Easily and quickly identify and locate stars, planets, comets, constellations, galaxies and more by simply pointing to the sky. Your personal telescope to the wonders in the night sky. Go outside and explore with GoSkyWatch Planetarium.
***** As seen in Apple's iPad 2 event
***** Featured on ABC's "The View"
***** Featured in "Wired" magazine
No in-app purchases! One download for your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. We don't think you should pay twice for the same app on a bigger screen.
--- What People Are Saying
"Powerful and easy to use, with excellent animation and the widest zoom range." — D.Schroeder, University professor
"GoSkyWatch Planetarium should not be missed regardless of whether you are a casual or hard-core fan of astronomy." — AppAdvice
"I have more than 10 astronomy apps on my iPhone and this is by far the best. Everything I need and easy to use." — Pat, iTunes reviewer
--- What makes GoSkyWatch different to other apps?
• Easy to use — No buttons to press or modes to select, just point to the sky to start exploring.
• Designed specially for efficient outdoor use.
• Touch free identification — Information pops up on screen as you move. Great for those cold nights with gloves on!
• Popup images — No need to keep zooming in and out just to see what is out there.
• Full 180 degree display — See at a glance what is in the sky and where without having to pan around.
• Don't need to hold level — Displays the sky view and information at the correct orientation when held at any angle not just landscape or portrait.
• Gyroscope compass auto calibration — No need to calibrate the gyroscope. Advanced adaptive algorithms for smooth and accurate positioning.
• Planets shown with relative brightness to stars — No oversized graphics that prevent you from distinguishing a planet from surrounding stars.
• Unique target identification — Touch drag scheme for greatest accuracy since your finger doesn't hide what you are trying to identify.
• Minimal on screen text — Stars and planets easier to identify since they are not covered by text.
• On screen object name, brightness and distance
• Contains all stars visible to the naked eye
• Light adjustment for viewing conditions
• Red light mode for night vision
• Touchless navigation even for the iPod touch without a compass.
• Looking for a planet, star, comet, constellation or galaxy? Just use the finder and let the arrow guide the way
• Search stars and DSOs sorted by name, distance or magnitude
• Moon phase calendar
• Sun rise/set times
• Day, sidereal and time lapse animation
• Over 200 images of planets and deep sky objects
• Messier and Caldwell catalogs with images
• Actual image taken of the Milky Way
• Below horizon display
• Look back in time with the birthday star search. Find out how old you were for the star light seen.
• Constellation images, boundaries and patterns
• Solar system, star, comet, DSO, constellation Wikipedia
• Ian Ridpath's constellation StarTales
• Interactive graphical ephemeris
• Planet, star, constellation and DSO ephemeris data
• High performance graphics
• Easy setup using auto location or built in city list
• Location favorites
* No internet connection required. Internet optionally used for auto location, viewing Wikipedia information and StarTales.
Many more enhancements to come as free updates.
Free International Space Station real time tracking and viewing opportunities available with the companion GoISSWatch app.
- Added tap to expend telescope view
- Added tap compass button to toggle motion control
- Updated icons
- Fade out home bar
- Fix to manual location coordinate entry
- iOS Updates
Ratings and Reviews
GoSkyWatch (I apparently rated this sometime ago)
Fantastic!!! Best program of its kind that I have found. The more I use it the more I discover things that it is capable of doing. (Like tracing out the sun Analemma as a function of time.) I input my own location with a high degree of accuracy and find extremely good accuracy in everything else that it calculates. I find the accuracy of the program to be Impressive. The display is very realistic as to the relative brightness of the stars and constellations, just the way you see them. I feel you are to be congratulated for creating such a versatile program. Being able to choose between ordinary time, the mean solar day or sidereal days is very useful. In fact, that is what allows you to see the Analemma traced out over the course of a year with a time function of your choosing with a simple flick of your finger.
I simply love this app.
This app is a joy to learn. It’s intuitive enough that I figured much of it out just by trying, and it did not seem like I had to struggle much. It’s well designed, very responsive, and has all kinds of useful information. On cloudy nights when the telescope isn’t an option I simply “virtually stargaze” with this app.
For someone just starting out this is a perfect way to begin to learn about astronomy. I downloaded this app to help my family point a telescope at the night sky for the first time. After about an hour I was able to discover when and where the stars (and planets) rise and set, and I used this information to successfully point the telescope using a compass heading and degrees of inclination. Both the compass and the level (for degrees of inclination) are available on a smartphone.
If you are at all curious about the cosmos, download this app!
This App really turned me on to astronomy.
I love it. I play with the controls all the time, spin it through time, watch the constellations circle with the seasons and time of day, follow the Milky Way, learn a lot about the motions of the sky and Earth. And of course all that info about celestial bodies. Amazing filtering and modes. It's just fascinating and well worth the upgrade to track comets.
Has a red light mode, but kinda impractical unless the whole device is in night mode using Apple accessibility dimming. Not practical in a Dark Sky park where only red lights are allowed after dark.
I hold this up to the sky outside at home, and I'm fine. I wish the center ID hotspot was MOVEABLE -- that would be a huge UX improvement. I strain to rotate an ipad with screen rotation on trying to train things into the center for the audio and visual identification.
I wish the user view was more configurable so I can rest this on a table as if I were looking up at the sky.
And better saved settings.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- GoSoftWorks Development Co.
- 103.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 GoSoftWorks Development Co.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.