Gifox is a beautifully designed and masterfully crafted app that records your screen into animated GIFs – the great alternative between static images and full-size videos. It's your best companion for:
- Micro-screencasts and product demos
- Animated instructions and bug reporting
- Selective on-screen video capturing
Gifox introduces a completely new way of continuous screen capturing with window selection mode – you select a window and Gifox precisely records it even when it's moved or covered up by other windows. Free selection mode is also there for you – fast-select any area on the screen and hit record, like you used with the standard grab app / Cmd+Shift+4 command.
- Pixel-sharp selection with accurate margins
- Only selected window without any overlaps
- With or without window shadow
- With or without desktop background
- Lockable aspect for fast selection restore
A set of capturing options accessible via preferences window let you explicitly control your recording and output.
- Record fps
- Playback fps
- Repeat count and pause
- Mouse cursor
- Window shadow
- Desktop background
Advanced compression options provide complete control over output quality and file size.
- Palette generation
Open up Gifox in any selection mode using preconfigured global shortcuts or customize them in preferences.
- Cmd+Shift+5 initiates free selection mode recording
- Cmd+Shift+6 initiates window mode recording
- Space/Cmd+Esc starts and stops current recording
- Cmd+A/D selects full screen and clears the selection
- Arrows+Cmd/Shift resizes and moves the selection
Easily share your recordings with built-in Dropbox, Google Drive and Imgur integrations. GIFs can be copied or drag-and-dropped directly into other apps straight from the status bar! Support for more great services is underway, but we want to know what integrations would be most useful for you – let us know using the in-app feedback form or contacts on our website.
Stability update focused on behind the scenes performance and optimisation improvements topped with some bug fixes. As always, you can stay up-to-date with the latest development progress at @gifoxapp on Twitter.
- New crash diagnostic system with better issue reporting to help us track and fix bugs quicker.
- More accurate recording progress indication in main assistant popover.
- Faster assistant popover display with a large number of stored recordings.
- New preferences to control crash and usage data sharing.
- Significantly reduced random crashes during active Gifox usage under low CPU availability.
- Consecutive and very short recordings would sometimes fail with a yellow warning sign.
- Restoring shortcut preferences would not always activate reset hotkeys.
Ratings and Reviews
I love Gifox
I use this app daily in my job as a customer support rep. It’s life saving in that I don’t have to do anything difficult to create gifs for customers. I also use the app to create gifs for documentation and helping team members. People ask all the time including our customers “how did you make that gif” and I always refer them here.
There are some other ones I’ve tried including the products that are geared towards saving and storing the file. I don’t like them, they’re slow and the storage aspect is not important to me. This app is constantly updated by the developers which I appreciate, but didn’t expect so I really like the ongoing support. It’s a great product, highly recommend it as a professional even though it appears almost “too simple” you’d be surprised what you can do with it. The interface is a no-brainer and you’ll love how quickly you can generate these gifs.
Developer Response ,
This is sugar to our ears! 😍 Let us know if we can do better!
Shut up and take my money!
I downloaded the demo and used it once before prompty throwing my money at Gifox.
It makes creating a short animated GIF from the screen fantastically simple. I used to frequently to demonstrate software bugs - showing *how* the error occurs instead of just describing how it can be reproduced. It has drastically reduced incidences of being called “crazy” by others who don’t see the same behavior.
Developer Response ,
The best bugless gif creator.
This app is the best. As a web app developer and designer I use this thing almost every day. It works evertime without error. I love how I can select any part of my screen to record and how it auto compresses the gifs while adding them automatically to a Dropbox for easy sharing. So useful. You won't be disappointed.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.