GhostReader Plus provides the ultimate Text to Speech authoring solution allowing you to quickly and easily write, edit and markup your text with speech Tags. Create beautiful audiobooks, lively podcasts or proofread your screenplay with all characters having their own voice. You can get full control over which language and voice to use at any moment or let the Automatic Language Detection do that for you.
GhostReader Plus also allows you to listen to almost any text on your Mac. Let GhostReader Plus read selected text from other apps with full playback control, listen to Word, PDF and other documents while you do something else, export text to iTunes audio tracks to listen on the go or use GhostReader Plus to write and proofread your work.
GhostReader Plus is currently localized in English and French, but can be used to read text with Text to Speech voices many languages.
--A fully functional 15-day trial can be downloaded from our website.--
Take control with tags
- Use tags to define reading speed, voice, language, volume or text that should not be read
- Read multilingual texts with automatic language detection
- Create your own custom tags to define "characters"
Read selected text aloud from any app
- Use the Services menu or Action extension to select and read text from any application
- Control GhostReader Plus with system-wide shortcuts, even when GhostReader is running in the background
- Paure, rewind, fast forward and jump to next or previous paragraph
Use with different text formats
- Import PDF, Word (doc/docx), plain text and RTF documents*
- Read texts with word highlighting and playback control
- Edit or save the selected text
Compose your own or personalize texts
- Use the intuitive formatting features to style your text
- Edit text and tags quickly by using search and replace
- Zoom your text for easy reading and writing
Fine-tune your reading experience
- Adjust the pronunciation of words
- Choose a voice and adjust speech rate
- Read with word or sentence highlighting
Listen to your text anywhere you go
- Export your text to an iTunes audio file
- Create personal and educational podcasts
- Listen to the audio file on your phone, tablet or mp3 player
Protect your GhostReader documents
- Password protect the preferences
- Restrict access to text formatting
- Use read-only mode to prevent accidental editing
*Also reads odt, txt, utxt, and html documents
Download the latest version to benefit from several bug fixes and performance improvements. Thanks for using our app!
Ratings and Reviews
I REALLY like it
I’ve enjoyed and recommended this software even before the first GhostReader. GhostReader Plus also has an excellent user interface.
The word-processor-like layout is easy to use. When I want sophisticated control over a certain voice, the interface and other features allows me to get professional results (with some practice).
If you are having trouble with certain OS X versions (my computer is older), DO NOT use the Apple voice ALEX. Even after a clean install, Alex seems to cause lots of trouble with any text-to-speech software (Apple inc - r u reading this?).
The voices you get from ConvenienceWare website (part of your GhostReader ensemble), are excellent. Some of Apple’s voices have improved but ALL of the Infovox iVox VOICES (part of AssistiveWare) are amazing and very realistic.
Improvements? I’d like to see a choice/checkbox to read only two letter US-States and not the old three letter method - thus “ill.” is NOT Illinois.
Perhaps TAGS does this but words that can be pronounced in different ways such as “Live” could highlight themselves and a pull-down correction could be chosen, then applied to selection or whole document.
Developer Response ,
Hi Toxic Kumquat, thank you so much for your positive review of GhostReader Plus. We are glad to know you liked the interface! We will keep your suggestions for the future developments and feel free to share with us any other improvements you would like to see at firstname.lastname@example.org
GhostReader is the best Text-To-Speech App
I am very happy that GhostReader continues to be updated.
The ability to use Apple's voices is fantastic. Apple has the best accessibility features for disabled people of any computer company. And the Mac and IOS text to speech capability is second to none. Apple's voices are the highest quality of any available commercially. This is why even the blind can use an iPhone more easily than any smartphone.
GhostReader is simply the best Text to Speech software available. I use it to turn my scanned books and eBooks to audio-books that I can listen to when driving and traveling.
To do the conversions, I find it is best to extract the text and past the text into the GhostReader app window so you can customize the pronunciation when needed. It is the capability to customize the output where GhostReader stands above the competition.
There is no comparison. GhostReader's audio output is the most human-like and listenable output available.
great product, tags are a bit annoying
I've been using this app for years on my macs and it's always been stable and easy to use. for TTS and great voice integration, there's no better that I'm aware of at this time. One detractor is the navigation for the tags, but the annoyance doesn't detract from the usability and app performance.
Developer Response ,
Hi onesaint88, thank you so much for your positive review of GhostReader Plus! We are always happy when people enjoy our software. Please feel free to email email@example.com if you ever have questions GhostReader Plus or are experiencing an issue. Our team is always happy to help. :-)
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- ConvenienceWare B.V.
- 28.2 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2021 AssistiveWare
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.