Ghostery counts more than 100+ million downloads worldwide.
Ghostery for Safari provides safe, fast, and clutter-free browsing for free. The browser extension upgrades your Safari browser and supplies full adblock functionality, stops trackers from accessing your personal data, and annoying cookie consent pop-ups.
Ghostery has three main components:
* Ad-Blocking - blocks all ads on websites you visit with your Safari browser, including Youtube and Facebook, helping you to focus only on the information important to you.
* Anti-Tracking - stops trackers’ ability to collect your personal data, replacing it with random values and anonymizing your identity for data brokers. If you see a need to unblock individual trackers, we developed this option. The reasons are up to you!
* Never-Consent - automatically removes intrusive cookie popups and expresses dissent to online tracking. This unequaled feature adds convenience to each website visit and acts like your privacy advocate towards content providers while using Safari.
* Ghostery delivers the online privacy protection our users have come to know and love while minimising the need for customisation and maintenance.
As Ghostery is more than an ad-blocker, it comes with exceptional additional features, not found in any other ad-blocking extension:
* Trackers information on any website your visit, informing you about the number of trackers, their type, and the company operating them.
* Trackers Preview on search engine result pages - displaying tracker information even before you visit a page. You can safely make the choice to visit it, as Ghostery will stop trackers expecting you on the landing page.
* WhoTracks.Me - Owning and operating the largest database of trackers allows Ghostery to update tracker information fast and reliably for all users.
* Managing your adblock, antitracking, and cookie popup removal function in one click.
Moreover, Ghostery is:
* Open source
* Supported by thousands of contributors worldwide
* Free to use forever
Ghostery’s core features are free for everyone. Take your experience to the next level and become a contributor to access extension themes, priority support, and historical statistics. Contributors also help Ghostery fund the development of the Privacy Suite and WhoTracks.Me, the largest database of trackers in the world. Become a contributor and help Ghostery fight for privacy as a human right!
* Block list update
* Minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
It seems this extension needs updating. It doesn’t seem to work much. And even with the tool bar option check there isn’t an icon! Also can we have be able to manually update the lists like before?
Finally available for iOS!
I’ve used this browser extension since they made it before Apple allowed extensions for safari and always loved it! I waited patiently for the day Apple would allow extensions for Safari and now they’re here, and now Ghostery has come too! Ghostery was always one of the first extensions I installed on my web browsers for tracker blocking and it should be one of the first extensions you install into safari!
Effective, Light on Resouces, and Paid Version is Expensive
The paid version is pricey at $47 per year but there are no ads etc. It catches ads and trackers as other apps do but there seems to be no impact on page loading. The price is known as a "cotribution" but billing is through your Apple account. It is mostly a set it and forget program although web sites can be white listed. Bang for the buck though is Wipr at $4.00 I believe and no subscription.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ghostery, Inc.
- 7.1 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Ghostery GmbH
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly donation $4.99
- Yearly donation $47.99