Finally, the all new version 2.0 is available including native iPad support and new features.
If you own the former paid version, please update that one first!
FretBoard is a reference tool for players of any stringed instrument.
FretBoard supports Guitar, Banjo, Bouzouki, Bass, Mandolin, Violin, Viola, Cello, Lute, Viola da gamba, Baroque Lute, Ukulele, Dobro, Charango, Lap Steel Guitar, Pedal Steel, Dulcimer, Chapman Sticks, all guitars and bass guitars tuned and set up for two-handed tapping, alternative guitar tunings and many other exotic instruments like Timple Canario, Huapanguera, Cuatro Puertoriqueño, Jarana Jarocha or Cavaquinho.
Currently FretBoard holds a collection of 170 premade instrument tunings in 15 instrument groups, and can visualize 68 chords and 83 scales on these instruments.
You can add any other stringed instrument or your own custom tunings with an instrument editor that is available as In-App-Purchase. This editor will allow you to change every aspect of the display, like wood, strings, inlays etc.
Additional sound banks can be purchased separately to further enhance the customisation.
FretBoard has an immense amount of music theory packed in a simple and intuitive interface guaranteeing fast access and easy understanding.
Features of FretBoard:
* Display the position of notes on the fretboard of virtually any stringed instrument
* Display chords in every key (68 chords are in the database via In-App Purchase).
* Display scales and modes in every key (83 scales, including church modes, Jazz, Blues, Bebop, geometrical and world music scales in the database via In-App Purchase).
* Add new instruments or tunings, or customize the look and sound with the optional instrument editor.
* Switch between the display of note names and intervals with the tap of a button.
* Add or delete notes of scales or chords with a simple tap.
* Let fretboard identify matching scales or chords to notes you entered with the optional "Identify" feature.
* Calculating the correct enharmonic spelling for notes in scales and chords.
* Skin support. You can choose from several woods, strings and inlays to personalize the look of each instrument with the optional instrument builder.
These are the in-app purchases currently provided:
Includes access to all chords and scales in the database, plus saving the settings when you leave the app.
With the instrument editor you can edit tunings and visual appearance of all instruments and even create new ones.
All Sound Skins:
With this pack you have access to all current and every future sound we implement in FretBoard.
A great tool to find chords and scales that meet a bunch of notes. Dial in some notes of a melody, for example, and let FretBoard tell you, which chords and scales include these notes.
This is the "everything for free forever“ pack! You get all the current features, and everything we will release in future updates as in-app purchase for free. Never pay for a feature again.
If you have paid for the former version of FretBoard:
As FretBoard is so long in the AppStore, we released two versions years ago, the first was the free tryout version (blue icon), the other was this full featured paid version (brown icon). Now you can update to the same feature set as before following this procedure:
1) Download the old app version 2.0 (brown icon). Launch this app once.
2) Download the new FretBoard (with the new icon). Launch this app. It will prompt you to purchase the Pro version for free via in-app purchase. Yes, it is a purchase, but it is free. We need to do this, to save your purchase in the Apple keychain for the future.
3) Finally delete delete the old brown version from your devices.
4) We want to say sorry for the above procedure, but it was the only way to migrate your payment of the old version to the new code. Thank you for supporting FretBoard with your purchase. We love you.
* Translations have been fixed
* Increase font size for iPad
* Minor fixes
FretBoard 2.0 is a complete overhaul of the well known FretBoard 1.x version. There is not one line of code that we did not inspect, optimised or enhanced. The whole user interface was refined to meet the current iOS standards and to work on all current iOS devices including all iPhones and iPads. And of course we listened to our users and added some of the most requested features. Enjoy!
If you own the former paid version, please update that one first for your free upgrade to this version!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Supports a huge range of instruments
I’m truly impressed - pro version supports renaissance 6 and 8 string G lute right up to baroque lute, and scordatura can be done for an additional fee via customize instruments. Love that there is an intermediate price step between pro and ultimate versions (I need the things in pro, don’t need ultimate yet). Love that it shows either notes or intervals and marks the root in red for easy finding so you can see what your options are to play root or inverted chords, altho you do need to figure out your own fingerings and which notes to play/leave out. Easy to shift between types of chords and big range of chords available for all instruments. Love that it can go from a 4 string ukulele to a 13 course baroque lute. Instruments can be marked as favorites by swiping left on the instrument list so you can get back to your favs quickly - this should be documented in the help file. Marking chords or scales as favorites is obvious via a big star. Guitar and GCEA uke chord chart apps are easy to find but this program is much much more sophisticated than that. Great job!
Great App., great customer service.
This app is a great practicing tool. I use it daily as part of my practice routine. Marc, the developer is also terrific. I had a problem and it was solved within the hour. Thanks Marc!
The giant catalog of scales and chords is fantastic. I love being able to flip through the menus and find the chords or scales I want to work on.
My only minor critiques are, and maybe I haven’t dug deep enough yet, would be-
1, when in the chord menu, I would like the option of hearing the chord melodically (as is) as well as harmonically (all notes at once...)
Last but not least, this may be asking too much 😊but I would love the ability to pick a chord, then tap scale and have the correct scale for that chord already chosen or a list of scales that would work with that chord or vis-versa.
Don’t get me wrong, this IS a great app and well worth the money. I highly recommend it.
Developer Response ,
Sorry, but we can not check this as we do not get this insights from Apple. Please contact the Apple support. They are able to clarify and help.
Great support and support Chapman Stick tuning/ fretboard
I originally purchased Fretboard because I needed a way to develop alternative tunings on my Chapman Sticks. I loaded it on my iPhone but FretBoard was not upgrading on the iPad. I posted a request on the Facebook page and had a response from Marc within 30 min on a Sunday. Fantastic service and the software is great too.
The developer, TheMM, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Marc Mennigmann
- 230.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, German, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 1998-2017 by Marc Mennigmann
- In-App Purchases
- FretBoard Ultimate Pack $13.99
- FretBoard Pro Version $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.