**** MacWorld Favorite Mac Gems 2012
"FreeSpace’s systemwide menu shows all mounted volumes along with the available free space on each; if you want to monitor a particular volume, you can choose to have that volume’s free space displayed right in the menu bar."
"FreeSpace is one of the best free space monitors available out there. It's fast, reliable, low on resource consumption (during the testing process it constantly occupied 10 MB of RAM) and stable (it never crashed)."
"FreeSpace is a tiny menubar utility that can show you how much space is available on all local, connected, and network drives with a single click."
"I do recommend it. This is a cool little app that is very useful, easy to use"
"A very useful and simple application that once you start to use, you can never do without."
> FreeSpace is the most full-featured free space monitor! It leads over the other similar mac app!
- Categorised menu showing free spaces of all local, external, network drives, Superdrive, and disk images
- Eject all by 1-click. Eject single partition by option-click.
- Fully-customized number format on the menubar
- Low free space highlight and notification
- Mount and Eject notification on the menubar or through the Notification Center.
> Works best with Time Machine backup!
- Pin the Time Machine drive on the menu bar
- After the backup is finished, FreeSpace will notify you when the drive is ejected
- FreeSpace will remember the Time Machine drive and will show the drive in the menubar again in the next backup.
> Auto-launch every time when computer starts up
- After downloading FreeSpace from the AppStore, go to the Application folder
- Double-click FreeSpace to launch the first time
- Select "Launch at Login" from the Preference menu. FreeSpace will auto-launch itself every time when the computer starts up
> Rich features leading over the other similar mac app!
- Eject all connected drives and disk images by 1-click or Cmd-E
- Eject the whole drive by clicking the eject button
- Eject single partition by option-clicking the the eject button
- Eject all drives in the same category by 1-click
- Open the drive in Finder by clicking the name
- Drives are grouped and displayed in logical categories
- Highlight and notify you when drive is low in space when under certain percentage
- Any drive can be pinned on the menu bar. If the drive is disconnected, FreeSpace remembers it and will re-pin it once it becomes online again
- Custom number format on the menu bar
- Show read-only drive in gray color (OSX 10.7 and onward)
- Sort volumes by ascending or descending order by name or free space
- Retina display support
- Ultra-low CPU and memory consumption
- Ultra-fast auto-launch at computer startup
> Language Support
- English, Français, Deutsch, 日本語, 正體中文, 廣東話, 簡體中文
> Mac Requirement
- OSX 10.13 or above
- Solved an issue causing wrong menu bar size on Catalina or before
- Solved an issue on startup display
Ratings and Reviews
Great app but there is an issue.
I use this all the time and really like the interface and features. Unfortunatley, it seems to have developed a bug. I find since moving to an M1 mac that it is using near 100% CPU all the time. I thought this would get fixed quickly, but it has been a while and it is still there. Is it possible to get this corrected? I am running the most recent version from the app store.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your report. The CPU issue has been fixed in the latest version.
Two great features
The notifications when a disk/thumbstick is mounted or unmounted are great. MacOS can have a notable lag between when you physically initiate an action (plug something in, or press "eject") and when the device becomes available (to work with, or to physically remove); this app's notifications tells you when something has actually happened so that you can actually proceed. Extremely useful.
On my space-starved laptop, it's very useful to always see the amount of fee disk presented in the menubar.
5 stars for usefulness.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for writing for FreeSpace. It is an indispensable app written for myself and I use it everyday in every of my Mac. I am so happy that many users like it as much as I do!
Speedy access to open eject drives. HIghly recommended!
Indispensable. Lists all drives, DMGs or external; eject individual drives with a single click each or all drives with one click. Or, you can easily open the drive from the Freespace list. Gone are the days I needed to move app windows to find a drive on the desktop or to open a folder window to get to the drive list on the sidebar. You can set up Notifications to show each ejection.
Developer Response ,
FreeSpace comes in handy when you have a list of drives. They are all click-away under your menubar!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Lumus Work
- 12.7 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Lumuswork
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.