Grim Quest: Origins is a classic turn-based RPG / Dungeon Crawler with clean aesthetics and a retro vibe. It puts a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and immersion, using carefully picked music, vibrant visuals, and lots of written text, which paints a vivid world of an exotic tropical archipelago. Some roguelike elements are thrown in for good measure. Reminiscent of pen and paper DnD (D&D).
*** FEATURES ***
- immerse in a rich fantasy world with its own history and lore
- defeat enemies and fight boss battles in a classic turn-based combat system
- customize your character with many unique spells, as well as active and passive skills
- select one of 7 character backgrounds and personalize your character with 50+ special perks that each affect gameplay in their own way
- experience the game world through a variety of interactive, text-based events
- manage your own ship and crew as you explore a wild tropical archipelago
- acquire weapons, armors, acessories, consumable items, crafting ingredients and more
- complete quests, collect bounties and find scattered pieces of lore
- relax or add suspense with 4 difficulty levels, optional permadeath and other adjustable settings
*A standalone prequel to Grim Quest - Old School RPG, set in the same world, several centuries in the past.
- fixed player auto-move to tiles that also contain events, etc. after combat
- other minor bug fixes and typo corrections
Ratings and Reviews
Quit after mid game
Good sequel to the first game. It adds a lot of mechanics that the first one was missing. The first one pulled off what it had a lot better though.
In the first game I just wished there was more items and gear slots. This game has the gear slots, but the items feel worthless. Trying to grind for very few drops. Haven’t found good boots or a decent helmet since the start?
Had to switch from slashing to hacking, just to stay competitive with mid game. Even then with over 40% crit, it seems the enemy tears you down with overpowered spells and damage. Insane armor values and no armor pen in this game.
Not sure if I’m too casual, but everything feels half baked.
Nice Rogue-like Grinder
Enjoyable RL, interesting theme and addition of the ship management adds a new dimension. Interface is better than first but still tedious, especially inventory and in-town. In-town I should be able to access and manage inventory and/or stash from within any city area related to items: merchant, character, blacksmith, crafting, etc. I should also be able to compare equipped items with merchant items without having to exit the merchant, open char screen then exit, open merchant, rinse and repeat. Very tedious. Same for bounties; why are bounties not managed from a single gui? You get bounties from tavern but can’t cash them in or track progress there, you manage them via Journal. Shouldn’t I have my journal with me while I’m in the tavern, that’s where my stash is, did I leave my journal outside?
Great text based game
I bought both of this developers games. Happy with both. This game is hard. This is a text based game, which I like. I think the developers has a big set of balls to develop an old-school game like this in this generation of players. This game will not just give wins, you have to grind and earn it. Thanks for having a big set of balls and making a game for old school players. I’m giving you 4 stars because I am old school and there can always be improvement. I’d like an option to camp while on quest. I don’t see that in either games. Am I missing that?
Developer Response ,
Thanks! Outdorsman skill in GQ and Bunk Beds ship upgrade in GQ:O are something like camping, try them out :)
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Monomyth d.o.o.
- 157.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2022 Monomyth d.o.o
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock Full Game $4.99
- THANKS! (Manifestation Device) $23.99
- Thanks! (Warrior Item Pack) $9.99
- Thanks! (Mage Item Pack) $9.99
- Thanks! (Rogue Item Pack) $9.99
- Thanks! (Barbarian Item Pack) $9.99
- Thanks! (Cleric Item Pack) $9.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.