If Y Combinator is your first and only stop for tech news or just a great way to keep up with the world of technology, Hacker Bar will keep you up to date.
Hacker Bar lives in the Mac menu bar and provides a steady stream of the top news stories from the Y Combinator news aggregator. Here are some of Hacker Bar’s great features.
- Grabs the top stories from Y Combinator and seamlessly refreshes them as they update using the Firebase.io Hacker News official API.
- Puts a check mark beside each viewed story. Never again wonder if a link has been visited and use this feature to quickly jump back to any interesting article.
- Allows multiple stories to open in a new tab by group linking articles. If the web browser is open and the active application, stories will open in the background without closing the Hacker Bar menu.
- Gives easy access to comments with a click of the comment count bubble. Here, registered users can up-vote articles and get flame wars started even faster!
- Can be set to auto start on login, never missing another great Y Combinator story!
Hacker Bar will keep every person interested in the tech world hooked into the news from Y Combinator in seamless simplicity. Download the App today to quickly and discretely check Hacker News.
Hacker Bar and Off The Grid Apps, LLC are not affiliated with Y Combinator or Hacker News. This application is Open Source! https://github.com/OTGApps/Hacker-Bar
- Updated to use the official Hacker News API
- Support for Yosemite "Dark Mode"
- Speed improvements and other misc fixes.
Don't forget, Hacker Bar is open source! Check out the whole change list here: https://github.com/OTGApps/Hacker-Bar/compare/v1.1.1...v1.2.0
Ratings and Reviews
Wont open in OSX 10.10
After updating OS hacker bar no longer works.
Out of the way
I know it’s crazy but I love not having to open a browser tab just to see what is currently on the front page of Hacker News. Super easy to click the Y in the menu bar and then either follow a link or just close out and get back to work.
The tool seems to work for a while, and then it will stop updating with a perpetual spinner going on the Y in the menu bar. Instead of giving any indication in the list of articles that it hasn’t updated when you click the Y, it just shows stale results.
- Mohawk Apps, LLC
- 3.2 MB
OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2013-2014 Off The Grid Apps, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.