More Hacker! More News!
Hakn is a slim, easy reader for Hacker News (news.ycombinator.com). Hakn leverages pleasing design and HN’s latest Firebase API to offer a new take on the story- and comment-reading experience.
• enjoy HN content with a clean, minimal UI
• read stories, read comments, that’s it
• use swipe gestures for smooth screen navigation
• expand and collapse comments with a tap
Hakn uses the latest iOS8 libraries, including WebKit for improved web page performance. Also, Hakn is written in Swift :)
Note that HN’s Firebase v1.0 API is currently read-only and fairly limited, so numerous Hacker News features (login, upvoting, commenting, etc) are not yet supported. More info on the HN API is available at https://github.com/HackerNews/API
Ratings and Reviews
Clean and responsive
Nice job! This feels very polished for a 1.0 release. Also really dig the logo. A few suggestions:
- let us access the share widget from the comments page - sometimes what I want to share or save is the comment page itself
- please show comment count on main form - dont make us swipe right to see it
- nav to comment page should not occur until swipe gesture is complete (finger is lifted) -- the way it works now it takes you there as soon as you start to pull
- it would be great if there was an option to automatically expand all comments/subcomments
- I would like a slightly darker / higher contrast color scheme, or better yet customizable bgcolor and fgcolor (font color)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.