Adventure confidently with Gaia GPS. Discover new routes with worldwide maps. Find your way in the backcountry with leading navigation tools – no cell service needed.
Whether you’re out in the snow or exploring scenic hiking trails and amazing offroad routes, Gaia GPS has you covered. Spend less time looking at your phone and more time taking in the snowy landscapes with the newly redesigned app. Backpack, overland, discover campgrounds and skiing routes, or explore breathtaking hike trails thanks to Gaia GPS.
Make the wilderness your backyard with Gaia GPS. Enjoy the best hiking app, road trip planner, and backcountry navigator – all in one. Reach your next summit out on the snow with offline maps, GPS coordinates, and distance tracker features to help you explore the world around you.
Cruise through popular ski tracks or hike trails confidently with GPS navigation tools to guide you through national parks and nature routes. Download the premier outdoor activity app featured in publications like the New York Times, Washington Post, and GearJunkie.
BACKPACK OR HIKE
• Hike trails and running routes are available on Gaia Topo, the ultimate backcountry navigator.
• National parks or backcountry trails – Pave your path out on the snow with nature routes waiting to be explored
• Access the full NatGeo map collection
• Backpack along offroad hiking trails & back to base camp with breadcrumbs
• Distance tracker with altitude and elevation monitoring for each activity
BE READY FOR SNOW SEASON
• The Gaia Winter base map is designed for winter activities and works well with other winter layers
• Know current conditions with ski resort information and Nordic trails from OnTheSnow
• Skiing, snowboarding, and more – chase the snow with curated snow mobile trails
• Find the perfect snow with Snow Station and Snow Forecast map layers
• Ski reports help tackle any adventure safely with Slope Angle and Avalanche Forecast layers
ROAD TRIP PLANNER MADE FOR YOU
• Offroad travel is easy with GPS coordinates
• Offline maps: RV travel is easy with offline maps that track your location, even when far from cell service
• Road trippers can prepare with available parks, route conditions, and activity tracker features
OFFROAD ACTIVITY PLANNING
• 4x4 & overlanding adventures are easy to record on Gaia GPS
• Activity tracker and route planner make navigating trails offroad simple
• Follow ski tracks or create your own routes on the fly with snap-to-trail route building
• Maps, routes, and waypoints displayed directly on Apple CarPlay
EXPLORE THE WORLD LIKE A PROFESSIONAL
• GPS coordinates help explore the wilderness while creating routes and tracking progress
• Mark ski tracks, hike trails, routes, & campgrounds
• Share your data with clients & fellow guides to improve Gaia GPS
ELEVATE YOUR OUTDOOR ADVENTURES WITH GAIA GPS PREMIUM WITH OUTSIDE+
• Access 300+ maps including NatGeo Trails Illustrated, Private Lands, weather forecasts, and more
• Offline maps to download anytime.
• Weather, terrain, and safety features
• Access the Trailforks GPS biking app
• Expert-led online courses on Outside Learn
• Premium access to award-winning films, shows, and live TV on Outside Watch
• Unlimited digital access to Outside Network's 15 iconic brands including Outside, Backpacker and National Park Trips.
Explore the world with Gaia GPS to guide all of your wintry adventures. Enjoy GPS navigation, skiing features, and countless hike trails with Gaia GPS – your perfect outdoor companion.
• Gaia GPS is part of the Outside Network. Create an Outside account to access the app.
TO MANAGE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal: https://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period.
• Your Apple App Store Account will be charged at confirmation of purchase.
- We added redo and undo functionalities to the route editing.
- Route planning now has single tap to add a new point to your route.
- We fixed a couple crashes in the new route editing profile.
Ratings and Reviews
Gaia came to save the day !
While taking a new way from Colorado to Utah I went through a dead zone where my navigating app dropped completely with no signal to accurately follow my pre planned route so I resorted to my compass and map and proceeded to follow what it looked to be the appropriate way on the map and have in mind all of these while a Thunderstorm is raging in the background. So after my soon to discover erroneous choice and 27+ miles later of Offroad muddy rainy and lighting strikes all around… I must admit even so I love off-roading being alone in a remote area under these conditions was a bit intimidating. Well short story this route came to a holt because of a lock gate. Realizing my mistake I turned around and had no choice but to drive back through the storm I was hoping to out run so needless to say the area was beautiful but the storm was making it a bit harder to appreciate at the moment. After what it seemed a while of negotiating wet obstacles under lighting and Phone Alerts to seek Higher ground I made it back to the main road this time deciding to make a quick right and seek shelter while I figure out my next move. I drove maybe a couple hundred yards and I remember I had previously downloaded this region map on GAIA so I loaded it and YEAH ! here where the answers I needed, clear marked mapped routes and completely offline. So here it is Gaia thanks for saving the Day !!
Possibly the best app ever
I am an avid outdoorsman, private pilot, recreational fisherman, big game hunter, etc. and I have used a hundred different GPS/mapping/geolocation/topographic maps over the years. Gaia is by far the best all-in-one map app I’ve ever used BY FAR. Used free version for a while and decided to upgrade to paid version and it is money well spent. This app has literally hundreds of overlays from cell service coverage to 24 hour weather forecasts to private landowner information to USGS topo maps to VFR aeronautical maps. I couldn’t recommend this app more highly to anyone who spends any amount of time in the mountains, or boating, or hiking, camping, cycling, kayaking or big game hunting. In my humble opinion this app is indispensable for outdoor enthusiasts of any kind. Probably my favorite feature is the map overlays — you start with a solid base map like Satellite imagery or OpenStreetMaps and from there you can start stacking other maps on top of it with varying transparency. I also like the trip recording feature, which you can trigger from your Apple Watch and it will record distance traveled, elevation changes, average traveling speed, and even show you a cross section of the ascent/descent changes made on your trip. I honestly can’t say enough great things about this app…you’ll just have to download it and see for yourself.
Best I've found by a wide margin!
Gaia's accuracy even when I have zero service is pretty dang impressive. It's often spot on perfect but even when it isn't, it's not far off. At the very least it's always close enough for me to find my way. It also seems to have a bigger database of trails than any of the other apps I've used. Reviews of trails written by other users have always been helpful and led to some great gems and tips on what to expect for a given trail.
The feature I personally love the most is the trail tracing feature. You can create two or more waypoints and Gaia will generate a trail path to get you to your destination. It's particularly dumb proof for those of us who are map challenged, and I loooove that it includes a distance estimate. It helps plan my endurance, meals/snacks, time allotment, and expectations. If you want, you can break a single hike into several waypoints so you can know about how long each leg of the trip is. This can help line up your map trail so you can know when to expect obstacles, challenges, route changes, or noteworthy milestones listed in user reviews. For example: "4 and a half miles in there's a really dicey scramble up steep shale. Take your time and be careful!"
I *never* write reviews, so it's saying something that I'm impressed enough to write one at all. 11/10 would recommend.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Trailbehind, INC.
- 145.1 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Apple Watch
- Requires watchOS 7.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2009-2024 Trailbehind, inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Gaia GPS Premium $59.90
- Gaia GPS Member $19.99
- Gaia GPS Premium with Outside+ $89.90
- Outside+ (Legacy) $71.90
- Gaia GPS Test Intro Offers $999.99
Get things done within this app using just your voice.