The Gel Swatch Library by Crossroads Motorsport, LLC., lets lighting production personnel browse, search, and compare more than 1,600 gel color filters made by the most popular manufacturers:
The Gel Swatch Library lets you:
- Search for gels by name or number
- Sort gels by number or how they're arranged in the physical swatchbook (forwards or backwards in the swatch book)
- Compare similar and complementary colors
- Examine each color's detailed Spectral Energy Distribution graphs by turning the iPhone or iPod touch sideways
- View CMY/RGB percentages or DMX values for any color
- See the last 21 colors visited with the "Recently Viewed Colors" list
- Send comments directly to the developers with the "Feedback" button
We have added two great new features we think you will love:
1. Live view of colors in the gel item or gel comparison view with either front or back cameras.
2. Or see the same gel views over any photo in your library.
Both of these features are available as an in app purchase. Both of the features can be previewed for free with our pre-chosen colors (G-101 & G-305).
The Gel Swatch Library is perfect for:
- Cruise ships
- Corporate events
- Educational theater programs
- Theatrical dealers
- And many more areas of the lighting world!
Appearance fixes to extend the usability in dark environments. Large headers for improved navigation for users running iOS 11 or higher.
Ratings and Reviews
Essential Cinematography iPhone app
Thank you for the latest Gel Swatch iPhone app update.
The ability to use my iPhones camera or a calibrated photo to preview thousands of gel colors plus compare gels side by side over the image?
This update is a game changer for my location scouts, tech meetings and those quick “What gel looks good here?” moments.
I can’t wait to use it out in the field and on-set. It’s top of the stack now in my iPhones Cinematography Apps folder.
One suggestion on improving the app.
If the apps photo preview feature gave us the ability to selectively erase or paint on an area of the color gel overlay (for still photos only, not the live camera) this would really help in coming up with complex color combos. The ability to show Production Designers, Set Painters and Props people where a gel color wash will play on a live set would be incredible for an iPhone app.
Tiffen used to have 2 iPhone apps that allowed masking to a certain degree with their camera filters overlaid on top of still photos. They sold it off I believe and it’s now called “DFT” aka Digital Film Tools in the iPhone App Store. It still functions the same and I use it all the time.
I don’t know how complex app coding is but just a thought on taking the app to the next level.
Have a great New Year!
Great tool if you take the time to set your screens brightness and color temperature this app renders color really well. Also has nice features to make your life easier.
Great app! I would love to be able to cross compare ANY 2 gels, not just what is comparable to the first selected gel.
Also once you add a gel to a project, you should be able to click on those gels and see the waveform and transmission %. Not just attached notes.
Fix those two things and you’ve got a 5 star app!
Developer Response ,
Thanks, we appreciate your comments. You can cross compare any 2 gels in the library. Just select the first color and then tap the compare icon at the bottom left and that will allow you to find any other gel in the more than 1600 colors. We will take a look at your request for projects and see if it can be done soon. BTW, the twelfth birthday for our app is coming up and we would love to get another star for our rambunctious 12 year old.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Crossroads Motorsport, LLC
- 38.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2008 - 2020 Crossroads Motorsport, LLC. Colorado Springs, CO
- In-App Purchases
- Visual Package $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.