You’ve never played Sudoku like this.
Good Sudoku turns your iOS device into an AI powered Sudoku genius whose only mission is to help you learn and love this classic game.
Whether you’ve never tried Sudoku, or you play every day, Good Sudoku’s elegant layout, intelligent hint system, and busywork reducing tweaks will help you play better and have more fun.
- Over 70,000 of the highest quality puzzles you’ll see anywhere
- Optional tools to reduce busywork
- AI powered hint support to continuously boost your skills
- 3 standard modes: Good, Arcade, and Eternal
- 3 Daily puzzle modes that get harder throughout the week + global leaderboards
- 5 levels of difficulty
- Import your own puzzles from elsewhere in Custom mode (and share them with friends!)
We put everything we could into making the best digital Sudoku game ever released:
- We wrote a puzzle generator from scratch to create over 70,000 of the highest quality puzzles you’ll see anywhere. We spent weeks figuring out how to generate intricate and complex puzzles you won’t find in other Sudoku apps. Our hardest puzzles require wild techniques like “XYZ Wings”, “Hidden Quadrouples”, “Jellyfish”, and “Swordfish”.
- Most people don’t know this but Sudoku puzzles are actually generated by programatic Sudoku solvers. The fastest way to know how hard your puzzle is, or if it’s valid, is to write a solver that knows all the strategies that can try it. With Good Sudoku, we run our solver as you are playing, so if you get stuck, it can detect what you know by looking at your answers and your notes, and then help you find the next technique you need to solve the puzzle.
- Most Sudoku games classify difficulty into vague Easy, Medium, and Hard difficulties — But what do these difficulties mean? Typically they refer to the kinds of solving techniques that are required to solve a given puzzle without resorting to guess-and-check. In Good Sudoku we aren’t vague about it at all. We lay out exactly which techniques are required for each difficulty level. Good Sudoku allows you to practice them individually outside of puzzles, and keeps track of which ones you’ve learned!
- When we first got interested in Sudoku we noticed that a lot of players spend most of their time looking at the board and counting. On easy puzzles, this counting serves as a way to increase the difficulty by making the puzzle take longer. We know some sudoku players love the counting but we found it a bit tedious and designed some tools to alleviate the busywork. At first these tools might feel a bit like cheating, but once your mind is freed up from counting you’ll have space to see the much deeper more fascinating side of Sudoku: all of the beautiful technique structures. Freed from the burden of busywork Sudoku becomes one of the best search-style games we’ve ever played. More fun than word-searches and solitaire, high-level Sudoku is a real treat — and with Good Sudoku and a little practice, anyone can learn it!
- We noticed when looking at other Sudoku apps although there are often daily puzzle modes, those modes never include global leaderboards. Weird! Good Sudoku remedies this problem!
- We wanted to make the best Sudoku out there, and while we’re proud of our puzzles, we recognize that puzzles come from all places. That’s why we built a quick and easy custom puzzle mode into Good Sudoku, so if you have a paper puzzle that you’re stuck on, or you’re trying some wild variant (Like the Miracle Sudoku!) it’s easy to put it into the game, play it, and share it with your friends. If the puzzle follows standard Sudoku rules, our hint system will even help you get unstuck!
We truly hope Good Sudoku can introduce you to, or deepen your love for this great game.
-Zach and Jack
- Fixed save related issues
- Fixed broken Improve mode puzzles
- Fixed unsolvable puzzles in puzzle books (restart those puzzles to apply this fix)
- Various other small fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Perhaps one of the five greatest apps
I’ve been using my iPhone for 4-5 hours/day for the last 10+ years, and every 3-4 years an app comes along that just changes everything for you. Apps like google maps, or dark sky. Brilliant execution that change how you experience your iPhone and bring joy to your life. Good Sudoku is one of those apps. It changes the process of solving sudoku puzzles from one of relentless scanning and book keeping to one of *really* engaging your higher thought processes and learning advanced techniques. it also, in just 2-3 days, has taught me more about how to solve sudoku puzzles, seamlessly, than i had learned in the previous 20+ years as a casual solver. The interaction is a delight, and i genuinely look forward to each new chance to play with it. These are one of the apps that I would pay money to rate 6 stars, and it’s the sort of app you should have no problem paying $20-$30 for. It’s good enough that i would recommend someone who loves sudoku to buy an iPod touch *just* to play this game.
Game changer (literally) - thanks so much to the developer and designer who clearly put their heart and soul into it - you have made my life better.
Good start - a couple little things
Hi Zach and Jack, I hope you guys read these reviews. I’m a sudoku junkie and you fellas have yourselves a very nice little app here. I have 2 issues to report, one, kind of a big deal, the other not so much. The one that’s not a huge issue is a graphical issue: on phones that have the notch at the top of the screen like the iPhone X, Xs and 11, there is a graphical glitch that makes the “horns” of the screen white while the rest of it yellow. Now the 2nd issue: related to the Techniques functionality. When browsing a given technique, and then clicking Hint to get more info about the technique, you’re then given an option of Show Me. The issue is that when you click Show Me, there is hardly any time (about a split second) to see what the system is showing you. Almost immediately after clicking show me, the screen gets covered by another dialog box and it’s only options are to go back to the main menu, or try another example. For people to be able to learn, the screen that results from pressing Show Me needs to persist for as long as the user needs it, and further, you should be able to toggle back and forth between the before and after of the number changes. This is the other Sudoku apps do it. Great work so far and hope to see that update soon!
A fun take on sudoku!
I’ve been playing sudoku on and off for years, and I still learned some surprising tips and tricks from this app! This app doesn’t seem to necessarily reinvent the game, but it does make sudoku feel fresh again. Part of the fun is the easy to use automated features. And with a one time in-app purchase, it‘s a deal!
There’s two very minor things I would consider changing. One is I think in the settings it defaulted to left-handed mode (unless I bumped the setting by accident early on). Might be best to either default to right-handed or ask during the first app launch. The second thing is a bit nit-picky, but I’m the main screen there’s a sliver of white across the top which I’d get rid of.
- STFJ LLC
- 170.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPad Air, iPad Air Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad (6th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch), iPad Pro (11‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation), iPad (7th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (11‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (4th generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (4th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Zach Gage 2020
- In-App Purchases
- Full Game Unlock $3.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.