- TIME Magazine’s 15 Fantastic Gadgets
“Perfect for hiking or mountain biking.”
“The GPS Kit app... has a number of excellent outdoor uses, especially [for] hiking, biking or geocaching.”
- NBC’s ‘The Browser’ Radio Show
“Most beneficial for adventure-type guys.”
GPS Kit is a top-of-the-line GPS system for adventurers and professionals in the great outdoors.
GPS Kit HD takes full advantage of the larger screen to bring you an all-around completely immersive experience. The same powerful menus and tabs can now be shown at the same time as the map, giving you more context and information at all times.
**A note on iPad types: the 4G/LTE version of the iPad has excellent GPS reception, even without Internet connection. The wifi-only iPad does not use true GPS, so, while the app may still prove useful, it will not necessarily get an accurate location.
Designed for outdoor activities such as hiking, hunting, camping, GIS field collection, researching, skiing, cycling, geocaching, mountain biking, motorcycling, off-roading, fishing, and other romping in or out of the backcountry--anywhere in the world.
Highest Quality Mapping
- Fastest maps in the App Store
- Smooth, elegant interaction
- Offline Mode enables use out of cell range & without data connection
- Unlimited map types available using customization
Simple Data Handling
- Mail links for Google Earth & map viewing--including mobile browsers!
- View full-color thumbnails of previous outings and data sets
- Group tracks and waypoints together to keep track of outings
- Most options for export and import of tracks and waypoints
- Open KML, KMZ, & GPX from Mail & Safari
- Attach KML & GPX files to email
- Export GPX & KML through iTunes for USB transfer
- Share your adventures on Facebook and Twitter
- Add photos and notes to waypoints that display on map
- Drag map to reposition while coordinates update
- UTM, USNG, MGRS
- Long-press to quickly drop a waypoint
- Navigate to waypoints using the magnetic compass
- See distance to waypoint update in real-time on the map
Weather Stations (U.S. Only)
- Create "weather stations" to get point forecasts
- Get data specific to your favorite fishing hole, ski tour, etc.
- Data provided by the National Weather Service
Intelligent Data Collection
- Uses maximum GPS accuracy
- Real satellite positioning even without cell signal (iPad 3G)
- Auto-segmentation of tracks prevents messed up tracks
Fully Customizable Dashboard
- Gorgeous high contrast display for outdoor viewing
- Huge variety of customizable parameters and units
- Time, Trip Time, Track Time
- Elevation Change
- Custom Formatted Position (Lat/Long, UTM, MGRS, USNG)
- Accuracy, Speed, Odometer, Avg Speed, Max Speed, Pace, Avg. Pace
- Moving Time, Stopped Time, Direction
- 3 Equally customizable dashboard cells on map
Loaded with Related Utilities
- Elevation and speed graphs
- On-map ruler with multi-touch area measurements
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- updated to 64 bit
- updated for new screen sizes
- fixed weather stations
- fixed sharing
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Crashes. Lousy Support. Don’t Waste Your Money
I got this app to manage waypoints and track from my Garvin GPS. The app does import GPX files, but it will not let you create tracks. For that you need track editor. Then buying Track Editor I found it simply crashes on opening the GPX files from and email attachment and exported directly from the GPS Kit.
You can do cool stuff with your waypoints, if this think pix and Facebook and all that stuff is cool, but when it comes to basic mapping functions - as loaded with bells and whistles as this app “appears”, it will let you down.
Writing support I provided the device, OS, and version of this software with a list of the bugs I found in GPS Kit and Track Editor. After a few days they responded asking me for the device, OS, and version of their software I was using. (DUH!). Then they gave me a blurp on their features, never addressing the question that these features do not work or are crashing on the iPad.
Don’t waste you money on a pretty, but dysfunctional app, and also requirers you to buy additional apps that crash unless you want useless Support to help you out.
Great for Backpacking even with limited support
I bought this app about two years ago while looking for something simple to store POI and images on my trips. Currently using it ons wifi iPad 1 with a Bad Elf attachment for GPS. Tracking and data collection features work great (elevation change, speed, time moving vs stopping, etc). If I had any complaints it would be that only one picture can be attached per waypoint (an album option would be nice) and there does not seem to be a way to reorganize trips if you happen to accidentally star a new trip. Customer support IS sluggish but they do eventually respond. 4 weeks later. Overall not a bad app for the money.
They fixed it
It was working fine until they updated. Absolutely nothing worked for a while. I gave a bad review and got an email very quickly explaining some last minute changes goofed it up. Then when I updated at least 100 of my waypoints disappeared. Of course as soon as I complained about it, they appeared and everything was back to normal. I love this app and how I can make my fishing on Clear Lake, CA waypoints on Google Earth and import them to my GPS Kit.
The customer service from Garafa is second to none. Hoping for pre-track drawing soon.
- Garafa, LLC
- 34.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Garafa, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.