Grammaticus gives you iOS-native versions of three of the most indispensable grammars for the study of Greek and Latin—Smyth's Greek Grammar, Allen and Greenough's New Latin Grammar, and Goodwin's Syntax of the Moods and Tenses of the Greek Verb—and augments them with powerful tools for searching and navigation. With Grammaticus, you get the full texts of these three works, as they appear on the Perseus Project website, along with the following features:
* Browse the table of contents for each work, or enter any section's number to jump to it instantly—no Internet connection required!
* Full-text search capabilities in English, Greek and Latin: search for "ablative absolute" to find all sections discussing the ablative absolute, or find every word beginning with γιγν- or ending in -ibus.
* Want to see all citations of a particular author? You can search for citations by author or work, and then view the cited passages as they appear on the Perseus website (this last feature requires an Internet connection).
* Do you find yourself returning to the same few sections again and again? Grammaticus lets you bookmark specific sections for quick access, and it keeps a history of the sections you've visited.
The texts in Grammaticus are in the public domain, but they would not be available in their current form without the extraordinary efforts of the Perseus Digital Library and its editor-in-chief Gregory Crane. If you like this app, please consider donating to Perseus: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/help/support.jsp
- Added support for Dark Mode.
- Added support for Dynamic Type.
- Added multi-window support on iPad: open a text in a new window by dragging its table cell, or drag a specific section (or search result) to open it separately.
- Switched icons to use SF Symbols for a more consistent look.
Ratings and Reviews
Any classicist knows how cumbersome Smyth can be and this app does a fantastic job streamlining the process of looking up grammatical phenomena. I'm a graduate student in classics and need to use Smyth as well as Allen & Greenough frequently and this app is perfect for quick references. The search function really sets this app above the rest. Being able to search for grammatical phenomena, simple words, phrases, and citations of Greek Texts really makes this an essential app for anyone who studies Latin and Greek.
Selfishly, I would love to see this app expanded to include texts such as Denniston's particles, North & Hillard's Greek Prose Comp, and Kuhner's Greek Grammar (this would be a massive task, but again, I'm just expressing my selfish wishes).
I love this app and really look forward to seeing how it progresses!
Great for what it is...
That is to say, not a replacement for the bound books themselves, which are much easier to thumb through and find connections. Still, when one is on the go or does not have the texts handy, it is extremely useful. Search for terms in Greek, Latin, and English is nice. (One weird 'glitch': the screen will display "no result found" as you are typing. The searches show up fine once you have clicked 'search'). I would have preferred to have the index accessible though. Although searchable text helps replace the index's function to a degree, there is still something useful about being able to see all the entries relevant to e.g. ut as the editor arranges them rather than having to scroll through all the instances it shows up in the full text, since sometimes one isn't quite sure what to look for. Overall, a worthwhile purchase and nice addition for working on the plane and those moments while at the supermarket you just have to know all the independent uses of the optative.
I second the wish for a Denniston, although all that staring into a tiny screen might eventually make me go blind.
Thanks to Perseus
And thanks to the individual developers. This is a fine app, very helpful to students on the road, away from their books. One problem: bookmarks are not kept once the app is closed. One must refind sections of the grammar each time one needs them. This can be tedious.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Adrian Packel
- 54.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-19 Adrian Packel
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.