Adventure confidently with Gaia GPS. Discover new routes with worldwide maps. Find your way in the backcountry with leading navigation tools – no cell service needed.
Explore the world with Gaia GPS, your premier guide for finding trails around the world. Beloved by millions worldwide and featured in countless publications like the New York Times, Washington Post, and GearJunkie, Gaia GPS provides the best offline maps and navigation tools for your adventures.
The wilderness is yours to explore. Ditch the growing crowds by creating your own routes, and always know where you are – even without cell service.
HIKING, BACKPACKING, TRAIL RUNNING
• Discover hiking trails and plan your own routes with Gaia Topo, the world’s most powerful backcountry map.
• Explore hundreds of professional maps, including Nat Geo Trails Illustrated, USFS, and hi-res satellite imagery.
• Travel with confidence – Take your maps offline so you always know where you are, even far from cell service.
• Leave a breadcrumb on the map so you can always find your way back home.
• Use our intelligent route planner to create routes on the fly.
• Use our app as an altitude, elevation and distance tracker for each hike.
• Mark campsites and points of interest, drop photo waypoints.
• Get weather forecasts to stay on top of changing conditions.
• From national parks to backcountry trails, our nav and hiking app has you covered.
• Discover camping and reserve sites right from the map.
• Find dispersed camping far from the crowds with public and private land boundaries and USFS maps.
• Mark campsites with waypoints so you can easily find them late at night or on your next trip.
• The premier offroad app for planning, navigating, and recording 4x4 and overlanding adventures.
• Take topo maps, USGS, USFS, MVUM, public and private land maps offline so you can always find your way, even without cell service.
• Plan expeditions on your desktop at home with intelligent route planning tools.
• Reroute on the fly using your phone or tablet in the field thanks to snap-to-trail route building.
• Drop customizable waypoints to mark campsites and points of interest.
• Stay one step ahead of nature with precipitation forecasts and wildfire activity.
• Display your maps, routes, and waypoints on your dashboard with Apple CarPlay.
• Identify avalanche terrain with slope angle shading and topographic information
• Get the avalanche forecast to stay safe on the mountain.
• Record your ski tracks, view incoming weather and get SNOTEL data.
• Track your location, even without cell service.
• Find the best trails curated by the team over at Trailforks.
• View trail difficulty, direction, and conditions.
• Find new trails from local bikers to explore the wilderness around you.
• Gaia GPS is the preferred nav app for outdoor professionals.
• Quickly route to GPS coordinates, view recent wildfires, and share maps, tracks, & waypoints with your team.
• Mark hiking trails, routes, campsites, & water sources.
• Share data with clients & fellow guides.
• Free – limited maps, for online use only.
• Premium – full online and offline access to the map catalog; print custom maps.
• Gaia GPS is part of the Outside Inc, family. Create an Outside account to access the map.
MANAGE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION
• TURN OFF auto-renewal via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period.
• Your iTunes Account will be charged at confirmation of purchase.
Time for some bug fixes!
• The "save" and "cancel" buttons when editing waypoints or routes are no longer missing if you have a grid overlay turned on.
• Tapping "cancel" after starting to create a waypoint actually cancels (instead of saving the waypoint).
• Exported KML/KMZ files can once again be opened in Google Earth Pro.
• Several bugs have been fixed which could cause the app to crash when editing waypoints.
• A bug which caused some users to be prompted to log in with annoying regularity has been fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
Gaia came to save the day !
While taking a new way from Colorado to Utah I went through a dead zone where my navigating app dropped completely with no signal to accurately follow my pre planned route so I resorted to my compass and map and proceeded to follow what it looked to be the appropriate way on the map and have in mind all of these while a Thunderstorm is raging in the background. So after my soon to discover erroneous choice and 27+ miles later of Offroad muddy rainy and lighting strikes all around… I must admit even so I love off-roading being alone in a remote area under these conditions was a bit intimidating. Well short story this route came to a holt because of a lock gate. Realizing my mistake I turned around and had no choice but to drive back through the storm I was hoping to out run so needless to say the area was beautiful but the storm was making it a bit harder to appreciate at the moment. After what it seemed a while of negotiating wet obstacles under lighting and Phone Alerts to seek Higher ground I made it back to the main road this time deciding to make a quick right and seek shelter while I figure out my next move. I drove maybe a couple hundred yards and I remember I had previously downloaded this region map on GAIA so I loaded it and YEAH ! here where the answers I needed, clear marked mapped routes and completely offline. So here it is Gaia thanks for saving the Day !!
Importing back country camping zones
I use the Gaia iPhone app almost exclusively to plan my adventures, and I rely on it constantly while hiking to stay oriented and on plan. It gives me the peace of mind to tackle trips I would otherwise not feel comfortable attempting. For planning I use the app literally hours each day: route creating, adjusting, recreating; adding waypoints for important, interesting things to note while hiking; relying on the included interactive trail lines and the various map layers to design accurate, safe trips. It is by far the most important tool in my hiking toolbox. Even though I’ve gotten quite good at using the app, I’m continually finding new and amazing things it can do. For instance, I’m planning a backpacking trip to Denali where backcountry camping is regulated by zones and quotas. The National Park Service has a wonderful paper map that shows these zones. I found that their website allowed me to download a data file of the zones and to my delight I discovered the Gaia app easily imported them along with included metadata. What an amazing planning feature. I have many other examples of how I use the app but will save them for future reviews. Don’t think twice: buy the pro version and use it, use it, use it.
Best GPS and map source available and has been for many years..
I got this app about 10 years ago and I have loved it the upgrades have continued to improve it very well. I would not go with any other app out there I have tried other ones like x hunt and I did not like it. It is years behind this app. You get the personal property lines and public with this app, lots of layers that you can overlay and download. My entire family and extended family got this app too and they love it as well. Don’t waste your time or money with one of the other apps. This one is the way to go. Best app available. And I use this all the time not just once a year while hunting. I use it for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, snowmobiling, horse pack trips around the farm... the tracking ability is very accurate and doesn’t drain my battery. I turn off my cellular data and all that and use it to track and it goes all day with out killing my battery and I have a 3 year old I phone. This is the only app that I would recommend especially because I have tried about 20 other ones over the years and this is the one I stick with. The subscription is worth every penny as well. Don’t worry you get your money’s worth with this app. They have an amazing app.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Trailbehind, INC.
- 118.1 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2009-2022 Trailbehind, inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Gaia GPS Premium $39.99
- Gaia GPS Member $19.99
- Gaia GPS Premium with Outside+ $47.99
- Gaia GPS Test Intro Offers $39.99
Get things done within this app using just your voice.