Adventure confidently with Gaia GPS. Discover new routes with worldwide maps. Find your way in the backcountry with leading navigation tools – no cell service needed.
Discover scenic hike trails, camping sites, and amazing offroad routes with Gaia GPS. Enjoy easy-to-read maps to backpack and explore nature conveniently. Make the great outdoors your backyard with Gaia GPS – the best backcountry navigator for hiking, camping and exploring the wilderness. Do more with offline maps, route planner, and distance tracker features that help you navigate the great outdoors.
Gaia GPS is the offroad travel app that provides the best GPS navigation tools to help you explore the world. Download the premier outdoor activity app featured in publications like the New York Times, Washington Post, and GearJunkie.
HIKING, BACKPACKING, TRAIL RUNNING
• Plan routes and hiking trails with Gaia Topo, the ultimate backcountry navigator.
• Explore hundreds of professional topographic maps from Nat Geo Trails Illustrated, USFS, and hi-res satellite imagery.
• Nature routes made for exploring the wilderness, from national parks to backcountry trails.
• Offline maps: RV travel is easy with maps that track your location, even when far from cell service.
• Navigate routes offroad & leave breadcrumbs on maps so you can find your way back to base camp.
• Our hiking app includes an altitude, elevation and distance tracker for each activity.
• Mark campgrounds and points of interest with GPS coordinates and drop photo waypoints.
COMPLETE TRIP PLANNER
• Road trip planner helps you prepare for offroad travel.
• Route planner lets you create routes on the fly and navigate with confidence.
• Weather predictions help you stay on top of changing conditions.
• Monitor wildfire activity directly in-app.
• Explore the wilderness and discover routes with the top backcountry navigator – Gaia Topo.
A COMPLETE CAMPING APP
• Campgrounds and camping sites are yours to discover directly in-app.
• Find your next campsite far from crowds with public and private land boundaries and USFS maps.
• GPS navigation tools & GPS coordinates help mark your base camp and points of interest.
• The premier offroad activity app for planning, navigating, and recording 4x4 and overlanding adventures.
• Navigate through trails offroad with an activity tracker and route planner
• Create routes on the fly with snap-to-trail route building.
• Display your maps, routes, and waypoints on your dashboard with CarPlay integration.
BACKCOUNTRY NAVIGATOR FOR SKIING
• Get avalanche forecast and terrain information with slope angle shading & topographic maps information.
• Record your ski tracks as you navigate through trails & get SNOTEL data.
• Offline maps & GPS navigation help track your location so you always find your way back.
• The preferred GPS navigation app for outdoor professionals.
• Create routes with GPS coordinates and share maps, tracks, and waypoints with your team.
• Mark hiking trails, routes, campgrounds, & water sources.
• Share data with clients & fellow guides.
• Free – limited maps, for online use only.
• Gaia GPS with Outside+ gives you expert-guided navigation, award-winning adventure films, premium content from Outside Online, access to Trailforks Pro, and more!
Explore the world around you with Gaia GPS. Enjoy GPS navigation, route planner features, and countless trails and campgrounds to discover. Gaia GPS is your perfect outdoor activity helper.
• Gaia GPS is part of the Outside Inc, family. Create an Outside account to access the map.
TO MANAGE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal: https://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period.
- fixed a crash that might occur when tapping on the map to view details about objects shown on it
- fixed a crash (we hope) that might occur when opening/closing the sidebar panel on iPads
Ratings and Reviews
Gaia came to save the day !
While taking a new way from Colorado to Utah I went through a dead zone where my navigating app dropped completely with no signal to accurately follow my pre planned route so I resorted to my compass and map and proceeded to follow what it looked to be the appropriate way on the map and have in mind all of these while a Thunderstorm is raging in the background. So after my soon to discover erroneous choice and 27+ miles later of Offroad muddy rainy and lighting strikes all around… I must admit even so I love off-roading being alone in a remote area under these conditions was a bit intimidating. Well short story this route came to a holt because of a lock gate. Realizing my mistake I turned around and had no choice but to drive back through the storm I was hoping to out run so needless to say the area was beautiful but the storm was making it a bit harder to appreciate at the moment. After what it seemed a while of negotiating wet obstacles under lighting and Phone Alerts to seek Higher ground I made it back to the main road this time deciding to make a quick right and seek shelter while I figure out my next move. I drove maybe a couple hundred yards and I remember I had previously downloaded this region map on GAIA so I loaded it and YEAH ! here where the answers I needed, clear marked mapped routes and completely offline. So here it is Gaia thanks for saving the Day !!
Possibly the best app ever
I am an avid outdoorsman, private pilot, recreational fisherman, big game hunter, etc. and I have used a hundred different GPS/mapping/geolocation/topographic maps over the years. Gaia is by far the best all-in-one map app I’ve ever used BY FAR. Used free version for a while and decided to upgrade to paid version and it is money well spent. This app has literally hundreds of overlays from cell service coverage to 24 hour weather forecasts to private landowner information to USGS topo maps to VFR aeronautical maps. I couldn’t recommend this app more highly to anyone who spends any amount of time in the mountains, or boating, or hiking, camping, cycling, kayaking or big game hunting. In my humble opinion this app is indispensable for outdoor enthusiasts of any kind. Probably my favorite feature is the map overlays — you start with a solid base map like Satellite imagery or OpenStreetMaps and from there you can start stacking other maps on top of it with varying transparency. I also like the trip recording feature, which you can trigger from your Apple Watch and it will record distance traveled, elevation changes, average traveling speed, and even show you a cross section of the ascent/descent changes made on your trip. I honestly can’t say enough great things about this app…you’ll just have to download it and see for yourself.
Best I've found by a wide margin!
Gaia's accuracy even when I have zero service is pretty dang impressive. It's often spot on perfect but even when it isn't, it's not far off. At the very least it's always close enough for me to find my way. It also seems to have a bigger database of trails than any of the other apps I've used. Reviews of trails written by other users have always been helpful and led to some great gems and tips on what to expect for a given trail.
The feature I personally love the most is the trail tracing feature. You can create two or more waypoints and Gaia will generate a trail path to get you to your destination. It's particularly dumb proof for those of us who are map challenged, and I loooove that it includes a distance estimate. It helps plan my endurance, meals/snacks, time allotment, and expectations. If you want, you can break a single hike into several waypoints so you can know about how long each leg of the trip is. This can help line up your map trail so you can know when to expect obstacles, challenges, route changes, or noteworthy milestones listed in user reviews. For example: "4 and a half miles in there's a really dicey scramble up steep shale. Take your time and be careful!"
I *never* write reviews, so it's saying something that I'm impressed enough to write one at all. 11/10 would recommend.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Trailbehind, INC.
- 144.5 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2009-2023 Trailbehind, inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Gaia GPS Premium $59.90
- Gaia GPS Member $19.99
- Gaia GPS Premium with Outside+ $59.99
- Outside+ (Legacy) $47.99
- Gaia GPS Test Intro Offers $39.99
Get things done within this app using just your voice.