GlanceCam is a secure IP camera viewer with support for standard streaming protocols. GlanceCam is unobtrusive, loved by Users (> 250 App Store ratings averaging more than 4 stars) and modern (20+ free updates since 2018, 100% compatible with Big Sur). It's perfect to keep an eye on one, or 50, IP cameras:
• Install cameras from different manufacturers and avoid cumbersome web interfaces or obsolete apps.
• Install webcams in your living room, kitchen and garden to check on your pet when you're away, maybe turning on a light at night.
• Point a camera at your front gate and let visitors in by activating a network relay.
GlanceCam is a bit nerdy, but very useful if you want to take advantage of inexpensive IP cameras and maybe combine them to the automation capabilities of the Internet of Things; it works on your LAN or via Internet (please see the requirements below) and, while it's not the most "works out-of-the-box" solution to configure (you'll need to retrieve some network parameters), it's flexible and brand-agnostic.
Here's how it works:
• With most IP cameras, you can receive the realtime video stream via RTSP, HTTP(s) or RTMP, without opening a browser; GlanceCam shows you those feeds in resizable windows you can keep on your Desktop.
• You can add as many cameras as you like.
• By default the app shows one camera at a time in a single window, and you can switch between cameras inside that window; if you want to view multiple cameras at the same time, you will be able to upgrade to GlanceCam Pro and open as many windows as you need and have them remembered between sessions.
• GlanceCam windows can be configured to be Always on top and visible in every Space; you can use Insta-zoom (right click and hold to temporarily maximise) and optionally auto-launch at login.
• 4K and audio streams are supported.
• GlanceCam has lots of keyboard shortcuts, an URL scheme and supports Apple Script.
• For every camera, you can configure up to 2 optional buttons to perform actions via HTTP GET calls (PUT not supported).
GlanceCam Pro is available either as a lifetime in-app purchase or as a yearly subscription (both provide the same functionality, you can pick your favorite purchasing method) and includes multi-windows, an optional minimalistic UI, custom icons, manual aspect ratios and a preferential channel for email support.
Please be advised the app is designed for realtime playback and doesn't support DVRs/NVRs, cloud services, recording (nor playing back recordings), pan & tilt (PTZ) and motion detection/notifications.
To take advantage of this app you'll need at least one IP camera and a little knowledge about your network; please, check the requirements below (or get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org before purchasing):
• A Mac running Big Sur or a previous version of macOS or OS X (10.12.2 or newer).
• One or more IP cameras capable of broadcasting their stream via RTSP, HTTP(s) or RTMP; you'll need to know the webcam IP address, the protocol of its video stream, the credentials and port and to put those informations into a string.
You can check if your camera provides a RTSP, HTTP or RTMP stream by searching the web, usually on the manufacturer website; since there is no standard for the stream URL format, you'll need to retrieve the proper string on the camera's manual or website. If you can't find it, get in touch at email@example.com: I - Cesare, the developer of GlanceCam - always try to help, and often succeed, but can't promise to be able to figure out the right URL for every model out there.
• For triggering actions from the optional buttons, you'll need devices that can react to HTTP GET calls.
• To work over the Internet, you'll need a static public IP address or a dynamic DNS service, to configure port forwarding for each camera and, optionally, for the action buttons; I recommend to start testing in LAN to check compatibility.
Terms of Service: https://bit.ly/3uB6etv
This was planned as a small update devoted to fixing obscure and rare bugs, but grew into a major release with two convenient new features:
1. "Out of my way" is a trick you'll love and is available to all GlanceCam Users!
You know how sometimes you want to grab a file below a GlanceCam window or access something behind it, even if Always on top is enabled?
You can now hold the Shift ⇧ key while you move your mouse into the window area and make it bounce to the opposite side of the screen for 3 seconds; after that delay, your window will return to the original position.
Since the Shift key is not used by the operating system as a modifier while dragging files, you can begin to move an icon, realize a GlanceCam window is the same spot where you wanted to drop it, and only at that point hold ⇧ to get GlanceCam out of your way for a moment; the only requirement is that you start pressing Shift before your mouse enters the window area, and then you can release it immediately after the window starts bouncing to the opposite side of the screen.
If you hold the Shift key and move your mouse over multiple windows, they will all bounce; those in the left half of the screen will align to the right edge, while those in the right half will go to the left edge.
You'll need to wait 3 seconds and allow a window to return to its original position before you can invoke Out of my way again.
A big thank you to Dirk for inspiring this feature!
2. You can now display video from a built-in or USB camera directly attached to your Mac; while this is not a key feature of the app, it has been requested in the past and might be convenient, so now all GlanceCam Users can do so by clicking 'Add Window for built-in / USB camera' in the File menu (or with the ⌘ B keyboard shortcut).
A few details about this niche feature:
• GlanceCam Users can open one built-in / USB camera window in addition to the standard GlanceCam window; GlanceCam Pro allows to open as many windows of this type as you need.
• This "transforms" GlanceCam into a realtime viewer for such attached cameras, but does not mean that you can use this app to send cameras' video to apps like Zoom... it's just for glancing at a different kind of camera.
• While it might seem similar to a regular GlanceCam camera, this special window is quite different, as it uses a specific video engine and required to tweak almost everything. Not everything possible in a standard GlanceCam window is available for built-in and USB cameras: there is no audio support, Always on top can only be toggled on and off for all windows, HTTP GET actions are not available, as aren't snapshots...
• The basic functionality you might need is there, though: the special window can go full-screen, supports Always on top, can be resized with shortcuts (you need to prepend the Shift key to usual combinations), and remembers its size and which device was last selected; it has the usual dropdown button for selecting different sources (if, for instance, you have both the built-in MacBook Pro camera and a USB device), which again is also possible with keyboard shortcuts.
• If you quit GlanceCam with one built-in / USB window open, it will reopen the next time you launch the app; but only one built-in / USB camera window will reopen, so in the rare case that you have two or three, you'll need to manually reopen the additional devices.
• You might even decide to "bend" GlanceCam use case to only display built-in and USB devices and no IP camera, even if it's not what the app has been designed for.
• This feature has been tested with a wide range of built-in cameras and USB devices, including the app Camo, and works well, but it's not perfect, nor compatible with every device out there, so your success using this feature will depend on your hardware.
As always, please don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and, if you find GlanceCam useful, please consider leaving a 5 star review. Thank you! –Cesare
Valutazioni e recensioni
Still the BEST program for macOS in its segment of the market
Ive watched the evolution of this product since the early days of its development and since day one have been beyond happy with everything about it. The two or three times I had a more "technicel" question than I could sucessfully solve with some google work and digging through random forums online, when I findally gave up and decided I had to admit defeat and contact the developer - I got an incredibly quick and, to be honest, much more thoughtfully written and genuinely helpful reply than Im used to getting from ANY companies customer service out there these days. Its exactly this kind of genuine care for their customers and passion for what they do that makes small independant software worth every dollar spent to support them. Its never taken for granted, and the fact that this app has been around for some time now and remains in active development with responsive customer support instead of the all too common "take the money and run" types that plague app stores on all platforms these days - just goes to prove how worthy this app is of its relatively small purchace price.
Risposta dello sviluppatore ,
What an amazing an generous review, Steve! Thank you so much, you made my day :) Thanks again, hopefully the app will continue to work well for you for years to come! Ciao from Italy –Cesare
It Really Does Work!
The maker of my cameras discontinued support of their veiwer software (it no longer worked after upgrading to Catalina). After trying several potential options--non of which worked--I found GlanceCam. The hardest part of GlanceCam is finding the correct format for the URL for your camera(s). For me it took a while on my end, but once I did, GlanceCam worked perfectly. I like the ability to use L/R gestures to move between camera views, but would really appreciate a tile screen with all (or some selectable subset) of cameras on screen at once. Nonetheless, this App does what it says it will do and does it well (once you get figure out your URL string). In farenss to GlanceCam, they are very upfront if you read the app description/web page that you will need to have this information for the app to work.
Risposta dello sviluppatore ,
Thank you so much for your very nice and fair review, I really appreciate.
I know that finding strings is sometimes a bit tricky, so I try to encourage users to contact me with their camera model to try finding them together, and I often am able to help; I'm sorry I hadn't a chance to save you some time, but I am glad it all worked out in the end and that GlanceCam is useful to you.
As for the multiple cameras, it's taking a bit longer than I expected - being more work than anticipated - but version 3.0 of GlanceCam will come soon with the ability to open multiple windows with different cameras (and later I hope to be able to add a single window with grid, column and row layouts); to be 100% transparent, I expect the multi-camera feature to be an in-app purchase to recover part of the cost of the many, many hours it's taking to make it work.
Thank you again for taking the time to write this detailed review, please let me know if I can help with anything else.
One of the best viewers for a FosCam brand camera
Contacted Cesare for support on another brand of camera, (was not not a FosCam brand), Cesare quickly responded by email with video stream address combinations to try. After purchasing a FosCam branded camera, we were able to connect GlanceCam to it. The GlanceCam viewing options are the best I have seen to date. Recommend GlanceCam for all supported cameras. Other considerations are: Having a high data-capacty / good quality local I.P. network. As you may have experienced already, not easy to locate third party app.'s that easily connect to our own camera(s). GlancCam makes setup straight-forward, after entering the correctly configured camera video stream with audio listening option, address string. Thanks for reading / your time.
Risposta dello sviluppatore ,
Thank you so much for leaving such a nice and detailed review, it really helps other Users understand what the app can do, and me because the best advertising comes from happy Customers :) Thanks again, and please don't hesitate to contact me again. -Cesare
Lo sviluppatore, Cesare Forelli, ha indicato che le procedure per la tutela della privacy dell’app potrebbero includere il trattamento dei dati descritto di seguito. Per ulteriori informazioni, consulta l’informativa sulla privacy dello sviluppatore.
Dati non collegati a te
I seguenti dati possono essere raccolti ma non vengono collegati alla tua identità:
Le procedure per la tutela della privacy possono variare, per esempio, in base alle funzioni che usi o alla tua età. Ulteriori informazioni
- Cesare Forelli
- 33.1 MB
- Richiede macOS 10.13 o versioni successive.
- © Cesare Forelli
- 3,99 USD
- Acquisti in-app
- GlanceCam Pro unlimited unlock 22,99 USD
- GlanceCam Pro 1 year 8,99 USD
- Good tip 7,99 USD
Se “In famiglia” è stato attivato, fino a sei membri della famiglia potranno usare l’app.