Fundamental is a sound synthesis software tool combining the different roots of electronic music history. Its wave engine is a faithful sonic recreation of a vintage Rohde&Schwartz vacuum tube oscillator ( having been widely used at WDR by Stockhausen )
Fundamental leaves behind the limitations of the original device by proposing complex modulation possibilities, stochastic distributions addressing the sonic parameters like frequency , gain, stereo panning etc. in continuum, which has not been applicable until now.
Whether you play live electronics, compose for media or just insterested in early electronic music...
The Fundamental software presents you 8 instances of this vintage sine wave generator with all the artifacts and richness of a vintage equipment. That combination is we believe something you should experience.
Some of the features : ( iOS standalone and AUv3 )
- unique polymorphing wavetable synthesis without any compromise in data content and precision.
- 4 dynamic wavetables being rendered for each voice to represent infinitesimal steps of frequency and gain combinations between 1HZ – 3800Hz of the original vacuum tube oscillator.
- 8 simultaneous voices each with custom freq, gain, boost, panning and modulation settings.
- Custom or harmonic frequency distribution of voices with variable spread ratio and tuning table.
- 4 independent stochastic modulations for each voice (32 in total) addressing all parameters with various continuous, discrete distributions and also standard waveforms.
- Full MPE support with various configuration possibilites.
- Independent Attack / Release envelopes for each voice with various modes, AR times can be set to degrees of randomness.
- Vintage oscillator or pure sine wave mode.
Direct Link for manual : https://www.sonic-lab.com/Fundamental/Fundamental_manual.pdf
Recommended iPAD model : A10 processor or higher.
InterAppAudio support, Scala files can be imported, fixes a harmonic layout preset state call bug on AUM, Trig Button is better isolated.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Please make Background Operation an opt-in feature: the app will currently run in the background until the battery is drained unless you force-quit it after use.
Also the scaling is off (skewed small) on both 11" and 12.9" iPads.
I’ve been waiting for the iOS release of this for some time now, and while I’ve enjoyed it so far, I have a couple ideas for ways to improve it. Firstly, the app is a CPU hog. I’ve got it open in AUM on my 5th generation iPad, and if there’s any gain or frequency modulation happening at all within fundamental, my CPU meter in AUM hits 115% quite frequently, complete with audible clicks and dropouts. This is pretty annoying to deal with, because I want to use this in conjunction with other apps to create complete pieces of music within AUM. Secondly, the controls are quite small to use with my finger on the iPad. Perhaps there’s a way to rework the iOS layout a bit more to provide a more pleasant experience for finger twiddles?
It sounds lovely when it’s working right!
Fundamental is everything I’ve ever wanted.
Nothing beats the beautiful chords and harmonic textures you can create with this instrument. Hainbach took everything great about test equipment and stripped away everything that’s daunting about it. I could listen to a single patch for 7 hours straight, I’m in love.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.