GIF Brewery by Gfycat gives everyone the power to create stunning GIFs from video files. It’s simple, powerful, intuitive to use--and now it’s free.
START WITH A VIDEO
• Make a screen recording
• Record from your webcam or iOS device
• Import a video file
EDIT LIKE A PRO
• Resize and crop video
• Set desired frame rate, or manually set frame count and frame delay
• Apply image filters like Color Correction or famous photo filters like Transfer and Noir
• Add multiple captions or overlay images
SAVE AND SHARE
• Easily save to your computer, share to iMessage or Mail
• NEW: GIF Brewery now enables easy in-app uploading to Gfycat!
Praise for previous GIF Brewery releases:
• 9to5Mac: "GIF Brewery 3 brings a polished animated GIF-creating experience to the Mac"
• MacWorld: 4/5, "GIF Brewery makes it a snap to convert video files into animated GIFs."
• Mac.AppStorm: 9/10, "A great app to create your own customizable animated GIFs."
• The Verge mention: "For OS X, we’ve been having fun with GIF Brewery ... It’s simple, intuitive"
• Buzzfeed article: "... impress your friends and win the hearts of many with your GIF-making prowess!"
* Screen recording now will now not be quite as forgetful of your previously used settings.
* Fix bugs.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
When it works, it’s amazing...
… but it can be really unstable when trying to use any of the editing functions. This program beachballs so often for me, and I can never seem to reproduce the circumstances that make it angry! I’ve gone to the support forums and can’t seem to figure out what would cause it to sometimes work like an absolute dream, and other times be completely unusable. It just seems like sometimes it’s feeling up to the task of making a gif and sometimes not. I mean, I have my ups and downs too. The controls and interface are great and straightforward, and the ways you can tweak and edit gifs are really granular and useful. When it decides not to beachball, it is a wonderful program. But sometimes, even after multiple restarts, after closing other programs, after restarting the computer even... I just have to give up on making gifs and hope GIF Brewery is feeling better later :/
Bugs, missing essential buttons
The final output can be good, with relentless tweaking and resets. Bugs and missing essentials make this a pain to use. No way to remove individual frames (no - key for the actual editor). You can add frames, duplicate them, generate more to infinity, but it's impossible to remove any of them from the 'saved' list. 1 bad click and you must start over from scratch. Same with slices, there's a key to add slices, but no way to remove them. Importing is a convoluted mess of converting gifs to mp4 using the media stitcher then back to the editor to convert the mp4 BACK to a gif (surprisingly their media stitcher LETS you remove frames, why not the actual editor!?)... but then their gif editor interpolates the timing from the mp4 and changes the frame count all over again. So then back to manually selecting frames, this time in the editor, updating custom timing for every frame, and hoping you haven't accidentally added a bad/unwanted frame, otherwise you have to start over again. Feels like an unfinished work in progress.
This needs a very basic way of inserting and deleting individual frames, like, literally that's what an animated gif is, yet this program makes it a terribly convoluted process.
Best and Most Powerful way to make GIFs
I am a video editor and occationally clients was GIFs of shots or sections to share. GIF Brewery is easy to just stick in a video clip and get something quick but it is also the most powerful to tweak settings and fine tune.
The biggest problem with GIFs is they get huge fast and the way to shrink them is resize the video or reduce the colors used. GIF Brewery has a great way to step down the colors used one by one until the size and quality trade offs are acceptable.
The only problem is the time it takes to make the GIFs. Some parts of the creation process are multi threaded but some parts are not. If you are trying to optimize and going through the creation process over and over that part kind of drags. The creation of the GIF maxes out my iMac but the color checking phase runs at 1/8 of max.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Search History
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- GfyCat Inc.
- 5 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 10.11 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2019 Gfycat, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.