mode
- Finger-painting mode with force-sensitive pressure
- Color and Brush history panels
Please note: Apple A12 GPU or newer is required
Special Thanks to:
Scott Allen Burns
Troy James Sobotka & Friends
colour-science.org python library
MyPaint painting software team
- new color model. Old paintings will still use the old model
- better color accuracy; no red tint in greys, etc
Ratings and Reviews
App tech issues
Hi I was just trying out this new app I discovered on my iPad when I downloaded and went into the app the screens were blank therefore I can’t see the canvas or anything paint settings to show on the screen I also did a few strokes with my apple pencil and it ended up glitch me back to the Home Screen, so I tried it on my iPhone and it did really well as it was supposed to be shown when I download but I was hoping if The app can be fixed for iPads Because this app seems interesting to test out as an Artist and looking forward to what it can do, thank you for your time 👋🙂
Developer Response ,
Do you know if your iPad has an A12X or newer processor (iPad 8th gen or iPad Pro 2018 or newer)? I am trying to add a warning pop up but I can't seem to prevent downloads from incompatible devices. In any case, I'm sorry you're having trouble!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- brien dieterle
- 211 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later and a device with the A12 Bionic chip or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later and a device with the A12 Bionic chip or later.
- Requires macOS 12.2 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Brien Dieterle