GarageBand turns your iPad, and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards, guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance with support for up of 32 tracks. Use the Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs. Audio Unit Extensions in iOS 13 allow you to play, record and mix third-party instruments or effects right into GarageBand. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record to capture your performance
Play your iPad, and iPhone, like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy Touch Instrument
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps & stompboxes
• Use 3D Touch to play keyboard sounds with polyphonic aftertouch*
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions**
Drummer for iOS
• Add virtual session drummers to your song, who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists***
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops****
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favorite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher, and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs using email or Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud*****
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* Polyphonic aftertouch is available on iPhone 6s or later.
** Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
*** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
**** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
***** Sharing to Facebook and YouTube requires iMovie.
• Support for Dark Mode and new Share sheet in iOS 13
• Access files from external hard drives, SD card readers, and USB drives
• Improves audio fidelity of Apple Loops when making tempo and key changes
• New downloadable “Skyline Heat” sound pack with a collection of over 350 new Hip Hop loops and 6 drum kits
• Search for Apple Loops by Sound Library pack name
• Provides performance and stability improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Ok so I’ve been using GarageBand seriously for 3 years. And I’ve enjoyed making beats on it. I truly have. I think it just needs a little bit of adjustment. One thing I request is to add in a saxophone sound. I’ve been trying to make a chill beat with a saxophone in it and I’m not gonna buy a saxophone for this one beat. Another thing is to have tuned drum kits. For example, in the FL studio you can use a hi-hat sound, but it on a piano roll, and make a cool effect where if you make a quick chromatic sequence, it has a cool ascending hi-hat sound. I have one last request. Auto-tune. Now you don’t have to, but it would be a cool little feature to have on GarageBand. Like say I were to record me singing one note, say middle C. I would like for that note to change into other notes. Like if I recorded myself singing the note C, and the word “office”, and both syllables were on beat, each syllable could be different notes, or to make it more complicated, divide the syllables by twos, threes, fours, fives, sixes and so on and so fourth. Ok that got complicated. I just wanted to get the specifics about a possible new auto-tune feature. But so far the app is great I just request those three things. Have a great day!
Issue recording vocals stops recording and doesn’t record anything you’ve recorded
Anyone know how to solve this recording stopping no matter how I record anything thru physical mic on iPhone 6s it use to record just fine. I’m about to purchase an iMac Pro and midi keyboard. Over the years I’ve tried all the daws garage band I can actually have finished work. I absolutely love it! MacBook experience wasn’t the best but it was an MacBook from 09 iPad Pro super impressed! So I can’t wait till I get the iMac Pro! I’m holding an pretty chart rank currently 17th global and 14th national chart rank. Trying to maintain this momentum until the iMac. GarageBand you tha best well tie with logic minus the new samples and loop packs! Alltho I use external more I still love physically playing the instruments that’s super dope! I now know how to play piano/keyboard and never played before. Does anyone know how to fix this recording stopping? Space seems to be the issue as always. Haha so I’m sure it’s the space problem. I deleted the app and re downloaded it and permanently lost roughly 20-25 new projects. Keep the live instruments coming definitely pretty dope! Especially playing drums and keyboard definitely give GarageBand an overall 6+ stars if I could cut samples that would be nice. Much love GarageBand been with ya guys and only you for almost 5 years now.
I want to use wind instruments, but they’re not there!
I’m a beginner music maker, and I’ve been playing in a school band for a lot of my life, so I grew up loving wind instruments like flute, trumpets, etc. but as of July 10, 2019, there doesn’t seem to be an option to get them. I searched for extensions to add to GarageBand so that I may use the more traditional instruments, but I couldn’t find anything. All I have is the computerized digital percussion, some strings I don’t know how to use (yet), and a piano which I’m unable to really use because on my phone screen, the accents and attacks on the instrument are very spontaneous and annoying. It’s a good app, don’t get me wrong, but no matter where I look, I can’t find any instruments I know what to do with in a composition (i.e. wind instruments). There also doesn’t seem to really be a good way of making music box music in it no matter how hard I try (I try using the Sweet Bells on the piano setting, but even after messing with the sound settings it still doesn’t feel right). The reason I point these things out is because I want to create more traditional or fantasy-based music. It would be nice to be able to create some ethereal music without struggling to find the instruments. Other than that, the app is wonderful and intuitive. I intend to keep using it, just so long as I have access to wind instruments and hopefully a music box-like instrument. Thank you for your time!
- Apple Inc.
- 1.7 GB
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.