FULL METAL JACKET DIARY (FMJD) has been called an "appumentary" by Entertainment Weekly, “something Stanley Kubrick would be proud of" by Wired Magazine, and named "iPad App of the Week” by Gizmodo. It was selected as one of the "Best Book Apps of 2012" by Kirkus Book Reviews, won the "Best App" award at the 2013 New Media Film Festival, and received the "Best Mobile Media Programming" Award of Merit from The Accolade Competition.
"In 1985, Stanley Kubrick encouraged me to take photos and keep a journal while playing the lead role of Pvt. Joker on the set of FULL METAL JACKET. In 2005, I published a limited edition book of my photos and diary. This app is based on that book; enriched and reimagined as an interactive, audiovisual experience. I hope you enjoy it!" – Matthew Modine
Arriving just in time for the film's 25th anniversary, this immersive Kickstarter-funded iPad app offers fans the choice to read or listen to Matthew Modine's personal diary kept during the filming of Kubrick's Vietnam War masterpiece, FULL METAL JACKET. It features hundreds of high quality, never-before-seen photographs plus sound effects, original music, and much, much more!
- Modine's complete diary text from his out-of-print, award-winning, metal-bound book, FULL METAL JACKET DIARY
- 5 chapters chronicling the filmmaking process – Private Life, Vietnam, Boot Camp, On Leave, and Boot Camp Redux
- A nearly 4 hour audiobook with Modine's absorbing narration, produced with immersive sound effects and original music
- Over 400 high-res photos and personal documents scanned from original negatives and source material
- Detailed information on photos including dates, locations, and all-new remembrances written by Modine
- Three bonus galleries featuring select photo restoration comparisons
- Interactive "favorites" gallery designed to simulate Matthew's original contact sheets used in compiling his book
- Store your favorite photos and audio clips for later
- Select your favorite photos and tweet your friends!
- "What Was Stanley Like?" – A one-minute fully animated video featuring Modine's narration and photographs
- Handwritten on-screen "help" – get help from Matthew at any time while reading or listening to his diary
- Links to related articles, videos, content, and much more!
- Compatible with iPad mini, iPad 1 and 2, and optimized for the new iPad (3rd and 4th generation) with HD Retina display!
FULL METAL JACKET DIARY is an English-language application available world-wide – exclusively on the iTunes App Store. A must for any Matthew Modine, Kubrick, or FULL METAL JACKET fan. Semper Fi!
Learn more: http://trulyfreefilm.hopeforfilm.com/2010/12/full-metal-jacket-diary-from-book-to-ipad.html
Follow FMJD on Twitter: twitter.com/#!/FMJDiary
Like FMJD on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Metal-Jacket-Diary/174538939232457
View Kickstarter project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/30749581/matthew-modines-full-metal-jacket-diary-ipad-app
Watch the teaser video: https://vimeo.com/43685430
Media inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
FULL METAL JACKET and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.
- Fixed an issue whereby text was being cut off in iOS 8.
Ratings and Reviews
What a find!
I was listening to Modine on a podcast and he mentioned this app. So glad I remembered long enough to track it down. Worth five times the price. I absorbed it in one very long sitting. Now I have to find time to rewatch the film. Well done Matthew!
Work of art!
There needs to be more apps like this - a work of art.
The full story on Full Metal Jacket
Contemporary technological wizardry has done for a great film what previous print media books had attempted to do for such classics as Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather, and Jaws. And that is to retell the detailed story of the "making" of a great film in all its detail. Matthew Modine's nuanced vocal narration of his own personal diary, along with a vast collection of his photographs taken during production, provide movie fans with the fullness of the movie-making experience. Accompanying sound effects and loads of peripheral information and external links give the app user the full picture...and everything available at your fingertips. In addition to what producer Adam Rackoff has created for this film is the promise of what this technology will be able to do for other great films as his methods are applied on into the future. It is a feast for the movie fan and a harbinger of what is yet to come.
- Matthew Modine
- 1.5 GB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Full Metal Jacket Diary Copyright © 2012 Matthew Modine
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.