GarageBand is the easiest way to create a great-sounding song on your Mac. Add realistic, impeccably produced and performed drum grooves to your song with Drummer. Easily shape the sound of any instrument in the Sound Library with Smart Controls. Crank up the bottom end with Bass Amp Designer, or mix and match electric guitar amps, cabinets, and pedals with Amp Designer and Pedalboard. Control GarageBand and play any software instrument wirelessly on your iPad using the Logic Remote app. Use iCloud to keep your GarageBand projects updated across multiple Mac computers, or even import GarageBand for iOS songs directly from iCloud.
• A fresh new look, designed for easy music making
• Find the sweet spot in every track with the interactive visual EQ
• Support for Touch Bar on the MacBook Pro lets you quickly fine-tune sounds, navigate around your project, and perform instruments
• Enable Quick Help and get useful hints wherever you hover your cursor
• Add a virtual session drummer, percussionist, or beat producer to your song that takes direction and plays realistic beats
• Choose among 33 players from popular genres like EDM, Hip Hop, Rock, and Alternative
• Use a simple set of controls to shape your drummer’s performance
• Each player can perform over a million unique groove and fill combinations
• Get inspired with a fresh new collection of sounds and instruments
• Explore new Apple Loops covering the latest electronic and urban genres
• Drummer loops can be added to your song and then customized with performance controls
• Easily shape any sound in the library with a custom set of knobs, buttons, and sliders
• The look and personality of Smart Controls changes with each instrument
Amps and Stompboxes
• Use Bass Amp Designer to dial up classic and modern tones
• Build your own guitar rig with Amp Designer using 25 legendary amps and cabinets
• Design a custom Pedalboard from a collection of 35 fun and creative stompbox effects
Record. Mix. Master. Share.
• Create a song with up to 255 tracks
• Quickly change the timing of an audio recording using Flex Time
• Use Groove Track to align the rhythm and timing of all your tracks with a single click
• Choose your best performance with multi-take recording
• Export to your Music library or share directly to SoundCloud
• Use iCloud to keep your GarageBand projects up to date across your Mac computers
• Start a song anywhere on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then import it wirelessly to your Mac to take it even further
• Remotely add new tracks to your project using GarageBand on your iPhone or iPad
Works with Logic Remote
• Use your iPhone or iPad and Multi-Touch gestures to wirelessly play any GarageBand instrument on your Mac
• Access Smart Controls on your iPad to shape any sound while you’re playing
• Navigate your song and browse the Sound Library from your iPad
Learn to Play
• Get started with 40 Basic Lessons for guitar and piano covering classical, blues, rock, and pop
• Free Artist Lessons show you how to play a hit song taught by the artist who made it famous
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I’ve been using Garageband for 7 years now. Granted, this is a school laptop & I’m not any music pro, but I would say I’ve become pretty advanced with Garageband over the years. When my school reimages the Macs every school year, all of our purchased apps get automatically updated. When I was prepared to make more advanced music for college (I’m 16), I noticed something pretty off. #1, THE ARPEGGIATOR IS GONE FOR ANY KIND OF DRUM KIT. This helped me keep tempo with MANY of my projects & now it’s almost impossible to remake them in my own loop. Not to mention, some of the loops are gone too. Granted, I semi enjoy some of the new sounds like the clap & snapping, but I want my arpeggiator back. I can’t make music without it. I fell in love with this app, & I’d hate to not use it when I constantly have new tunes in my head I could make on here. I’d give this app 5 stars, but it’s now almost useless if you want to be able to produce good, on beat music. Looks like I'm going to have to save $200 to purchase Logic Pro if this doesn’t get fixed. I would really not like to have to do that because I have a lot of faith in Garageband when it comes to producing my music. Come on now Apple, you’re better than this.
Garage Band is dead. Why? Why?
Everything is gone. Everything. No Bass (I mean NO BASS?!?!?!), no loops, no strings, no woodwinds, no FX…I mean, i was just using Garage Band a year ago and it had EVERYthing and it made me feel like a genius in less than ten minutes. Now, everything is gone and it’s HARD to use. All you have is a couple guitars, some drums, and keyboards and a bunch of dead ends in setting up your tracks. I mean, if you want to do ALL the work, you can play your own instruments into a microphone. Whoopie! What are you guys selling instruments now? Well excuse me for not owning a bass and, oh yes, an ENTIRE FREAKING Orchestra…so that I can record all the samples that used to be included.
Please, just sell all the other stuff you took out as “Pro” or something. I’ll pay. I want these things back. Please bring them back. I want Garage Band back! Now, I will have to spend a year learning Logic to even come close to having the fun I used to have with Garage Band. What is wrong with you people? It’s sick. What, did the music industry bribe you to hobble the average person’s ability to make music? I literally can think of no other explanation. Just so, so, so, disappointing. Deleting from computer. Worthless.
GarageBand quite unexpectedly...
I just downoaded and installed it today, then deleted, emptied trash, and tried to reinstall twice. I can't even get it to work at all to even try to troubleshoot it.
I have used Reaper with nearly no problem whatsoever for years on PC and have so far also been able to use it on Mac with just a bit of troubleshooting to set it up correctly. But so far I haven't found a fix for the Garageband problem, and I'm not willing to reinstall the entire operating system just in the hopes of getting one app to function. I have a feeling that Reaper is likely a far superior product, anyway, though I guess in order to know for sure I'll have to use my other/Hackintosh setup to actually compare, as I have better luck with it running Apple software than I do this Macbook Pro. But I have no confidence to even attempt to pay for and download Logic X when I can't even get the free/watered down version to work.
Although I am perturbed at the moment, assuming it's possible to change a rating or to submit a newer review for the same app, I'll come back to at least state so and, if possible, how the problem was sorted out...
- Apple Inc.
- 1 GB
macOS 10.13.6 or later
English, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2004-2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.