Focus Stacker 4+
Create tack sharp macro images
Focus Stacker combines sharp areas from multiple images into one seamless composite image. The focus stacking is used in macro photography for subjects like flowers, insects, jewelry, in microscope image processing, in landscape photography. The app has an advanced automatic stacking algorithm and also includes manual retouch mode allowing to have full control of the final result.
Main Focus Stacker features:
- Automatic advanced image alignment for stacking.
- Automatic detection and seamless blending of sharp image regions.
- Retouch mode allows precisely select areas from source images for complex cases where automatic selection is not possible, like moving insect antennae, similarly sharp backgrounds/foregrounds and so on.
- Built-in planar stitching. Especially useful for microscope images where the whole specimen does not fit into one frame.
- Optional exposure leveling routine available.
- All processing done in 32 bit floats, import in all image formats supported by macOS (including those in Apple Raw), export in 16 bit TIFF or 8 bit JPEG/PNG.
- Native support for Apple M1.
- Preview rendering is switched to Metal from OpenGL for better compatibility with recent and future macOS releases.
Ratings and Reviews
Good entry level program
I'm just starting to play around with focus stacking and this program is almost perfect as it's very easy to use. Just as an FYI to others looking at this program, it was not able to import my Nikon raw files. I converted the Nikon raw files to DNG which it had no problem importing. One issue is that it will not save the resulting stacked image as a DNG. As far as I can tell, you can only save files as jpeg. My only recommendation to the developer is to add the ability to save as DNG to keep as much information in the stacked photo as possible.
Update: I just found the option that lets you save out the file as a 16-bit TIFF. Changing my 4 star to 5 star!
Basic but does the job
It does focus stacking magic. That's about it so not much else to say - note I have not used other software to compare and contrast, and since this works and the price was reasonable I do not see myself bothering. Context - my images are 45 megapixel and it chews through a stack of 6 images in less than a minute.
For my workflow/life missing feature is better use of Apple Photos as an asset manager. The file picker does allow you to select from system photos, but I did not get it to work (maybe just too slow?). There is also no ability to send images directly from Photos to Focus Stacker which is unfortunate - it would be ideal to not have to export to disk first (drag & drop from photos works, but Photos exports low-rez images in that case).
I normally don't leave reviews, but i took a chance on this software, and WOW. I hope it would work reasonably well, but it works VERY WELL. I no longer had access to focus stacking since i no longer have adobe products. this filled the gap just great. Put me down for a exposure stacker when the offer one...this is well worth the money, and simple to use as well. good job.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Olga Kacher
- 5.8 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2017 Alexander Boltnev, Olga Kacher. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.